Canon 1D MkII Vs MKIIN

OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited May 24, 2006 in Cameras
Im in the market for a MkII but seem to miss out on all the good used MkII's, Im kinda partial to buying new, but this time I was looking for used, most seem to be going for $2,600 ish and a new MKIIN at B&H is $3,650. My question, what is the real life improvement of the "N" over the MKII? and is it worth the extra $1000 for new? I shoot mostly sports and currently use the 20D. Was hoping for used and use the remaing $$ for accessories/glass.

looking for any Infofacts/opinions ect

Thanks
Brad
Brad Fite :D
www.fitephotography.com
Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Very little in the N over the prior model:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos1dmkiin%2Ccanon_eos1dmkii&show=all

either will do a fine fine job. It's really up to you to decide, personally I'd get the newer model but that's just me!
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Andy, Thanks for the quick response.
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
  • jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    I had to make the same choice last November and decided to go with a used MKII. If $ is no object the N is way cool, has a bigger LCD, larger buffer, and can record jpg to one card and RAW to the other at the same time. Other than that pretty much the same camera. Of course, new gets you a warranty.

The extra $1300 bucks or so you'll save can buy some pretty sweet glass! And for the most part cameras are pretty crappy investments compared to glass--they start depreciating the moment you buy it, but glass...So a used MKII is kinda the best of both worlds.

I also came from a 20D and this I know: the AF speed is going to blow you away. I use the camera for wildlife and mostly birds in flight and my keeper ratio went waaay up. Sure, my technique has improved too. But not that much over that short a time span:D
  • jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    BTW, check FM. I have see several MKIIs there lately in the $2600 range.

One other thing to consider is how long you can wait to buy the camera. Prices will drop in the used market after a new camera is announced by Canon. If (and a big if:D) a new 1 series is announced around Aug/Sept prices will drop further. Proximity to photo conventions is something I like to factor into the equation of buying a used camera.

-j
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Jeff, thanks for posting. I found a used one at FM for $2700 and sent him a PM lastnight, I wasnt 100% sure what I wanted to do and at 11:59 am New York time I threw caution to the wind and ordered the MrkIIN with next day Air. Looking forward to gettting it tommorrow evening:):

Thanks again Andy, Jeff

Brad
    www.fitephotography.com
  • SeattleYatesSeattleYates Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Onrey wrote:
    ...at 11:59 am New York time I threw caution to the wind and ordered the MrkIIN with next day Air. Looking forward to gettting it tommorrow evening:):

Brad

Brad,

I think you'll be really glad you bought the N. I originally had a MkII, which is a great camera, but I later switched to a 1DsMkII, and recently bought a MkIIN as a back-up (in case my rig floods underwater and for times when I need the faster fps), so I've had experience with both the MkII and MkIIN.

The bigger, brighter screen on the N is a HUGE improvement over the MkII, and for sports photography, you'll really appreciate that (e.g., if you use the histogram display to quickly assess exposure). It is also nice to be able to save RAW to one card and JPG to the other...but IMHO the real advantage is the bigger LCD! thumb.gif

In my experience, I've seldom regretted spending a bit more for the newer, better model of something (once the initial pain in the pocketbook passes :cry), but have often regretted going a cheaper route. I think you'll be delighted with the improvement of the MkIIN over your 20D! ylsuper.gif
    Bruce Yates
    Seattle, WA

Canon 5D MkII and 1Ds MkII (used mostly underwater), 1D MkIII for topside

www.UnderwaterReflections.com (my Smugmug site, customized by DGrinner jerryr)

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. WC Fields