Options

Senior Portrait Drama

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited October 30, 2004 in People
Did my first Senior Portrait photo shoot today. Portraiture is not my strong suit, but I've been working on this area. I tried to persuade the mom to pick someone with the gear (lighting) to do this kinda work, but she begged me to do it.

So we picked today, subject to the weather. I called this morning and said that I thought it was too windy...mom thought it'd be fine. So out we go. And within 10minutes the daughter is in tears because the wind's blowing her har.

And there's no since shooting anymore because you can see that she's upset even when she smiles for the camera. So I say we should just stop and shoot another day. It's no big deal.

As we walk back to the car I say "oh, just for the fun of it, let's take this shot...and then that shot..." I say "none of these count, but while we're here I just want to get a look at this....then that". And within a few minutes we are back in business and she's having fun and we just deal with the wind....just like you have to deal with the sun.

Here's the gallery

I shot raw+jpg -- and these are the untouched jpg files. I'll do the retouching when (if) they pick the shots they like.

10588562-M.jpg

10588561-M.jpg

Lee

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    women.
    can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

this was probably what my dw was like at 18 :D

very nice shots, lee.

congrats on a well-handled situation!

andy
    leebase wrote:
    Did my first Senior Portrait photo shoot today. Portraiture is not my strong suit, but I've been working on this area. I tried to persuade the mom to pick someone with the gear (lighting) to do this kinda work, but she begged me to do it.

So we picked today, subject to the weather. I called this morning and said that I thought it was too windy...mom thought it'd be fine. So out we go. And within 10minutes the daughter is in tears because the wind's blowing her har.

And there's no since shooting anymore because you can see that she's upset even when she smiles for the camera. So I say we should just stop and shoot another day. It's no big deal.

As we walk back to the car I say "oh, just for the fun of it, let's take this shot...and then that shot..." I say "none of these count, but while we're here I just want to get a look at this....then that". And within a few minutes we are back in business and she's having fun and we just deal with the wind....just like you have to deal with the sun.

Here's the gallery

I shot raw+jpg -- and these are the untouched jpg files. I'll do the retouching when (if) they pick the shots they like.

10588562-M.jpg

10588561-M.jpg

Lee
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    Nice gallery, I like #8 a great deal.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2004
    andy wrote:
    can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

:hack I was really caught off guard with the crying. Women!
    very nice shots, lee.

congrats on a well-handled situation!

Thanks...it was fun. I'm a people person and it's fun to banter with girls. "Look at me....and imagine I'm Brad Pitt" and such.

Lee
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice gallery, I like #8 a great deal.

Thanks.

This one? 10588565-M.jpg

Lee
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    I like #8 best, too. I like the shots that "didn't" count.

I wonder what her mom was thinking of with letting her wear that coat. Smile.

Senior photos is what my husband shoots. For the studio, he works for, there is a bunch of money in it. I mean megabucks for a senior photo.

They spend a fortune on packages. I wouldn't do it when mine graduated. I would buy the wallet size so they could exchange, but with the last kid that was high.

Good photos, good ideas on your "own" shots.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like #8 best, too. I like the shots that "didn't" count.

:)
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I wonder what her mom was thinking of with letting her wear that coat. Smile.

It was a little cold....but I assume the liked the clothes...it was the second outfit that she put on.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Senior photos is what my husband shoots. For the studio, he works for, there is a bunch of money in it. I mean megabucks for a senior photo.

I'm not charging the mega-bucks yet. But, then again, I'm not out there with an assistant, lighting, reflectors, make-up artist etc.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Good photos, good ideas on your "own" shots.

Thanks

Lee
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    leebase wrote:
    :)

It was a little cold....but I assume the liked the clothes...it was the second outfit that she put on.

I'm not charging the mega-bucks yet. But, then again, I'm not out there with an assistant, lighting, reflectors, make-up artist etc.

Thanks

Lee
    Nice job.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    danmandanman Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    Nice
    There's some really nice colours in here. I especially like the ones where she is in the shade and the sunlight hits the background.

She should be v. happy!

Danny