SM slow tonight?

mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited May 22, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am having several problem with SM tonight. Is SM under some unusual usage? Is it getting hammered by users or a backup process?

1) uploads are taking a LONG time. Using the standard HTML uploader (FF on Linux (RH WS 4). Typically it takes 4-6 sec per photo tonight it is taking 30 seconds per photo. Processing also appears to be taking quite a long time.

2) Rotate photos are taking a long time to complete. I have several galleries which now have several place holders and other galleries where a rotate I started 30 minutes ago appears to have not even started. Typically this is completed within a few minutes.

3) I moved some photos from one gallery to another and they still show up in the old gallery (its now named DELETE). If I click on the photo shown in the DELETE gallery it jumps me to the proper gallery.

I have tried clearing cookies and restarting the browser but that doesn't seem to help things.
Any ideas?

thanks,
-- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
http://www.michaelmcleod.com/

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 22, 2006
    My guess is that a lot of people are uploading photos from the weekend.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 22, 2006
    Partly my fault. I had over 400 photos to upload. I kept having to restart the process as it kept stopping after 5-9 photos. It was aggrivating to start the upload and walk away for 2 hours only to come back to find that it had frozen.

It was probably not SMs fault. But, my connection in general seemed pretty stable.

I did some tweaking of the StarExplorer settings to allow for longer response times and that seems to have helped me some.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 22, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Partly my fault. I had over 400 photos to upload. I kept having to restart the process as it kept stopping after 5-9 photos. It was aggrivating to start the upload and walk away for 2 hours only to come back to find that it had frozen.

It was probably not SMs fault. But, my connection in general seemed pretty stable.
    Ouch, if it was our fault I apologize. 400 photos in a batch should never create a problem for us.

When I checked last night there were only 44 photos in the queue being processed, so it certainly didn't look like we had a backup, but I'll check with ops this a.m.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 22, 2006
    Baldy,

Like I said, I don't think it was SM. I took a look at the Internet Traffic Report and there was a few peaks in the packet loss graph that corespond to the times I was having trouble. So it is entirely possible that it was not SM at all.

I started the upload again this morning and it appears that 268 loaded before it crapped out again. That is a better result. I have them loading from the home PC so it will be tonight before i can restart them. The great part is the resume feature that nikolai added to SE.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    smugmug hiccup'ed
    I took some hockey picture last night (~400) and uploaded over night using star explorer. I checked this morning, and I had two pictures that were partially uploaded. I doubt it was the connection since everything else was fine.
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Thanks for the followups. Upload was quite slow to both drgin and sm but I have come to expect that at times.

What caused real concern was the apparent slow (or no) processing of my images both immediately after upload and after rotation requests. Also the weird move gallery thing I mentioned (which is still there). Makes me wonder if the db or the queing system is having problems.

This leads to another question. Does rotating a pic actually modify the pic? or just the way it is displayed in SM?

thanks
    -- Mike

• mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Thanks for the followups. Upload was quite slow to both drgin and sm but I have come to expect that at times.

What caused real concern was the apparent slow (or no) processing of my images both immediately after upload and after rotation requests. Also the weird move gallery thing I mentioned (which is still there). Makes me wonder if the db or the queing system is having problems.

This leads to another question. Does rotating a pic actually modify the pic? or just the way it is displayed in SM?

thanks

BTW I am still having problems with rotate photos. I select several photos to rotate. Sometime they work, sometimes some but not all get rotated and sometimes none get rotated.
    -- Mike