ch65 Days gone by

NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
edited May 27, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
My artist friend asked me if I had any photos of dead roses so he could use them for a gothic painting of his, so I laughed and said, there are dead bouquets all the time here and petals all over the place. Give me a week! :D
So this is one of them, although I liked some darker ones for the gothic idea. But this one in a larger size showed cool knarly petals up close.
71217421-O.jpg
any comments appreciated

Comments

• sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Yup, looks beautiful in black and white too, makes it look like everything is porcelain......wonderful clap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    I like everything about it!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    that is greatclap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Great idea there! Dried roses def gives off a nostalgic feel, it reminds me of previous romances, or something in the matter :P.

The vase works well in matching the roses, being smooth and reflecting a good amount of light, however, the black hole in between the roses in the vase and the one on the tabletop is very apparent. You can fix this by using a smaller vase or placing something behind the table to compensate for the empty space.

Cool photo though, hopefully you can still make some changes, if not its still a good submission, good luck!
  • CharbuCharbu Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    I didn't even notice the black space until Mr. Peas mentioned it. I think the dark against the vase gives it definition. Also the flowers that are coming out of the vase flow to the left and around to the table. I think that if the black area was totally filled in it would make it too busy. Hey, that's just me, I like it the way it is.
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    I feel the same way as Charbu, I think the dark space adds a lot of mystery to the photo, and is perfect as it is. clap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Dead flowers are bad for feng shui. :poke

Great shot though! :D
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    I feel the same way as Charbu, I think the dark space adds a lot of mystery to the photo, and is perfect as it is. clap.gif
    I agree, you want to continue through into the dark space to find out "what" is there. Maybe a secret love bower, or a Secret Garden or something. (I'm such a romantic at heart I. think it adds a balance to the shape of the white vase.
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Beautiful shot, Linda! I love all the black in your shot!! Adds a lot of drama and sensuality. There is so much detail in the roses to look at that I don't think any detail in the background is needed, and in my opinion, would make the shot too busy. Very nicely done. And did I mention that I like black in black and white shots???? :D
  • RopinaMomentRopinaMoment Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2006
    I like the black in the back too, it enhances the depth of the picture. The picture is really heart touching.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    What a great shot.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    davev wrote:
    What a great shot.

Sorry i didn't get back here for so long! Thanks for the comments. My friend claims I had inspired him for the gothic paintings, but I think it was he inspired me. I had so much fun with them. Lovely dead flowers all over the house, lolol.

That one I had taken outside, because the "gothic" type low light inside the house didn't show off the dead petals much once they turned dark. The effect sort of did the opposite effect after that.

I sent him these too so he'd have a better close up of the dead petals. They looked better larger. I should have done some more single portrait types.
    70005249-L.jpg
    70005263-L.jpg
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    If you want a laugh, heres the first pic I sent to the artist for a good morning pic and it gave him the idea to want a pic of them dead. This was the week before...ne_nau.gif
    69237327-L.jpg