Chal nostalgia, comments?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 22, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
70507815-L.jpg

Why this photo, darned if I know, well I do know, but ..........
does anyone else, or is it just me that it speaks to.
I certainly did not take this photo for the challenge, I took it because
it was a flower and the light was really, really good at this angle.

I have it in regular color, it is gorgeous in my opinion,
but this is the one that makes me cry....

Weep for a beautiful world
5/19/2006

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 20, 2006
    I like this but not for its nostalgic look. It's nicely exposed and sharp.
    A bit noisey though.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I like this but not for its nostalgic look. It's nicely exposed and sharp.
    A bit noisey though.

Thanks, Ian for the comment. I am afraid of the lack of noticeable nostalgia. My grandmother had a garden. I used to ...........and that is all I really can say.

I can't believe that it is noisy as I didn't notice any noise even at extreme close ups when I was working to make sure all the dust spots were off. But I can see why you would say that. Oh, well, I will look again.

ginger
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 20, 2006
    I'm terrible with flower names. But the petals of this remind me of an
    antique rose. You sometimes see them crawling up the side of a redwood
    tree and they're just gorgeous. That's what this reminds me of. Those
    antique roses.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    I think it's a lovely, simple image, Ginger. I do find the noise in the top third of the sky to be a bit ugly, however. Because it's clumpy, it's a distraction.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited May 20, 2006
    I do see the noise in this version. Heck, I don't know enough to know if it is noise or artifact. But it is evident. I looked at the colored version and didn't notice the same amt of noise, however there is a lot of blue, etc. So I took some of the noise out. Plus I did the same with the "pink" version. This is getting to be academic, I am not moved as much, in terms of the past, by the colored version, which I do think is a better photograph. But I did want to see, what I could see.......

70523670-L.jpg

Above the colored version.

Below is the other version run thru Noise Ninja, but I think it is still there. Actually Noise Ninja did not recognize it...........but it was a little noisy elsewhere, so I ran it through. I don't know what it is, nor do I know what to do about it.

70523684-L.jpg
    edited May 20, 2006
    Sweetgrass Baskets, a low country tradition
    70534713-L.jpg

In this area of the southeast coast, sweetgrass basket making is a talent, art, handed down through generations of black women. These baskets are displayed in the Smithsonian. Unfortunately this is a dying industry, or a totally changing one as the highway projects literally engulf the stands from which these baskets have been sold in any recent memory.

Nostalgia, most definitely, but is it just regional or do others know about it. I consider myself fortunate to have been able to photograph a woman at work on a basket with her baskets for sale on the traditional type rack that has held these baskets for many years. It is only now, due to progress and the need to continue with this heritage that some artists are allowing themselves to be photographed.

This woman does her work in the shade of a large oak tree at Boone Hall Plantation outside of Mt Pleasant, SC. I have promised her a photograph, and I shall make one. She said she is always there on Mon and Wed, it was Fri, 5/19/2006 that I saw her and asked if I could take her photograph. I did not think it was good enough, but through putting three photographs together in a collage, I have more completely told the story of the "past" that is related to these women and the baskets they make.

The main photograph is of the woman herself with her baskets for sale to your left. Blended in is a photograph of the original slave cabins for the house slaves at that plantation. To your left in the bottom corner is a photograph of her hands with the fine art she learned from the women who went before.

This is as told on the internet:

"Sweetgrass basket making has been part of the Charleston and Mt. Pleasant communities for more than 300 years. Brought to the area by slaves who came from West Africa, basket making is a traditional art form which has been passed on from generation to generation."

Those are the words of Mary A. Jackson and Marguerite S. Middleton.
    They are two well known Sweetgrass Basket Artists.

ginger

(I don't know if that is nostalgia or history, but it is the best I have right now. And it is also the best collage I have ever done. In the CS2 book, Scott Kelby has new instructions which made the collage easier and better.)

To point out that I took all three photographs sitting at the same place, yesterday, under the same live Oak tree as she is under. I just changed lenses.
    I used my 16-35mm and my 70-200, if memory serves me, and I think it does. It was cool there, hot in the sun.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Well, to me the flower shot does seem to fit with nostalgia. I like the toning you applied and the simplicity of it. To me, nostalgia usually takes me to a time when life was simpler and this composition evokes that.

Erich
    edited May 20, 2006
    Yes, to me "nostalgia" is a feeling.

And I am sure there are better entries than my flower shot, but it evokes a feeling in me.

The Sweetbasket woman, that is bittersweet! But it is more history than personal.

I am sure that she will like the picture!

However, I don't know how to get that artifact/noise out of the toned photo. It is better now, but it is still there a bit??

ginger
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    I LOVE the flower Ginger, flowers are things that are not noticed now days as much as they used to be.......and it reminds me of when I was little, and had to smell and touch everything.......I even love the "full color" one.......very much so clap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    Ginger - I love the flower. It's reminiscent of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes, to me "nostalgia" is a feeling.

And I am sure there are better entries than my flower shot, but it evokes a feeling in me.

The Sweetbasket woman, that is bittersweet! But it is more history than personal.

I am sure that she will like the picture!

However, I don't know how to get that artifact/noise out of the toned photo. It is better now, but it is still there a bit??

ginger

Ginger,

Noise isn't always bad and sometimes it even adds more feeling to the image if it looks "right". You may want to try adding noise so the blotchy patterns aren't so noticeable.

Erich
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Noise, Schmoise!rolleyes1.gif
    Go with what YOU like!
    They are both good.