ch. 65 New Old West

xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
edited May 24, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
The Goerge Ranch South West of Houston is full of nostalgia . These are two shots I grabed in the way home today. This site was restored about 7 or8 years ago to the same specs of the orignal stock pen and loading ramp. The rail car was restored also, It has been sitting in the same spot sence the ranch stopped using rail about 40 years ago and after main line was removed. Commits please. :dunno

71024841-L.jpg

71022062-L.jpg
xtnomad :wink

Comments

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Oh man, no replies yet!? Come on people! eek7.gif

Okay first off, those two photos in my own opinion, will be very weak candidates for the challenge. However, I can see there's a lot of potential at what you're shooting there!

Get up, close and personal to the old train. Do some ground shots from the rails themselves, maybe even a macro of a flower with the train in the background, you can bring one yourself and shoot it at location mwink.gif!

You have a lot of possibilities there. Get really close to them and start shooting, I'm sure you'll acquire many great shots. After that, post them up again and we'll put down more thoughts on it!

Good luck!
  • CharbuCharbu Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    I agree, there are some great possibilities here. Close-ups would do the trick.
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Thank You
    Your input helps a lot. There is some thing about stills that I just can not see. If there was movment I know I could find a spot to shot. I just need to keep trying. Thank You. headscratch.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    If you want to shoot this as nostalgia, what is it that means nostalgia to you?
    The train car doesn't say "nostalgia."
    What is the message...?

Suggestions about "close-up" are correct.
    If you want to say "nostalgia" with a train car,
    make the train car the dominant image in the shot.

Let us see what you develop. nod.gif
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    Your input helps a lot. There is some thing about stills that I just can not see. If there was movment I know I could find a spot to shot. I just need to keep trying. Thank You. headscratch.gif

Can you be more specific about this?
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    I think you need to get close to the train or corral, or shoot the train from the corral or something. this is too far away and doesnt hold interest to any part of the image for me ne_nau.gif sorry. Good idea though
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    Also look at different angles. Shoot from down low upwards or from the top of a truck looking down (if you are allowed) or take a shot along the tracks so they recede suggesting hobo travelling or something like that.

With the fencing, the tracks & the planking on the truck, there's a lot of horizontal lines, changing the perspective and making them into diagonals will help add impact & dynamism.

Don't forget the Golden thirds, Placing an object such as the truck on an interesction of the thirds with add impact & balance.

Can you get inside the truck & shoot from inside to outside, through cracks maybe?
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai