An October night...

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited November 5, 2004 in Landscapes
... in downtown Atlanta. Some random shots from last night's rambling. Lynn keeps prodding me to shoot more at night, so blame her for this.

This is one of the more rundown theaters in town, but also one of the handful that will show 'alternative' films.

10629200-L.jpg

This young lady was selling books. Her books. To sustain herself and her mate. She described herself as homeless. Funny how shooting on the street can lead one to ask broader questions. With her, we could get into a nice discussion about lifestyle choices, as it's obvious that she has the intelligence to acquire income in some other fashion, if she chose. And the movie marquee raises questions about 'Team America', the audience it's finding, and the audience that frequents theaters such as the Plaza.

10625317-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    Those two are my favorites. This one's an attempt to play on the reflections.

10631065-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    i dig 'em. nice street work, sid! theater marquees are cool subjects, as is the young lady. getting her story, all the better thumb.gif
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    Interesting shots
    I like how you used the reflections of the light in the signs off the cars. Draws you attemtion from the cars along the parking lot to the theater marquee. The reasons probably for most of those cars being there in the first place. Also like in all the shots how you used different camera angles to make the composition more interesting. I have a hard time seeing that when composing an image and have bever been succesful with it. You did very good with it IMO.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    ... in downtown Atlanta. Some random shots from last night's rambling. Lynn keeps prodding me to shoot more at night, so blame her for this.

This is one of the more rundown theaters in town, but also one of the handful that will show 'alternative' films.

This young lady was selling books. Her books. To sustain herself and her mate. She described herself as homeless. Funny how shooting on the street can lead one to ask broader questions. With her, we could get into a nice discussion about lifestyle choices, as it's obvious that she has the intelligence to acquire income in some other fashion, if she chose. And the movie marquee raises questions about 'Team America', the audience it's finding, and the audience that frequents theaters such as the Plaza.
    I really like these shots sid.. I specially like the young woman.. tells a loooong story there, drugs? maybe?
    I like the reflection on the cars too. Thanks for gettin 'em.. more now please 1drink.gif
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2004
    It's the book seller that has me 'sold'! I love photos that hide a story and let you have a small peek...

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

10629200-L.jpg

great shots, especially this one... I really like!

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    I always have trouble with night shots and I'd love to be able to shoot ones as good as this. What lens and settings did you use? It looks like they must have been handheld, but they don't show any camera shake. What about post?
    If not now, when?
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I always have trouble with night shots and I'd love to be able to shoot ones as good as this. What lens and settings did you use? It looks like they must have been handheld, but they don't show any camera shake. What about post?

I am with Rutt in this that I would be interested in your settings. I wonder if I would use them if my pictures would have the same feel.
    The picture of the girl touches me deeply. I prefer pictures that have a story behind them usually. I hope she manages to get off the street.

Lynn is right, your night shots are great.