dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited May 25, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I liked the old one better.

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    dugmar wrote:
    I liked the old one better.
    I think most people prefer the newer one, but, the old one is still available too mwink.gif
  • mrpitamrpita Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 21, 2006
    >>>the old one is still available too <<<

Where is it...I can't seem to find it and this new one is painfully slow
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 21, 2006
    mrpita wrote:
    >>>the old one is still available too <<<

Where is it...I can't seem to find it and this new one is painfully slow

At the bottom of the page, under the heading Legacy Uploaders.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • pronvitpronvit Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    fast and nice ActiveX changed to slow Java? they're crazy.. however if activex is available also that's not a problem
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 21, 2006
    pronvit wrote:
    fast and nice ActiveX changed to slow Java? they're crazy.. however if activex is available also that's not a problem

pronvit,

there are actually some not very nice things about the activex uploader.

1. It's limited to 100MB per upload
    2. If there is an error during the transmittion of any photo, none of the photos are uploaded.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    pronvit wrote:
    The ActiveX uploader was killing us and we'd love to retire it.

It had one nice feature, which is it showed progress on each individual photo, which seemed to generate the impression that it was faster.

But if you really don't like the new Universal uploader, there is always Send To SmugMug, which our users usually adore:

http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    upload frustration
    Baldy wrote:
    The ActiveX uploader was killing us and we'd love to retire it.

It had one nice feature, which is it showed progress on each individual photo, which seemed to generate the impression that it was faster.

But if you really don't like the new Universal uploader, there is always Send To SmugMug, which our users usually adore:

http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug

I understand the necessity of the change but for me the results are not very good.

I have never liked and tried to avoid the "Universal Drag & Drop" uploader. It has always seemed slower and it's not very reliable. It hangs up and nothing uploads or it says it uploaded the images but they never show up.

"Send to Smugmug" doesn't seem to work for me for some reason. I see the 'Send to Smugmug' in the right click menu but then I get a window that wants me to select a tool. Which tool would that be? I never have seen the window listed in the help screen. (I know I have .NET installed but I am not positive what version I am on. How can I check to see what version I have installed.)

I saw others in Dgrin having this same problem that talked about "Star*Explorer". So I downloaded & installed it. At first usage it appears to be a workable (if poorly documented) tool. Except the second time I tried to use it I could not figure out how to get my photos to the correct album as the album I wanted to upload them to did not show up in S*E! Nor did I see a method for refreshing the directory (at least not one that worked).

Which leaves the standard upload which doesn't help when you have several hundred images to upload.

So I have to agree with dugmar, while the old ActiveX uploader had issues it still worked better than any of our current alternatives.
  • GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Hehe, I also miss the old uploader *3rd option previously*.

How was it killing smugmug? Caused the server to slow down?

I dont suppose ftp would be an option?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    GerryDavid wrote:
    Did you try looking under the "legacy uploaders" to see of your uploader of choice was there?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    GerryDavid wrote:

How was it killing smugmug? Caused the server to slow down?

I dont suppose ftp would be an option?

nod.gif it's still there. Do like Ivar says and click "Legacy Uploaders"
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    mrcoons wrote:
    I understand the necessity of the change but for me the results are not very good.

I have never liked and tried to avoid the "Universal Drag & Drop" uploader. It has always seemed slower and it's not very reliable. It hangs up and nothing uploads or it says it uploaded the images but they never show up.

"Send to Smugmug" doesn't seem to work for me for some reason. I see the 'Send to Smugmug' in the right click menu but then I get a window that wants me to select a tool. Which tool would that be? I never have seen the window listed in the help screen. (I know I have .NET installed but I am not positive what version I am on. How can I check to see what version I have installed.)

I saw others in Dgrin having this same problem that talked about "Star*Explorer". So I downloaded & installed it. At first usage it appears to be a workable (if poorly documented) tool. Except the second time I tried to use it I could not figure out how to get my photos to the correct album as the album I wanted to upload them to did not show up in S*E! Nor did I see a method for refreshing the directory (at least not one that worked).

Which leaves the standard upload which doesn't help when you have several hundred images to upload.

So I have to agree with dugmar, while the old ActiveX uploader had issues it still worked better than any of our current alternatives.

After writing this I set about verifying that there were no issues with my PC that were causing problems. I ran several AV scans, 3 different spyware scans and reviewed/cleaned/compressed my registry. I have .NET version 2 installed. I uninstalled Windows Defender as I suspected it was causing problems (I know it was for a couple other applications). I checked my firewall logs to make sure there was no problems there and there were not.

So after all this I took 20 photos and attempted to upload them using the Universal Uploader. (I did not drag and drop, I used Browse to select my 20 photos. This is what I have done every time I used this tool. I don't think I mentioned that before.)

The first photo uploaded and then the upload process just stopped. The upload windows were still open but nothing was happening and no messages were generated. After a scream of anguish (I'm kidding) I closed the upload windows and used Star Explorer to upload the 20 photos. (It took me longer to figure out how to get S*E to put them in the right folder than it did to upload them! But that's another problem.)

I will admit that my old tired eyes did not see the "Legacy Uploaders" link until Andy's post made me go look at the page again. I will be going back to the Legacy Uploader for Windows and not using the Universal one any more.

ne_nau.gif
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif it's still there. Do like Ivar says and click "Legacy Uploaders"

Excellent, thanks!