Need Help on "L" Series Zoom!

2»

Comments

• THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Both the Pumper and the Bigma are very nice lenses. You won't go wrong regardless of your choice. For me IS as more of a parlor trick, as I tend to shoot action, I have very little use for it. Additionally, according to Photozone's MTF charts, IS comes at a price ... and that price is sharpness. Photozone tested the Canon 70-200 IS against the 70-200 non-IS and the non-IS was significantly sharper that the IS. The Pumper has the original IS ... which also makes me wonder if I am paying top dollar for the greatest value with the Pumper. So after rolling all this stuff around I ended up with the Bigma ... my first non-OEM lens. The 70-200L is absolutely wonderful. Don't leave home without it.

I'm with you on the IS. I don't have a need for it either and if I did...I'll use a tripod.

I'm starting to wonder if you work for Sigma!!!:D
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I'm with you on the IS. I don't have a need for it either and if I did...I'll use a tripod.

I'm starting to wonder if you work for Sigma!!!:D

Nahhh ... just common sense ... all my other lenses except the Lensbaby are Canon ... 10-22EF-S, 24-70L 2.8, 60 macro 2.8 EF-S, 70-200L 2.8, 70-200L 4 and the Bigma. BTW- That last pix was with the 70-200L 2.8 ... love that lens.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited May 23, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Nahhh ... just common sense ... all my other lenses except the Lensbaby are Canon ... 10-22EF-S, 24-70L 2.8, 60 macro 2.8 EF-S, 70-200L 2.8, 70-200L 4 and the Bigma. BTW- That last pix was with the 70-200L 2.8 ... love that lens.

Seefutlung thank you for all the info!

So I got one more general question...Anybody -

Is it possible to put TWO UV filters on the front of a lens? I found a picture of a 70-200 (I think) that got hit by a paintball and put a hole in his UV Filter! So, i figured why not have two!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Only potential problem would be vignetting on the 70 end. If it did vignette just extending the focal length a tad would eliminate the problem. You will see the corners get dark so just zoom out until its clear. Lens hood would help deflect ball that come in on an angle.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited May 24, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Only potential problem would be vignetting on the 70 end. If it did vignette just entending the focal length a tad would eliminate the problem. You will see the corners get dark so just zoom out until its clear. Lens hood would help deflect ball that come in on an angle.

I'd take a little vignetting for extra protection!

- Kevin
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    There's no web page... they just put in one toilet for the americans last year. one thing at a time you know.

Faith Quest is a Christian youth weekend here in the Northwest, which started back in 1987. My first year to work with FQ was 1988. I was hooked ever since. Who would have thought one of the students who attended Faith Quest would grow up to be a missionary in Uganda and start a much needed youth program like Faith Quest Uganda.

You can visit Jeff Cash's blog page to read some of the things going on. He is in the states right now on missionary furlough. He and his family will return to Uganda in August. Here's a link about the prep work for this last year.

Our teams spends about a month over there working with many villages showing the Jesus movie and teaching the church leaders. There are many church "names" but they don't mean as much over there. It's nice. Just church.

Anyhow, If any info comes up I'll let you know... You can PM me with your contact info.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Artur C.Artur C. Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Thank you Art. Do you use both lenses frequently? My thought is to get the 100-400 now, then get the 70-200/2.8 later for low light situations. ne_nau.gif

As you mentioned, I'm worried about always having to mess with the TC and when I go to shoot, I don't want to always have to wonder - do I put it on, or do I take it off.

Do you find it difficult to switch from rotating to push-pull and visa-versa or do you really get used to it?

Thank you! - Kevin

Kevin,

No actually, the zooming is second nature as each lens has it's own feel in your hand, I don't even think about it. For sharpness, the 70-200 is my favorite, also doubles as a wonderful portrait lens... for versatility in good light when you need some reach the 100-400 range just can't be beat. I've seen some users complain about dust, although I've never had any problems with dust other then regular spots on the sensor which are easily cleaned off with a blower. Actually the one thing I wish is for the next generation IS, although the IS works quite well with the 100-400.

Also, this lens is big...and heavy, and tends to draw a lot of attention, but I've found that to be the case whenever I use either, probably because of the color...I personally think it's silly.

-Art
    edited May 24, 2006
    Artur C. wrote:
    Kevin,

No actually, the zooming is second nature as each lens has it's own feel in your hand, I don't even think about it. For sharpness, the 70-200 is my favorite, also doubles as a wonderful portrait lens... for versatility in good light when you need some reach the 100-400 range just can't be beat. I've seen some users complain about dust, although I've never had any problems with dust other then regular spots on the sensor which are easily cleaned off with a blower. Actually the one thing I wish is for the next generation IS, although the IS works quite well with the 100-400.

Also, this lens is big...and heavy, and tends to draw a lot of attention, but I've found that to be the case whenever I use either, probably because of the color...I personally think it's silly.

-Art

Thanks Art. I've always grown up thinking "white lens = professional". Things have changed so much now!

So far...I'm set on the BIGMA. umph.gif

- Kevin
    edited May 24, 2006
    A proud BIGMA owner!
    THE BIGMA IS ON ITS WAY!!!

Should be at my door tomorrow! YEAH!clap.gif

Thank you all for your help!

Just in time for the paintball tournament this weekend!

- Kevin