Smugmug as offsite archive

CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited May 22, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I was wondering how many smugmuggers out there are storing images on smugmug as their only archive? I am getting sick of filling DVD's with images and worrying about the life of DVD's. I am dumb to archive to smugmug only and then progressively wipe my hard drives as they become full? (Generally after the images have sat on there for about 2 years)

Any thoughts?

Cammo

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    There's no way of storing RAW files on smugmug, so it'll never be my only archive. But it is my safety net: if all else fails, I'll hopefully still have my JPEGs on smugmug to fall back on.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    There's no way of storing RAW files on smugmug, so it'll never be my only archive. But it is my safety net: if all else fails, I'll hopefully still have my JPEGs on smugmug to fall back on.

I am not a raw shooter so that isn't a problem for me.

So you trust their backup's? I haven't really looked into the way their images are stored - although I am interested - would be a neat way of archiving with safety!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    I am not a raw shooter so that isn't a problem for me.

So you trust their backup's? I haven't really looked into the way their images are stored - although I am interested - would be a neat way of archiving with safety!

We're not an archival service, but we do offer unlimited photo storage, and here on this page you can see how safe and secure your photos are thumb.gif

http://www.smugmug.com/price/
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 22, 2006
    bugger Andy beat me to it umph.gif

Cammo, also have a read of Baldy's and onethumb's comments in this thread.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Precisely the info I was after, thanks guys!!!!!

Cammo