Generations of Sweetgrass

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 25, 2006 in People
Baskets: art from Africe passed down. Three generations represented here.

70989399-L.jpg

The first photo was taken at a distance. It shows the whole scene of generations working together as artists of Sweetgrass baskets. Granddaughter on left, Grandmother and mother on the right. Baskets hanging for sale in a typical basket rack. The background here is Boone Hall plantation, so they are sitting beneath a large live OAK tree with old original slave cabins in the background.

Traditionally these basket ladies have sold their baskets along the coastal highways of the southeast. Due to tremendous population growth in these areas, accompanied with highway widening, their venues appear to be changing.

Below is the photo that is on the left in the composite. I might use the colored one. This is as I saw it when walking in that direction.

71025343-L.jpg

As I said, those are the three generations.

Below are the mother and daughter, members of a new generation of basket makers:

70992919-L.jpg

Above, that is at 78mms, f 8, 1/250, FLASH, -0.33

That is using the Gary Fong (cloudy) flash thingy! I took these yesterday, Monday, I used the Gary Fong thing for the first time the day before. I was shooting without flash Monday. MY husband suggested the flash for these women. I really do like the flash. HOw much difference it made, I do not know. Plus, I don't know how it would have been w/o the Gary Fong thing. But I would hate to find out, smile.

ginger (the one from a distance is without flash, but that shot is different, it is more of a scenic.) Besides, I didn't have the flash on when I saw that perfect, IMO, composition with the young girl playing in the dirt, on the left.)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    71025343-M.jpg

Excellent G
    the shot above, for me captures the feel and look of the South as I remember it.
    A sweet image, one to be proud of thumb.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Thanks, Ben. Thank you very much!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Hi Ginger

Really like the above pic in B&W ... just seems like a timeless classic shot.

Cheers

HarjTT

thumb.gifD
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    It is so peaceful and the light is sweet therefor I would not go for B&W version.
    B&W or color it is just great.iloveyou.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Nice work. I think I'd put them both in color or b&w on your collage.

Lee
  • raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Great captures there Ginger. A lot of the basket women won't let you take their pictures, especially down in the market area.

Can you explain what the Gary Fong thingy is? Inquiring minds want to know mwink.gif