Ch 65: Holding hands

erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
edited May 26, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I know that when I think back on the past I reflect most often on the special quiet moments I spent with someone in my family. Today, my son and I were holding hands and as I look forward to the future I know that I will think back to these days when he was a boy and life was simple.

Comments welcomed!

Erich

70782967-L.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    I think it's a simple, but strong statement Erich. Your future nostalgia with your son, but to those who would glance upon it, it evokes memories of our own relationship with our own fathers. I would crop off the bottom part of the photo where it is a light strip and perhaps tone down or clone out the bright white spots on the lower right side. thumb.gif
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    It's a strong concept and *does* evoke feelings about past life which is what nostalgia is about, rather a photo of something old.

The photo as it is, is good and if you were to work on it I wouldn't disagree with saurora's comments. However, I think it would be enhanced if you had a bit of a wider crop to include just the edges the people's bodies. This would emphasis 'closeness' and make it a bit more personal. There's too much distance between the two people.

But if the extra detail is not there & you can't reshoot, submit this - it's good.

saurora wrote:
    I think it's a simple, but strong statement Erich. Your future nostalgia with your son, but to those who would glance upon it, it evokes memories of our own relationship with our own fathers. I would crop off the bottom part of the photo where it is a light strip and perhaps tone down or clone out the bright white spots on the lower right side. thumb.gif
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Its a wonderful sentiment, and has a nice feeling to it.....you captured a piece of the heart........I think you should go for it clap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    saurora wrote:

Thanks Saurora. I appreciate your feedback. I hesitated whether I wanted the flower on the right to show through or not. I see that at least from your perspective it is a distraction. I also wanted to get rid of the bottom but after I looked at the photo for a while I felt it provided a framing element almost like a worn edge on an old photo. I must have stared at it a bit too long. umph.gif

Erich
    edited May 23, 2006
    adrian_k wrote:
    It's a strong concept and *does* evoke feelings about past life which is what nostalgia is about, rather a photo of something old.

The photo as it is, is good and if you were to work on it I wouldn't disagree with saurora's comments. However, I think it would be enhanced if you had a bit of a wider crop to include just the edges the people's bodies. This would emphasis 'closeness' and make it a bit more personal. There's too much distance between the two people.

But if the extra detail is not there & you can't reshoot, submit this - it's good.

Thanks Adrian. I'll try your suggestion and see how it turns out. I originally thought about framing this in a landscape format but opted for the 8x10 portrait in the end.

Erich
    edited May 23, 2006
    Its a wonderful sentiment, and has a nice feeling to it.....you captured a piece of the heart........I think you should go for it clap.gif

Thank you! I'm certainly glad the challenge made me reflect on what's actually worth feeling nostalgic about. iloveyou.gif

Erich
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    I love photos like these, there's so many ways to interpret it can evoke diff thoughts and ideas from person to person. You can definitely use this shot. I would suggest to crop out the arms and focus more on the hands. I like the sepia look to it. Thats all you need to do really to make it stronger. Maybe I would soften the edges by blurring them to give a sort of lens baby look to it. But thats it.

Good luck!
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    very good idea and wonderful for the challenge.
  • CharbuCharbu Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Simple and sweet. Brings back memories of a childhood gone by. Who said a photo has to be complex to make such a powerful statement.
    edited May 26, 2006
    twinbnj wrote:
    very good idea and wonderful for the challenge.

Thanks! :):
    edited May 26, 2006
    Charbu wrote:
    Simple and sweet. Brings back memories of a childhood gone by. Who said a photo has to be complex to make such a powerful statement.

Thank you for your comments! I'm glad you were able to find it "simple and sweet". That's what I intended. :D

Erich