Canon Digital Photo Professional HELP!

fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited May 22, 2006 in Finishing School
Alright I am trying to figure out how to convert the RAW images I have on my 20D. My digital photo professional says that I cannot convert the files that are saved on a memory card on the camera. But I can't seem to get the RAW images off fo the memory card to convert them. Any help that anybody could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Billy

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    fire1035 wrote:
    Alright I am trying to figure out how to convert the RAW images I have on my 20D. My digital photo professional says that I cannot convert the files that are saved on a memory card on the camera. But I can't seem to get the RAW images off fo the memory card to convert them. Any help that anybody could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Billy
    headscratch.gif

I work from my CF card all the time.

You wouldn't happen to be trying to save them back to the card by mistake, would you? Could you detail, with precision, exactly what you're doing?

The easiest solution is to use Windows Explorer and drag the folder from your CF card to a new folder on your hard drive.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    What I have tried is this. When I connect the 20D to the computer via the USB cable it brings up the photo and scanner wizard. When I run that it downloads all of the jpeg files but does not download the RAW files. When I look at the 20D in the "my computer" section the RAW files do not appear then either so I would not be able to drag and drop them fromt here. If I use the EOSViewer utility that came with the camera I can see them then but the only option I have when I highlight them is to erase them.

The Digital Photo Professional utility manual tells me that I cannot use the utility to work on files still on the CF card in the camera. But I can use the software that came with the camera to remove them. That is where the confusion comes in to it though. ne_nau.gif How do I get the RAW file fromt he camera to the computer so I can work on it?

Hopefully that inane ramblings makes it at least a little less murky :D
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    As I don't personally use DPP but Capture One DSLR I can't help you as to why DPP is refusing to deal with the raw files on the camera, but as far as transferring the raw files to the computer, get a card reader. They're a whole lot faster than transferring from the camera (even the $15 ones are an improvement in most cases), and they aren't picky about what you transfer to/from the card. You can even use a reader and card as a makeshift thumb drive; aside from the physical size difference, it's functionally the same.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    fire1035 wrote:
    ne_nau.gif How do I get the RAW file fromt he camera to the computer so I can work on it?

spending as little as $10 for a card reader / writer would be my suggestion.....I prefer not to hook my camras upto my computer, cause that one little power spike could kill the camera as well as the card.
    personally I have 2 stratitec usb reader / writers froim sams club..14.95, but there are really good cf card reader writers out there for approx $10, mine is a 26 card reader writer.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    You need to use EOS Utility to download the photos. DPP is only the RAW converter.

Go to the Canon site, and download EOS Utility . It will download all images on your camera, RAW and JPEG, and tag them as downloaded on the camera. Then you can use DPP to edit RAW.

I have no problems connecting my camera to my PC, when I turn on the camera power, EOS Utility launches and downloads files. It then launches Zoombrowser, which I do not like too much.
    edited May 21, 2006
    As far as card readers go can I use the one on my Canon printer? It has a CF slot.

Thanks,

Billy
  • Pam7Pam7 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    fire1035 wrote:
    What I have tried is this. When I connect the 20D to the computer via the USB cable it brings up the photo and scanner wizard. When I run that it downloads all of the jpeg files but does not download the RAW files. When I look at the 20D in the "my computer" section the RAW files do not appear then either so I would not be able to drag and drop them fromt here. If I use the EOSViewer utility that came with the camera I can see them then but the only option I have when I highlight them is to erase them.

The Digital Photo Professional utility manual tells me that I cannot use the utility to work on files still on the CF card in the camera. But I can use the software that came with the camera to remove them. That is where the confusion comes in to it though. ne_nau.gif How do I get the RAW file fromt he camera to the computer so I can work on it?

When you connect the 20d to computer, cancel the wizards for the scanner etc. Then click on the icon for eos utility. It brings up the eos utility screen. click the eos folder, then the dcim folder, then the +1 folder, then the folder that your pics are in. THEN drag that folder to the folder you want it in and wait for what seems an eternity for them to download to your harddrive folder.

Then you have to close out of the eos utility and reopen. Now you can finally work on pics.

The whole process is a royal pain in the arse. If anyone else has a faster way, besides purchasing anything else, please let me know.
    edited May 21, 2006
    The card reader is a simple device you plug into your computer's USB slot. Put your CF card in the reader, and it shows- up like another hard drive on My Computer.

Piece of cake.

Nothing to do with slotting your card in your printer.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited May 21, 2006
    Pam7 wrote:
    When you connect the 20d to computer, cancel the wizards for the scanner etc. Then click on the icon for eos utility. It brings up the eos utility screen. click the eos folder, then the dcim folder, then the +1 folder, then the folder that your pics are in. THEN drag that folder to the folder you want it in and wait for what seems an eternity for them to download to your harddrive folder.

Then you have to close out of the eos utility and reopen. Now you can finally work on pics.

The whole process is a royal pain in the arse. If anyone else has a faster way, besides purchasing anything else, please let me know.

I reckon $15 for a simple card reader is worth it, no?

CF_Reader1.jpg
    Sid.
    edited May 21, 2006
    That's cool I just figured if I could do the same thing with the card reader in the printer (Canon MP130) then I would just use that. I will look into one tomorrow. I will try out the above idea with the Canon utility shortly.

Thanks for all the help folks!
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Just about all MFPs that have card readers built into them will be functionally the same as a standalone reader. Plug your CF card into the printer and check My Computer to see if any of the existing "Removable Disk" drives can be opened, or if a new drive shows up all together.

Good luck! :D
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    fire1035 wrote:
    As far as card readers go can I use the one on my Canon printer? It has a CF slot.

Thanks,

Billy

Yes the card reader in your printer will work just fine