Brush Help

USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
edited May 24, 2006 in Finishing School
I ask the NAPP help this question and didn't get the answer I wanted :D
So lets see if you guys do any better.

Sometimes I like to hand paint a photo with the tablet
when I pick up my pen to change size and then start painting again the overlapped stokes are darker because they are two strokes.
Is there and way to stop this?

I am hoping there is a keystroke that will just kinda put everything hold so I can finish what I am painting with the first coat.
Then if I want to apply another coat to darken I can.

I know I can do this by painting different strokes on different layers
But I was hoping for a better solution.

Thanks
Fred

Comments

• nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    If you set a brush opacity to anything lower than 100%, you will get an increased effect on overlapping strokes.

As far as I know, the only way around this is to set the brush opacity to 100% and lower the layer opacity to a level that you like.

If you a non-destructive dodge/burn approach to varying the intensity of the colors you can add a new layer, change the blending mode to Soft Light, and then fill it with a 50% grey. You would then use the brush tool set a low opacity and use multiple strokes to achieve the effect that you're happy with.

Yes, you're back to overlapping strokes but you get more control with this method.

Nikos
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    nikos wrote:
    If you set a brush opacity to anything lower than 100%, you will get an increased effect on overlapping strokes.

As far as I know, the only way around this is to set the brush opacity to 100% and lower the layer opacity to a level that you like.

If you a non-destructive dodge/burn approach to varying the intensity of the colors you can add a new layer, change the blending mode to Soft Light, and then fill it with a 50% grey. You would then use the brush tool set a low opacity and use multiple strokes to achieve the effect that you're happy with.

Yes, you're back to overlapping strokes but you get more control with this method.

Nikos
    I will have to give this a try it might be just what I am looking for.
    Also going to try a technique by Martin Evening's book "Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers" that might work also.

Thanks for the help Nikos
    Fred
  • jenojeno Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    I will have to give this a try it might be just what I am looking for.
    Also going to try a technique by Martin Evening's book "Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers" that might work also.

Thanks for the help Nikos
    Fred

After your first stroke, sample the color you just painted and then set your brush mode to 'darken'.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    jeno wrote:
    After your first stroke, sample the color you just painted and then set your brush mode to 'darken'.
    How interesting!

Welcome aboard, jeno! wave.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    jeno wrote:

Thanks jeno give this a try soon as I get off work

Fred
  • jenojeno Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Thanks jeno give this a try soon as I get off work

Fred

No worries.

PS. If you then want your strokes to build up again for each stroke, change your brush mode to 'multiply'. And just do the opposite if your painting a lighter tone - use 'lighten' and 'screen' respectively.

Cheers!