PS CS2 RGB Color Display

BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited November 17, 2006 in Finishing School
I'm having a problem with photoshop displaying incorrect sRGB colors and would appreciate some help.

I just calibrated my monitor for the first time with the Pantone Huey. Before calibration, I was certain to deactivate Adobe Gamma and my graphic card's color correction. I now notice that colors displayed in CS2 (including PS, Bridge, and ACR) are inconsistent with colors viewed in any other application, includeing IE, FF, and windows graphics apps. And yes, I'm certain that I have preserved the sRGB ICC profile throughout my workflow.

I have set sRGB as my RGB working space in PS. In Windows XP, I have confirmed that my monitor profile is set to the Huey calibration. When I go to "proof" an image in photoshop in Monitor RGB, there is a definite warm color shift. The colors I see with the Monitor RGB proof are consistent with other apps.

The way I understand things, if my working space is sRGB, and I have a correct monitor profile, than what I see in PS when I'm in RGB color mode should be exactly the same as when I do a Monitor RGB proof.

I'm at my whits end trying to get to the bottom of this, having searched this forum and the Web for potential solutions. Is there anyone out their who can help me out?

Thanks much,
Ben

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Just a bump to see if someone can help you.... I've never used any sort of color calibration hardware yet. The more I read about it, the less motivated I am to try it!
    Chris
  • TarkTark Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2006
    That monitor proof aint wot U think
    BenA2 wrote:
    I'm having a problem with photoshop displaying incorrect sRGB colors and would appreciate some help.

I just calibrated my monitor for the first time with the Pantone Huey. Before calibration, I was certain to deactivate Adobe Gamma and my graphic card's color correction. I now notice that colors displayed in CS2 (including PS, Bridge, and ACR) are inconsistent with colors viewed in any other application, includeing IE, FF, and windows graphics apps. And yes, I'm certain that I have preserved the sRGB ICC profile throughout my workflow.

I have set sRGB as my RGB working space in PS. In Windows XP, I have confirmed that my monitor profile is set to the Huey calibration. When I go to "proof" an image in photoshop in Monitor RGB, there is a definite warm color shift. The colors I see with the Monitor RGB proof are consistent with other apps.

The way I understand things, if my working space is sRGB, and I have a correct monitor profile, than what I see in PS when I'm in RGB color mode should be exactly the same as when I do a Monitor RGB proof.

I'm at my whits end trying to get to the bottom of this, having searched this forum and the Web for potential solutions. Is there anyone out their who can help me out?

Thanks much,
    Ben

I'm having similar problems, but -
    As I understand it when you open an image in Photoshop in the working space you have selected then it should be correct providing you have opened it from the correct source space. You shouldn't need to do anything else before you start editing the image.
    The View - Proof setup is only used for soft proofing so you can see how your image will look when reproduced by other devices than your monitor. The 'Monitor RGB' selection, according to the help file is only for 'proofing' using a monitor profile on a system that has monitor colour management turned off. Although why you would want to do that is beyound me.
    Incidentaly - monitor profiles are normally applied globaly at boot time by the OS, not by Photoshop.
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Thanks for the reply
    I agree with just about everything you've said. That's the problem. PS does not appear to be working like that on my system. I did some searching on the forums over at dpreview and found that several other people have experienced this exact same problem after the first time they've calibrated their monitors.

One person was able to solve the problem by reinstalling PS. Another suggested you could accomplish the same by deleted the user preferences (pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT at PS startup). I've tried deleting the preferences, but nothing seems to happen in PS when I hit this key combo. So, next, I will try a reinstall. But, I've been too busy and it's time to get out and take some photos this weekend. So, I'll be giving it a try next week. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks,
    Ben
  • gRaVeSgRaVeS Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 27, 2006
    Have you checked that Proof Setup is also set to your workspace? I use PS7 and it always defaults to 'Working CMYK'.

Go to Proof setup>Custom, and select your workspace. This should correct things.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    But Proof Setup only matters if Proof Colors is on, and it usually isn't. If you run with Proof Colors off, you can set Proof Setup to any crazy thing and you won't see a difference. Proof Setup/Proof Colors is there for previewing device-specific output, not to view the working space.
  • gRaVeSgRaVeS Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    But Proof Setup only matters if Proof Colors is on, and it usually isn't. If you run with Proof Colors off, you can set Proof Setup to any crazy thing and you won't see a difference. Proof Setup/Proof Colors is there for previewing device-specific output, not to view the working space.

I realize that. My suggestion was directed at this comment:

"When I go to "proof" an image in photoshop in Monitor RGB, there is a definite warm color shift."

which lead me to believe Proof Colours is on, and if on should check Proof Setup.
    edited June 1, 2006
    gRaVeS wrote:

"When I go to "proof" an image in photoshop in Monitor RGB, there is a definite warm color shift."

which lead me to believe Proof Colours is on, and if on should check Proof Setup.
    Unfortunately, a painting project will keep me from working on this problem this week. But, hopefully, I can answer your question without access to PS.

When I say there is a warm color shift when I proof in Monitor RGB, I am comparing a "Proof Colors" unchecked view, to a "Proof Colors" checked and "Monitor RGB" checked view. Does that clarify it?

Ben
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    gRaVeS wrote:

You should not use a display profile (your Monitor RGB) for soft-proofing! Use only a printer profile (or some other device profile) that has been designed for soft-proofing! (e.g. the ezprints.icc you can download from smugmug).

Your monitor profile (working space profile in photoshop) tells color-profile aware applications (e.g. photoshop) how your monitor differs from the standard color-space (e.g. sRGB). Photoshop uses this profile automatically when you start it. You don't need to use (and should not use(!)) the Proof (soft-proof) option.

Your printer profile for soft-proofing tells photoshop about the color-characteristics of a given printer (and its inks and its paper). You can use such profiles only for soft-proofing and should not use these profiles for converting pics from one color-profile into another.

So, your setup is fine. But using your Monitor Profile for proofing, effectively applying your monitor profile twice this way, is incorrect.

Check this:
    1. After your hardware calibration, make sure your graphics-card's LOT is updated by your calibration software. For example, Eye One installs a little program that is run every time Windows starts that updates your card's LOT according to the last calibration.
    2. Go to Windows' Display Properties, Settings-->Advanced..., and check for the standard color-management tab. A color-profile should be shown. It should refer to the ICC (ICM) file created by your hardware calibration. If you see more than one, make sure your calibrated profile is the default one.
    3. Use a standard color-space for the working-spaces of your editor-programs. E.g. Photoshop's workingspace's color-space should say sRGB or adobeRGB (whatever you're comfortable with). But you already have this setup this way.

But note: Even with hardware calibration, you will always see some differences. But those differences should be minimal.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
    edited June 1, 2006
    1. After your hardware calibration, make sure your graphics-card's LOT is updated by your calibration software. For example, Eye One installs a little program that is run every time Windows starts that updates your card's LOT according to the last calibration.
    2. Go to Windows' Display Properties, Settings-->Advanced..., and check for the standard color-management tab. A color-profile should be shown. It should refer to the ICC (ICM) file created by your hardware calibration. If you see more than one, make sure your calibrated profile is the default one.
    As I pointed out in my first post, I've already confirmed that Windows XP is using the harware calibration profile. It's actually the only option.
    3. Use a standard color-space for the working-spaces of your editor-programs. E.g. Photoshop's workingspace's color-space should say sRGB or adobeRGB (whatever you're comfortable with). But you already have this setup this way.
    Like you said, I'm already doing this.
    But note: Even with hardware calibration, you will always see some differences. But those differences should be minimal.
    Note this is not a printing issue. I'll worry about print soft proofing when I become confident that I'm seeing the correct display colors in PS. That's for another day.

The only reason I'm using the Monitor RGB proofing is because I'm experiencing a problem. When I view an sRGB image in an Adobe color-managed program (PS, Bridge, and ACR), the colors are significantly different than when viewed by any other application (e.g. Windows picture viewer, MS Word, IE, FF, etc.). This makes absolutely no sense to me. It also makes no sense to me that viewing a Monitor RGB proof in PS matches exactly the colors in other non-color-managed apps, but is different than sRGB working space in PS w/o proofing. I'm convinced Adobe's color-management is screwed up and not properly using my monitor calibration.

I really appreciate your input, but I think I have all those bases covered.

Thanks,
    Ben
    edited June 1, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    As I pointed out in my first post, I've already confirmed that Windows XP is using the harware calibration profile. It's actually the only option.

Like you said, I'm already doing this.

Note this is not a printing issue. I'll worry about print soft proofing when I become confident that I'm seeing the correct display colors in PS. That's for another day.

