Options

FS: Canon 5D lightly used

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 31, 2006 in Flea Market
I bought a second 5D body to use for the Ballet performances in April and May. The camera was purchased from B&H at the beginning of April (when the rebate program started.) It has fewer than 10k activations. Includes box, unopened software, manual, etc.

This IS NOT the 5D that I took skiing, got caught in the rain with, etc, etc and have activated about 50k times. This particular camera has been to the ballet and used for the occasional portrait around the house. It's very refined. At least excellent working condition. The LCD screen isn't pristine, but otherwise the camera is like new.

Boston Ballet's season is over and come the fall, perhaps I'll use a different equipment strategy to shoot the ballet. In the meantime, no reason for this camera to sit unused. After a mail in rebate, this camera new from B&H is $2600. I'll take $2300 including shipping, & handling. Paypal's fee is about $70. If you want to pay this way, we can split the fee.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    *drool*:cry
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    The 5D is a wonderful camera.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,201 moderator
    edited May 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Seems to be. Andy had a plan to "poison" me with the 5D. While at a bench overlooking Bryce canyon, and with Diana right next to us, Andy handed his rig to me and threatened to push me over the edge if I didn't look through it and fire off some pics. Not being an idiot, I did what I was told. I swear a couple of Andy's posted shots were actually the ones I took with the thing. :uhoh

Yeah, 5D. Good stuff. I've got some candy to eat, a lawn to mow, 1,000 pictures to look through and edit, and a big Visa bill to pay off. Otherwise I'd be PM'ing you. Andy is pure evil, isn't he?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

I hired one a couple of weeks ago for the weekend and was so impressed iloveyou.gif

Out of my reach for the moment though :cry
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    :cry
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    Price reduction
    $2200 with S/H. Paypal OK, but we split charges (so it costs about $35 to use paypal.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    $2200 with S/H. Paypal OK, but we split charges (so it costs about $35 to use paypal.

I bet the shutter is quieter than the 20D. Since I had that problem with the symphony (free in the park) over the weekend, I realize that no way I could use that during a ballet performance.

I would like to own both cameras. But I am lucky to be able to pay the repair on the 20D.

But the noisy shutter on some other cameras is a thought to someone who wants a quieter camera.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    There are inexpensive fixes for shutter noise during performances. Nikon makes a thing that fits over almost any camera body and muffles the noise and which costs about $70. It works OK, but maybe not OK enough to the quietest parts of classical music. There are more expensive things called "sound blimps" and they are supposed to be perfect. There is a rumor of something in between, called a "Muffler", but I've never been able to track this down to the source.

For problems like this, I often consult Jeff Hirsch, the owner of FotoCare, a NYC camera store that caters to professionals who care more about the best advice and customer care than about price. I asked him about this and got a typical great answer (I'll paraphrase:)
    Why don't you try throwing a sweater over it? 99% of the time, problem solved. If not, the NY Philharmonic is a customer and we sell and rent...
    If not now, when?