A beach Bum and a few surfers

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited May 22, 2006 in Sports
Took these on saturday and was quite pleased with the results.
Comments and critque is always welcomed

70638281-L.jpg

70491584-L.jpg

70491291-L.jpg

70491142-L.jpg

70491057-L.jpg

Thanks for looking hopefully more to follow if the surf stays good.
May I take your picture?

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    mushy wrote:
    Comments and critque is always welcomed
    Great shots, all. I especially like number five - the way you have caught and then cropped the action is excellent.
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Love The Shots
    Great shotsthumb.gifthumb.gif , # 5 is right on. ylsuper.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    Cow-a-bunga Dude!!

Excellent Mushy thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Crisp, great color and really nice action. I even liked the easier to shoot beach bum shot....Laughing.gif Number 5 floats my boat too clap.gif

A very good days work :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Sigh, seeing that beautiful blue sky and clear water sure makes it even more torture for me since we are stuck in "June Gloom" down here in SoCal right now. The damned fog always ruins the photography in the morning sessions right now here.

Thanks for sharing the killer shots and making me long for clear days and tasty waves thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Sigh, seeing that beautiful blue sky and clear water sure makes it even more torture for me since we are stuck in "June Gloom" down here in SoCal right now. The damned fog always ruins the photography in the morning sessions right now here.

Thanks for sharing the killer shots and making me long for clear days and tasty waves thumb.gif
    I love shooting in the fog......maybe not surfing and such, but portraits and most other sports are great.....its like everything is lit by a softbox.....
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Thanks all for the positive comments, I went back on sunday for more but had 3 flat batteries due to a faulty charger:cry. oh well maybe next time.
    May I take your picture?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:

First of all, those last two shots are good surf shots. The beach bum is rather
    attractive too :D

Thinking today would be like yesterday, I headed over to The Lane today only
    to be greeted by rain (which it's been doing all day) and flat surf :(
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Funny thing about SoCal, where it can be pouring rain within 20 miles of you and you'd never even know it. I've been stuck in the Inland Empire all day today and all we had was some clouds so far. But at least the fog wasnt around all day I guess heh.

As for shooting surf in cloudy weather, unfortunately for me, it makes for a tough shoot since I prefer a fast shutter speed (1/1000th of a second at minimum) and low light/fog makes for a tough go at my ideal f9-13 stops. However, if I just got off my butt and buy a 400 f/2.8L, then light wouldnt be as much of an issue if I opened up that apeture. Anyone wanna donate $6500 to a beach rat like me so that I may buy that holy grail of sports photography that is the 400f/2.8L? wave.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    However, if I just got off my butt and buy a 400 f/2.8L, then light wouldnt be as much of an issue if I opened up that apeture. Anyone wanna donate $6500 to a beach rat like me so that I may buy that holy grail of sports photography that is the 400f/2.8L? wave.gif

hahaha! But the 400 might be too short :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Haha- Beach Bum not at all what I expected. iloveyou.gif

Love the colors in that second shot - widescreen crop looks cool too.
    Thanks!