A few shots of the nephew...

photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited May 23, 2006 in People
Here are a few pics of my nephew taken over this past weekend. Please let me know what you like and what I could improve -- always learning, y'now.

Thanks for looking.

#1: Attacking the camera:

71041685-L.jpg

#2 (Pls ignore the ball on the lower left -- haven't had a chance to clone it out :)

71041189-L.jpg

#3: Lying down on the job

71041351-L.jpg

#4 (a little soft, but I liked the pose)

71041461-L.jpg

71041583-L.jpg

Canon 20d
Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L IS
photon

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    The third shot is excellent. One thing I would work on is your focus. With a moving child try AI Servo and see if that helps but it is always hard to focus on people or objects moving towards you. I think your composition is good but the lighting was working against you. They all seem to be backlit. Try using fill flash, even the little pop up flash on the 20d works very well for fill.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Very nice and natural looking. I especially like #3 for the composition and #5 for the sharpness and detail. I agree with Nick...try a fill flash. It's something I have to work on as well...I just forget that it can be useful even on a sunny day! 9496500-Ti.gif(Very cute kid...his hairstyle and looks remind me very much of my own son at that age!!)
  • photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Great comments, guys...
    Many thanks for the comments. clap.gif

Looking at them again I see what you mean -- the faces do look a little dull. It never occurred to me to use a fill flash. I'll have to read up on how to use the flash without blowing everything out.

As for the focus, yeah -- I was a little dissapointed in some of the shots after getting them on 'the big screen'. On the camera LCD they look great, of course! For at least some of them they were in AIServo, but since I was trying to compose and follow a very fast kid, it didn't always focus on the right thing. Practice, practice, practice!

Thanks again for looking.
    photon