The only reason I'm using the Monitor RGB proofing is because I'm experiencing a problem. When I view an sRGB image in an Adobe color-managed program (PS, Bridge, and ACR), the colors are significantly different than when viewed by any other application (e.g. Windows picture viewer, MS Word, IE, FF, etc.). This makes absolutely no sense to me. It also makes no sense to me that viewing a Monitor RGB proof in PS matches exactly the colors in other non-color-managed apps, but is different than sRGB working space in PS w/o proofing. I'm convinced Adobe's color-management is screwed up and not properly using my monitor calibration.

I really appreciate your input, but I think I have all those bases covered.

Thanks,
    Ben

Aha.. now i get it.
    When soft-proofing on using your Monitor Profile, the pics look the same as (for example) in IE.
    But without proofing the colors are off....

This is indeed very very strange!
    I'm sorry i can't help you there.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • babyhopperbabyhopper Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 7, 2006
    *Bump*

I'm having the same problem...

Aha.. now i get it.
    When soft-proofing on using your Monitor Profile, the pics look the same as (for example) in IE.
    But without proofing the colors are off....

This is indeed very very strange!
    I'm sorry i can't help you there.
    edited June 7, 2006
    Update
    Well, I have an update without much good news. Last night, as I had read on another forum, I attempted reinstalling CS2 to solve the problem. It didn't work. I had exactly the same issue. At this point, I was really confused, and had no idea where to turn. But, I did an engagement shoot over the weekend and REALLY needed to process some images. So, I just decided to remove the Huey calibration and go back to relying on Adobe Gamma for calibration, since it seemed to work OK in the past.

I uninstalled Huey and disconnected the device. Then I ran Adobe Gamma and went through the calibration. Now, as I should, when viewing sRGB in PS, Bridge, and ACR, I see exactly the same colors as when viewed in other non-color-managed apps. Perfect. Or, at least, good enough to get some real work done. But, I'm still left with the concern that my monitor is not hardware calibrated.

Fortunately, this process has given me one more idea. Previously, when going through the Huey calibration process, I had completely disabled Adobe Gamma, as everything I had read told me to do. But, browsing through Adobe's Knowledge base, I found this tidbit, which states...
    adobe.com wrote:
    Note: After you remove Adobe Gamma Loader from the StartUp folder, Adobe Gamma is still be available in the Control Panel, but its settings aren't loaded when Windows starts. Photoshop continues to use Adobe Gamma to access the monitor profile you specified.

If you create a profile in a third-party monitor calibration utility, Adobe recommends that you load that profile in Adobe Gamma:
    I think that last sentence might be the key to my problem. So, my next step will be to reinstall the Huey and calibrate the monitor. Then, I'll remove the Adobe Gamma loader. Lastly, I'll launch Adobe Gamma and load the new Huey profile. With any luck, this may do the trick ne_nau.gif

Ben
    edited June 8, 2006
    still problems
    I used Adobe Gamma to tune my monitor, but then photoshop and bridge went all dark on me if i kept the sRGB settings on my pics. If I dumped the color settings upon loading the pic, then it looks fine. What's the deal?

I would think if I used sRGB to view in PS, then it should look fine.

~Zach
    edited June 8, 2006
    Nevermind, I went into the Display properties on my graphics card and switched my color space back to sRGB and all is well again.

babyhopper wrote:
    I used Adobe Gamma to tune my monitor, but then photoshop and bridge went all dark on me if i kept the sRGB settings on my pics. If I dumped the color settings upon loading the pic, then it looks fine. What's the deal?

I would think if I used sRGB to view in PS, then it should look fine.

~Zach
  • LoicTasLoicTas Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2006
    Hi Ben

I have the same problem that you describe... did you manage to solve it ?
    I tried playing with Adobe Gamma as described but it doesn't seem to work (it all goes horribly wrong when I open up Adobe Gamma control panel...)

Sigh

Loic
    BenA2 wrote:
    I think that last sentence might be the key to my problem. So, my next step will be to reinstall the Huey and calibrate the monitor. Then, I'll remove the Adobe Gamma loader. Lastly, I'll launch Adobe Gamma and load the new Huey profile. With any luck, this may do the trick ne_nau.gif
    Ben
    edited June 18, 2006
    LoicTas wrote:
    Hi Ben

I have the same problem that you describe... did you manage to solve it ?
    I tried playing with Adobe Gamma as described but it doesn't seem to work (it all goes horribly wrong when I open up Adobe Gamma control panel...)

Sigh

Loic
    I haven't tried this yet because I haven't wanted to mess with anything until I got through a few batches of post-processing. I'm certainly not encouraged to try it based on your experience. I may just have to give up on monitor calibration. This is really frustrating. I would love it if someone who has used the Huey and is getting the correct performance in PS could chime in here. But, so far, nothing.

Ben
  • LoicTasLoicTas Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2006
    Thanks Ben

FYI I found this thread which describes the same problem but on Mac
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0087L7&tag=
    The solution had to do with ColorSync.

I'll try another list and let you know how I go.

L

BenA2 wrote:
    I haven't tried this yet because I haven't wanted to mess with anything until I got through a few batches of post-processing. I'm certainly not encouraged to try it based on your experience. I may just have to give up on monitor calibration. This is really frustrating. I would love it if someone who has used the Huey and is getting the correct performance in PS could chime in here. But, so far, nothing.
  • XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Didn't realize I had the same problem until I read this.

Just loaded CS2
    Monitor calibrated by Spyder2express
    Followed Adobe's instructions, Adobe Gamma out of startup folder and loading Syd*.icc into Adobe Gamma.

Open test.psd file in PSE4 & CS2. The file doesn't look the same in CS2 and PSE4. Best I can desribe it, the reds in CS2 look blood red and Ferrari red in PSE4.

Save test.psd as test cs2.jpg and test pse.jpg and open both jpgs in IE. They look the same and match what the file looked like in PSE4.

Use the eyedropper on the same spot and CS2 & PSE4, numbers a perfect match as expected but had to check.

My color setting in PSE4 is no color management so back to CS2. Started playing color settings. Had been using NA General Purpose 2 & after trying a couple selected Monitor Color. Bingo the color in CS2 matched the colors in PSE4 and IE. Working Space RGB is now Monitor RGB - Spyder2express

Did I fix it? Don't know at least I got everything the same wrong page.
    I Shoot Canons
    edited June 20, 2006
    Need to set working space to sRGB
    XHawkeye wrote:
    My color setting in PSE4 is no color management so back to CS2. Started playing color settings. Had been using NA General Purpose 2 & after trying a couple selected Monitor Color. Bingo the color in CS2 matched the colors in PSE4 and IE. Working Space RGB is now Monitor RGB - Spyder2express
    Thanks for the info XHawkeye. The problem here, is that the objective is to set the working color space to sRGB, because that's the color space you want embedded in your images. If you work in your Monitor RGB, that will get embedded in yours, and when others view you're files, they'll be wrong. At least, that's how I understand it.ne_nau.gif

Ben
    edited June 20, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    Thanks for the info XHawkeye. The problem here, is that the objective is to set the working color space to sRGB, because that's the color space you want embedded in your images. If you work in your Monitor RGB, that will get embedded in yours, and when others view you're files, they'll be wrong. At least, that's how I understand it.ne_nau.gif

Ben

You're correct Ben.

Never embed a custom printer or monitor profile into your images that you publish. Always embed a standard profile (e.g. sRGB or adobeRGB).

You (when chosing sRGB):
    Demosaicing: RAW --sRGB--> JPEG(with the sRGB embedded)
    Viewing: JPEG --sRGB--> YourVideoCard/Driver/LOT --YourMonitorProfile--> YourMonitor

Other viewers of your JPEG:
    Viewing: JPEG --sRGB--> TheirVideoCard/Driver/LOT --TheirMonitorProfile--> TheirMonitor

where sRGB (can be adobeRGB as well or some other standard color space) is the color space embedded in the JPEG (or TIFF).

For printing:
    Using standard color space: SoftProofedJPEG --sRGB--> Printer/Driver --> Paper.
    Using custom color space: ConvertedJPEG --PrinterProfile--> Printer/Driver --> Paper

where PrinterProfile is the color profile embedded in the converted JPEG.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Experimented with this again and added DPP to the mix.

First try
    Use DPP edit white balance & exposure. Output an 8-bit file Test.tif
    DPP Color Management settings
    Default settings for Work color space: sRGB
    Color matching settings: for display: Monitor profile

Open test.tiff in CS2 and save as Test CS2.jpg
    Color settings: NA General Purpose 2

Open test.tiff in PSE4 and save as Test PSE4.jpg
    Color settings: Allow Me to Choose

Open both jpgs in IE

Results
    Colors in DPP, CS2 & PSE4 matched, the two IE jpgs colors matched each other but did not match the editing software.

Second try
    DPP Color Management settings
    Color matching settings: for display: changed to sRGB

Result
    Colors in DPP match the IE jpgs.

Third try
    PSE4 Color settings
    changed to No Color Management

Result
    Colors in DPP, PSE4 match the IE jpgs.

Fourth try
    Go to the control panel and open Adobe Gamma. Load sRGB IEC61966-2.1.icm instead of the Spyder2express.icm. The opposite of what this says to do www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/321608.html

Result
    Colors in DPP, CS2 & PSE4 match the IE jpgs.

Am I making progress or still spinning my wheels?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    I Shoot Canons
  • FlaviuFlaviu Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 24, 2006
    My experience
    Hello everybody,
    I'm not really sure I really understand all what you are talking about in this thread, but my experience with PS is :
    - to print pictures, I choose a custom proof config that represents the icc profile for my prineter. Than, the printed picture is (more or less) the same as on the screen
    - to save pictures as jpg to be viewed in IE, I choose in "Proof Setup" the option "Monitor RGB". Than, the saved jpeg looks in IE the same as in PS with this profile on. If I forget to choose Monitor RGB and create the jpg, that the jpg doesn't look the same in PS and IE

What bothers me, is that every time I open a psd file, I have to choose again the proof setup. Does somebody know of a way to permanently choose a specific proof setup.
    edited June 25, 2006
    Flaviu wrote:
    - to print pictures, I choose a custom proof config that represents the icc profile for my prineter. Than, the printed picture is (more or less) the same as on the screen
    That's the correct procedure. But, what we're discussing here is not a printing issue (at least not directly).
    Flaviu wrote:
    - to save pictures as jpg to be viewed in IE, I choose in "Proof Setup" the option "Monitor RGB". Than, the saved jpeg looks in IE the same as in PS with this profile on. If I forget to choose Monitor RGB and create the jpg, that the jpg doesn't look the same in PS and IE
    Yes, that's what happens to me too. But that's not the correct behavior. When viewing an sRGB image in photoshop, the image should look EXACTLY the same with proofing off as it does with Monitor RGB proofing on.

You'll get the results you want doing this, but it creates two problems:

1) It requires the extra step of having to do the Monitor RGB proof.

2) Your other Adobe apps (Bridge and ACR in particular) don't have the proofing feature, so colors in these apps will not be displayed correctly.
    Flaviu wrote:
    What bothers me, is that every time I open a psd file, I have to choose again the proof setup. Does somebody know of a way to permanently choose a specific proof setup.
    Sorry, I don't think that can be done.

-Ben
    edited June 26, 2006
    Flaviu wrote:
    Hello everybody,
    I'm not really sure I really understand all what you are talking about in this thread, but my experience with PS is :

Flaviu,
    You use soft-proofing: Your print-process is correct.

About soft-proofing for web/display: This should NOT be necessary. If your system is configured correctly, then your monitor-profile is always active (given that your video-card's LOT has been calibrated correctly according to your monitor profile). Doing a soft-proof with your monitor-profile will apply this profile twice, causing incorrect results.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • pachiupachiu Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2006
    Ben, I'm having the exact same problem. In addition to the shift in reds, I'm finding the blues also tend to shift to purple-ish in PS. Did you finally have the problem solved?

Thanks!

Andy
    edited July 10, 2006
    Afraid not
    pachiu wrote:
    Ben, I'm having the exact same problem. In addition to the shift in reds, I'm finding the blues also tend to shift to purple-ish in PS. Did you finally have the problem solved?

Thanks!

Andy
    I've still got nothing. I keep my eye on this thread though and hope that somebody who's used the Huey (or even another calibration tool) in XP has actually gotten it to work with PS.

Anyone?... Bueller?...
    edited July 11, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    I've still got nothing. I keep my eye on this thread though and hope that somebody who's used the Huey (or even another calibration tool) in XP has actually gotten it to work with PS.

Anyone?... Bueller?...

I posted some messsages earlier to this thread... my setup is working fine. I have no problems. I used Greta's Eye1 calibration tool.

Note that there always will be some little differences, based on how well your monitor is calibrated. But it seems that the differences you see are just too large.

I hope you find some answers.

Have you asked the company that makes the Huey?

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • jim_macpjim_macp Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:

Anyone?... Bueller?...

Ben,

Followed your thread with interest; i've also been tackling this problem. After using the Huey (or Gamma) i found that though photos looked realistic in photoshop, if i opened the file in picture viewer or set it as a background the colours would shift. Perticularly reds, which would shift to the point of making pink in faces look sun burnt. As you noted, if monitor proofing was enabled in photoshop then the pic would display in photoshop as it would in the rest of my apps.

people have suggested that windows generally is not colour managed. it has also been suggeted that monitor calibration (Huey, agmma or whatever) only acts in photoshop and not in windows as a whole. i have found this to be misleading. If the calibration loader is not included in startup then windows appearance is very different. surely this is indicates that the calibration is applied to windows?

But the crux of the problem for me was in the control panel. my windows system had been applying an AdobeRGB1998 profile rather than the sRGB i had presumed. in the control panel, open the display icon and go to system > advanced. Under the tab tiled colour management you can see the colour profile applied. In my case it was AdobeRGB1998. I changed to sRGB and the psp/windows colour shift problem was eliminated.

The colour shift must have originated from a conflict between the sRGB/AdobeRGB1998 profiles.

Something that has been bugging me though is why there is a (very slight) difference between psp and windows if i apply the profile which huey created to windows. What is the point of huey's icc file if photoshop and windows are both using the sRGB profile? i can see that huey has done it's job, the colour changes dramatically when the tray app starts up. but what is it's icc profile for?

But his is a minor issue, there is only a very little difference between the sRGB and huey icc files.

Hopefully you find this helpful.

Jim
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    First off guys once you calibrate your monitor with which ever hardware calibratin tool you use. Search through all of the startup files and remove the AdobeGamma short cut. DO NOT delete the AdobeGamma from your control panel.

Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e33dca0-7721-43ca-9174-7f8d429fbb9e&DisplayLang=en

And down load the XP color applet. Once that is done, then open and make sure your hardware generated monitor profile is the default profile.

Once that is taken care of, open PhotoShop and while it's opening do a cnt+alt+del. This will reset photoshop back to factory defaults. Leave the color settings alone!

If your using DPP and your done adjusting the RAW image then "convert and save" to a tif file. When you exit DPP and it asks you do you want to save tell it "NO TO ALL." This preserves you RAW image in its pristien state.

When you open that file in photshop the first time it will ask you what do you want to do about color management. (Since the tif is untaged) Select the middle option "use adobe1998" Not assign or embed!!!

Once you are done fooling around with the image and want to put it up on smugmug or send it out for printing then CONVERT to sRGB and save as a JPEG. DO NOT EMBED a color profile (either sRGB or Adobe1998)

Soft proofing is for printing only. Those profiles are for paper/printer combo's. If you print at cosco as an example and you like matte paper you can down load that paper/printer combo and soft proof your work. At no time should you work in a soft proof mode.

Now FF and IE6, File and Fax Viewer are not color aware applications things you do in photoshop may or may not appear a little bit different.

Prints you get may or may not appear alittle bit (little bit!!!) different. It is because your monitor displays by projecting/emmitting the light and you see an image in print by reflective light, two fundementally different ways of seeing.

Hope this helps
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com
    edited November 14, 2006
    Excellent post
    First off guys once you calibrate your monitor with which ever hardware calibratin tool you use. Search through all of the startup files and remove the AdobeGamma short cut. DO NOT delete the AdobeGamma from your control panel.

Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e33dca0-7721-43ca-9174-7f8d429fbb9e&DisplayLang=en

And down load the XP color applet. Once that is done, then open and make sure your hardware generated monitor profile is the default profile.

Once that is taken care of, open PhotoShop and while it's opening do a cnt+alt+del. This will reset photoshop back to factory defaults. Leave the color settings alone!

If your using DPP and your done adjusting the RAW image then "convert and save" to a tif file. When you exit DPP and it asks you do you want to save tell it "NO TO ALL." This preserves you RAW image in its pristien state.

When you open that file in photshop the first time it will ask you what do you want to do about color management. (Since the tif is untaged) Select the middle option "use adobe1998" Not assign or embed!!!

Once you are done fooling around with the image and want to put it up on smugmug or send it out for printing then CONVERT to sRGB and save as a JPEG. DO NOT EMBED a color profile (either sRGB or Adobe1998)

Soft proofing is for printing only. Those profiles are for paper/printer combo's. If you print at cosco as an example and you like matte paper you can down load that paper/printer combo and soft proof your work. At no time should you work in a soft proof mode.

Now FF and IE6, File and Fax Viewer are not color aware applications things you do in photoshop may or may not appear a little bit different.

Prints you get may or may not appear alittle bit (little bit!!!) different. It is because your monitor displays by projecting/emmitting the light and you see an image in print by reflective light, two fundementally different ways of seeing.

Hope this helps

Great post.

About the "use adobe1998": If you are working solely in sRGB (online only; only using print-services that require sRGB), use the sRGB option instead.... This will remove the hassle of converting to sRGB all the time.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is: