To fix, or not to fix

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited September 6, 2006 in People
Here's a shot of a girl at yesterday's swim meet. It's a candid shot (my favorite) but that often means conditions are not ideal. I had to get the shot while her pose lasted, and the other girl and object in the foreground had to be lived with. But, that's not my quesition here.

Would you have touched her eye-brow?

ORIGINAL:

Comments

• NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Processed
    Here's how it looked after some Photoshopin'
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Yes.

That was a nice clean edit.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    I'll be interested in hearing responses on this-

at what point do you whiten teeth, retouch skin blemishes, etc.-

at some point you are pointing out those imperfections by fixing them and possibly offending the subject-

I would just have to go by my intuition, which, when it concerns other people's sensibilities, is not too impressive-
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    I'd think if it was distracting, fixing it would be ok. But remember that
    fixing doesn't always mean removing.

I'd probably fix that line that drops from the subjects left eye though.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 21, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    are pointing out those imperfections by fixing them and possibly offending the subject-
    That was my basic concern- yes, we will see.
    I often lighten teeth and fix obvious, transient blemishes, especially in teens.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Nimai wrote:
    That was my basic concern- yes, we will see.
    I often lighten teeth and fix obvious, transient blemishes, especially in teens.

Ask though. Some "blemishes" may actually be beauty marks, etc...
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    That was a pretty good clean up. It's not like you could just delete the whole thing. rolleyes1.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    My thought, for what it's worth, is the following:
    • For photos that will be shared with the subject and, possibly, retained by them for a long time, I clean up the transient skin blemishes, stray strands of hair, whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the eyes, enhance/insert catch lights in the eyes - whatever it takes to make the picture more "valued" by the subject. An example: Last Thursday, I visited a lady who raises goats. The lady also invitied some friends and their kids to come and "help" feed the new born baby goats. One of the young ladies, a very shy High School junior, has some of those minor, transient skin blemished that most of us suffered with at that age. Before I offer to the parents the images I took, I will be cleaning up her facial skin.
    • For photos such as this one, I would have done everything you did in post, except fill in the eyebrow, the concept being "it is what it is". The exception here, for me, would be if I knew the subject and I knew she did not really appreciate the break in her eye brow, then I would close it up as you did.
    So, if I had taken that image and since I don't know the young lady, I would have left it the way it was.
    edited May 22, 2006
    Scott,
    I agree with everything you said. I feel kind of guilty, but what pushed me over the edge to decide to fill in the eyebrowe was the challenge to see if I could do it. :| That's a lame reason, I know.
    Also as you mentioned, the descision is based on what the image is for. If it's for a magazine, "fix" anything and everything. If it's for the family or individual to treasure, then it is what it is.
    has some of those minor, transient skin blemished that most of us suffered with at that age. Before I offer to the parents the images I took, I will be cleaning up her facial skin.
    Would you (or they, I guess) mind if you posted a before and after in here, or is this forum too public?

Thanks.
  • HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Leave it alone. Changing the eyebrow does nothing to make the photo "better."
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Nimai wrote:
    Scott,
    I agree with everything you said. I feel kind of guilty, but what pushed me over the edge to decide to fill in the eyebrowe was the challenge to see if I could do it. :| That's a lame reason, I know.
    Also as you mentioned, the descision is based on what the image is for. If it's for a magazine, "fix" anything and everything. If it's for the family or individual to treasure, then it is what it is.

Would you (or they, I guess) mind if you posted a before and after in here, or is this forum too public?

Thanks.
    Sorry, can't do it. The photo is of a young lady, a legal minor, whose parents I don't know. In that circumstance, I don't post pictures without express permissions. Besides, the work I did wasn't that complicated or impressive, mostly just spot healing brush and some cloning. No big deal.
  • goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Senior Pictures
    Sorry, can't do it. The photo is of a young lady, a legal minor, whose parents I don't know. In that circumstance, I don't post pictures without express permissions. Besides, the work I did wasn't that complicated or impressive, mostly just spot healing brush and some cloning. No big deal.

I took some pictures of my daughter for her senior portraits. She has asked me to remove some of the facial blemishes on her forehead and chin. I am not familiar enough with PS to do this. ANyone care to post a tutorial iloveyou.gifon this?

Greg
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    I have no problem with touching up portraits. But snapshots? Who has the time?

Lee
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    I like the eyebrow natural. I think it adds character, and plus anyone who knows her expects to see it like that. I do like how you sharpened her eyes in the 2nd. I think I would of sharpened her eyes like you did in the 2nd and left here eyebrow alone. Other than that the retouch in # 2 for this shot is a TAD bit over done for my taste but over all very good.
    Best regards,
    douglas