Natural Light Dragon

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited May 24, 2006 in Holy Macro
I've been trying to expand horizons with some naturally lit closeups.
Here is a Dragonfly at f/11 1/30 ISO 200 Tripod
Late afternoon sunlight.
There was a slight breeze, so I tried to keep the shutter speed up, so thats why the ISO is 200 rather than 100.

71238969-L.jpg
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Lovely shot Thomas- great colours.

The in thing at the moment seems to be using fill flash- Adjust the camera parameters in manual so you are only 0.5 to 1 stop under exposed and still use ETTL flash. (the only reason for doing this in manual is so you still have control of aperture and shutterspeed- pity they don't do an auto ISO mode where you fix the aperture and shutterspeed and the cam adjusts the ISO :) )- Gives great background but still good lighting on the bug. At the moment most of my shots are at F11, iso200, 1/160th which gives a fill flash effect in reasonably bright weather.
    example shot of a small miner bee

151333000_8e7055a42f_o.jpg

Brian V.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Thanks Brian. Your shot has a very natural look to it. I don't usually get to shoot until after supper, so the light level is not very high. I try your technique this weekend. I would love to get that look without lugging the tripod around.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Very beautiful
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery