All comments and ideas welcome

70472828-L.gif

......thank you for your comments and ideas ahead of time :):
True happiness is wanting what you have
http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Oh, this is great! I would have loved it without the animation, but....now I know I have something else I need to learn how to do!!!! clap.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 20, 2006
    All comments and ideas welcome
    ......thank you for your comments and ideas ahead of time :):
    I think this is excellent. I'm not so sure about the animation. It is a cool effect, but animated GIFs are contemporary and to me that works against the nostalgia theme. In another context it would be great but I wouldn't use it for the challenge. The image is strong enough without it.

Just my € .02.

Regards,
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I think this is excellent. I'm not so sure about the animation. It is a cool effect, but animated GIFs are contemporary and to me that works against the nostalgia theme. In another context it would be great but I wouldn't use it for the challenge. The image is strong enough without it.

Just my € .02.

Regards,

Thank You my friend, I can relate to your thoughts on the animation....I will think about that......:D
    edited May 20, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Oh, this is great! I would have loved it without the animation, but....now I know I have something else I need to learn how to do!!!! clap.gif

I have lots of help to offer if you would like.....just pm me anytime :D
    edited May 20, 2006
    Hmmm... I'm thinking about what Richard said. I sorta agree. But...everything about the shot, the old theater, the movie title, the processing used says "nostalgia". The animation reminds us that were in the present reflecting upon the past. I don't know what I'm rambling about! It might work against you in the contest or it might work for you. I personally, like your creativity and daring. :D
  • CharbuCharbu Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Blinking or animated neon signs have been around for years. When I think of the old theater signs or diner signs I think of movement. The marquees had movement, that was the delivery system for the advertising. The more the sign blinked the more you looked at it. While we are all use to photos being still and telling their stories, I think it a novel touch to add a little animation. Just goes to show the many different ways a photo can speak to us. I like it.
    edited May 20, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Hmmm... I'm thinking about what Richard said. I sorta agree. But...everything about the shot, the old theater, the movie title, the processing used says "nostalgia". The animation reminds us that were in the present reflecting upon the past. I don't know what I'm rambling about! It might work against you in the contest or it might work for you. I personally, like your creativity and daring. :D

You're absolutely right, it would be fun and interesting to see how it works out....
    eek7.gifscratch:D
    edited May 20, 2006
    Charbu wrote:
    Blinking or animated neon signs have been around for years. When I think of the old theater signs or diner signs I think of movement. The marquees had movement, that was the delivery system for the advertising. The more the sign blinked the more you looked at it. While we are all use to photos being still and telling their stories, I think it a novel touch to add a little animation. Just goes to show the many different ways a photo can speak to us. I like it.

Thank You.....I love yours too.....the drive in movie theatre brings back lots of wonderful memories iloveyou.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    I love it!

Too bad I never related to that movie!!! But it is so appropriate.

I had not thought about the movement being contemporary. Now that I think! However it does make it memorable and is eye catching!

Who is going to write a tutorial on how to do that, or do you need to buy something?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited May 20, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love it!

Too bad I never related to that movie!!! But it is so appropriate.

I had not thought about the movement being contemporary. Now that I think! However it does make it memorable and is eye catching!

Who is going to write a tutorial on how to do that, or do you need to buy something?

ginger

Aww, Thank You :D
    Just PM me anytime Ginger, I have links to some free programs and I can help with any questions as you go along.......well........MOST questions anyway :D
    edited May 20, 2006
    Aww, Thank You :D
    Just PM me anytime Ginger, I have links to some free programs and I can help with any questions as you go along.......well........MOST questions anyway :D
    Hey, here's an idea. Don't know whether this is possible, but it would be fabulous if you could change the animation so that instead of flat letters it looked like brightly colored incandescent or neon lights. Charbu is right that blinking stuff is really quite old. So maybe try making the animation look old too. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    edited May 20, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hey, here's an idea. Don't know whether this is possible, but it would be fabulous if you could change the animation so that instead of flat letters it looked like brightly colored incandescent or neon lights. Charbu is right that blinking stuff is really quite old. So maybe try making the animation look old too. mwink.gif

Cheers,

Haha, its funny you mentioned that.....my favorite color is hot pink, but I had thought of dgrin flourescent green, or a flourescent blue, or even RED letters...........
    edited May 20, 2006
    Haha, its funny you mentioned that.....my favorite color is hot pink, but I had thought of dgrin flourescent green, or a flourescent blue, or even RED letters...........
    Go for it thumb.gif. Another thought is to animate the letters of the theater sign instead. That would give you more room to work in. Like, say, a neon outline that flashes on and off, or lights up each letter in turn then flashes the whole thing and shuts off.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Regards,
    edited May 20, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Go for it thumb.gif. Another thought is to animate the letters of the theater sign instead. That would give you more room to work in. Like, say, a neon outline that flashes on and off, or lights up each letter in turn then flashes the whole thing and shuts off.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Regards,

I like ALL those ideas......I will see if I can pull any of them off :D

Thank You.....you are too nice :D
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    You do some wonderful animations, and your perspective is always refreshing. It is nice to see a photo which doesn't quite fit into an expected format.thumb.gif
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
    edited May 20, 2006
    wizard444 wrote:
    You do some wonderful animations, and your perspective is always refreshing. It is nice to see a photo which doesn't quite fit into an expected format.thumb.gif

Oh........you are such a nice Wizard :D
  • seek2lurnseek2lurn Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    I think it's great! The way the neon sign lights up get's your attention and and makes you feel the nostalgia. Goes really well with the old time style of the theater building. I always loved that movie. :): Great job Saynt.:D

http://seek2lurn.smugmug.com/
    edited May 21, 2006
    I'm really glad you like it Seek, thank you for stopping by .....great to hear from you clap.gif
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Nice shot!

Classical overall idea nicely presented.

Theaters in general create a separate reality from the world outside.
    Isolating the building from the background enhances that separate reality.

The subtle tones and colors are reminiscent of a previous era.
    Even the name is nostalgic.

The animation is an attention grabber.
    Reminds me of a Turner Classic Movie promo...to my thinking, a professional presentation.

Good job! thumb.gif
    edited May 21, 2006
    MarkSB wrote:
    Nice shot!

Classical overall idea nicely presented.

Theaters in general create a separate reality from the world outside.
    Isolating the building from the background enhances that separate reality.

The subtle tones and colors are reminiscent of a previous era.
    Even the name is nostalgic.

The animation is an attention grabber.
    Reminds me of a Turner Classic Movie promo...to my thinking, a professional presentation.

Good job! thumb.gif

WOW.........THANK YOU.......and from such a respected photographer.......I really feel thrilled ......that made me really happy :):
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    I'm not sure if animated gifs are allowed as an entry, I think it would be more like a movie or a short clip than a photograph if you ask me. but do remember that the photos must be 150kb or less in size and when you degrade animations to fit a certain size, you're going to lose a lot of the distinct quality from normal to smaller sizes.

now about your photo, i think its a good idea, however, to me, the only nostalgic presence in it is the old gone with the wind flyer/photo. also, it looks like you edited the entire banner area and recreated the banner on your own, rather than allowing it to look authentic. the edges of the letters and the black rectangle also have a lot of..i think the term best describing it would be 'noise'. it looks like a highly degraded jpeg image.

i really think you should reshoot and have more ideas and photos ready and not just stick to this one alone. theres still plenty of time left so you should keep at it.
    edited May 21, 2006
    Thank you for your help Mr Peas.....I will have to look into that, I had not noticed anywhere that gif's were not allowed...please link me if you know where that rule is.....and also I thought you had no size limitation if you linked to your own Smugmug site........please correct me if I am wrong, and I shall post a non animated version instead..... and again, thank you :Dthumb.gif
    edited May 22, 2006
    Thank you for your help Mr Peas.....I will have to look into that, I had not noticed anywhere that gif's were not allowed...please link me if you know where that rule is.....and also I thought you had no size limitation if you linked to your own Smugmug site........please correct me if I am wrong, and I shall post a non animated version instead..... and again, thank you :Dthumb.gif

You are ok Brig with the size since it is linked to your Smugmug site. And as far as my interpretation of the rules, which I quote "* let your creativity and imagination run wild. any and all photoshop etc :ps is allowed", I believe use of gifs would fall under "etc"??? Would it not???? To be cautious, I guess you should double-check with those "who know"!!!! mwink.gif
    edited May 22, 2006
    Well, I guess I could PM someone, but mostly, at least for me, the challenge is about having fun, and learning something....so I guess I will leave it for now since I had fun making it, and some people enjoy it :D I suppose even if I asked Andy, he would prolly say it is up to me.....just a guess.....dunno, shall see........thats part of the fun part :D

I'm pretty sure Andy would have told me by now, or deleted it if there was a no gif's rule.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Well, I see no issue with the animation. Nice touch! thumb.gif

Erich
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Sounds With In The Rules To Me
    Love the shot Great workthumb.gif . Don't let other opinions change your plan completely, i like the idea of the neon colors but it is above my knowlege, something i need to add to my ( get to know how to do list ).headscratch.gif
    xtnomad :wink
    edited May 23, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    Love the shot Great workthumb.gif . Don't let other opinions change your plan completely, i like the idea of the neon colors but it is above my knowlege, something i need to add to my ( get to know how to do list ).headscratch.gif

thank you xtnomad......I have gotten lots of ideas to try on this one.....it would be difficult to pick one rolleyes1.gif

so I think I will just stick with it as it is........just simple......the animated "Now Showing" just seemed like the right thing to do at the moment, and if peeps get a little giggle out of it, or feel like learning animation, then I am happy :D

animation is a LOT of fun........I hope you look into it.......its not hard at all :D