Crab Spider Macro

troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited May 20, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hi all,

First go at macro photography using two flashes (580 430) in a pseudo ring-light set-up (two wimberley macro flash brackets - flashes aligned along the lens axis with a 1/3 step difference in flash power between the two units.) I beleive that the subject is a Crab Spider.

70507334-L.jpg

I have not ever shot with a dedicated ring-flash, so can't directly compare this method with the 'real' thing, but the weight (20D, 100 2.8, 2 brackets, 2 flashes) was doable (barely) for hand held work and the lighting was generally agreeable. The bulk is certainly much greater - but then again there are more handles to grab to support it... I spent about the same $ on the Wimberley brackets as I would have for a dedicated ring-light, so will need to find other uses for the brackets to validate the choice.

Image has been cropped and batch processed for display on the web (automated contrast and saturation enhancement in LAB, high-pass sharpening, and resizing for web viewing.)

All comments are welcome and thanks for looking,

Andy

Gallery at http://troutstreaming.smugmug.com/gallery/1475308/1/70507334
www.troutstreaming.com
Outdoor and Sports Media

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Nice shot thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery