katz eye focussing screen:first impressions

gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
edited May 31, 2006 in Cameras
As I use manual focus lenses I needed a replacement for the matte Canon screen.

The Katz Eye focussing screen is a split circle type with a fresnel
ring around it.

Laser cut,it is brighter than the matte screen and when an eos af lens is fitted the focus points still light up.

As my SMC Takumars tended to underexpose I needed to use exposure compensation.Now I either don't need to or very little.

Its very good for fine focussing for 1:1 macro shots-AF is usually not very good at this magnification in any case and this allows very fine focus adjustments.

So if you want better fine manual focus I recommend it.

Another to lookout for is the HAODA screen which can be found in an ebay search
Latitude: 37° 52'South
Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Thanks for the info, Greg. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Forgive me if i'm wrong...

EDIT: I'm wrong. ^_^
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    That is correct on the 20D. I have seen no impact on my metering after installing the screen. Apparently on the Rebel, the metering is through the screen, so it is affected. IIRC, it's about 1/3 stop adjustment.

BTW, it is an excellent addition, I am very happy with mine.
    edited May 25, 2006
    That is correct on the 20D. I have seen no impact on my metering after installing the screen. Apparently on the Rebel, the metering is through the screen, so it is affected. IIRC, it's about 1/3 stop adjustment.

BTW, it is an excellent addition, I am very happy with mine.

EDIT: See above.
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited May 25, 2006
    I found this on the KatzEye site for the XT:

"... it doesn’t seem to have any significant effect on metering with the 350D. In evaluative or centerweighted modes, it tested dead on. In the partial mode, it appeared to overexpose a bit, but it is well within the range of exposure compensation available on the camera. The screen will have no effect on the functioning of the autofocus sensors of the camera."
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 25, 2006
    I've owned a 20D, 10D, and 300D.

Every single one I've owned has a sub-mirror box AF emitter.

Are you talking about a film rebel?

I'm not sure what the AF emitter has to do with metering, but maybe this diagram can help you understand how the metering works in a Canon dSLR. Note that the metering is above the focussing screen and is later in the optical path.

ZCUTSIDE.JPG
    ziggy53
    edited May 25, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm not sure what the AF emitter has to do with metering, but maybe this diagram can help you understand how the metering works in a Canon dSLR. Note that the metering is above the focussing screen and is later in the optical path.

ZCUTSIDE.JPG

Fark. I'm a doofus. I was thinking AF. My bad.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited May 25, 2006
    Fark. I'm a doofus. I was thinking AF. My bad.

Not a problem. Wait till you get to be my age.11doh.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    good
    i'm glad thats all sorted out..great diagram ziggy ..where did you get that from?

only a first impression and no rigourous testing..focus is so much more pleasurable and accurate.

the area within the microprism colllar certainly is quite bright and will help in low light focussing.

its so much better compared to that of the spotmatic ,or the canon a1,being two that are close to hand

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited May 26, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    i'm glad thats all sorted out..great diagram ziggy ..where did you get that from?

Greg,

Thanks, I was hoping it was just a misunderstanding. Mostly I was hoping it wasn't "my" misunderstanding, because that happens a lot. :):

If you right-mouse-click on the image, and then look at the properties, you can see where it's from.
    gtc wrote:
    only a first impression and no rigourous testing..focus is so much more pleasurable and accurate.

the area within the microprism colllar certainly is quite bright and will help in low light focussing.

its so much better compared to that of the spotmatic ,or the canon a1,being two that are close to hand

Did you get the version with the improved coating?

Do you still see the array of focussing dots on the focus screen, or just the primary confirmation light?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    ...Its very good for fine focussing for 1:1 macro shots-AF is usually not very good at this magnification in any case and this allows very fine focus adjustments...

Forgive my interjection, but doesn't using the split prism mean that you must focus with the subject dead-center and then re-compose? And at 1:1, doen't re-composing pretty much throw critical focus off?

Maybe I'm wrong.

I've looked into Katz Eye focusing screens but for the Nikon DSLR's, apparently they affect the metering and can cause other issues. Bummer! I sure do love my FM2's screen...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited May 27, 2006
    focus
    Mathew and Ziggy
    Forgive my interjection, but doesn't using the split prism mean that you must focus with the subject dead-center and then re-compose? And at 1:1, doen't re-composing pretty much throw critical focus off?

You dont need to apologize for interjecting!

I see what you mean-I am usually happy to get the subject exposed and in focus and at 1:1 ,which is 2cm and therefore I rarely re-compose.I use my 60mm efs macro in any case ,its just that at extreme magnification the af is pretty useless and you have to do it by eye.If any composition changes are necessary then its take another shot or crop.

Ziggy,the focus points all light up with my AF lens but the focus confirm light does not work on my 20d using manual lenses,so I don't lose anything there-unless you have found out a way to get it to work!

The screen is well worth the expenditure if you want to get more keepers.

I've looked into Katz Eye focusing screens but for the Nikon DSLR's, apparently they affect the metering and can cause other issues. Bummer! I sure do love my FM2's screen...

Metering depends on your camera lens combo-as ziggies diagram shows not all cameras meter from the focussing screen.

-Matt-

edited May 27, 2006
    focus
    Ziggy see below my reply to Mathew and your good self-left out a bit of reply-i just bought the "plus" not the brightened version

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Ooh, I dunno if I could live with no focus indicator light on manual focus lenses. I wonder how the Nikon DSLRs fair in this respect. They are different from the Canons in that they don't illuminate the AF point, but instead a little light below the screen...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited May 28, 2006
    test
    you could test it by taping,or some other less sticky method, the contacts between the lens and body. this should mimic a manual lens on the nikon.

nikonians should be able to tell you.

edited May 28, 2006

Maybe I'm wrong.

-Matt-

Since the focus is established from below the mirror box, you'd still get all of your focus points, whether they'd show up on the screen as "boxes", no clue. They'd still be there though, hidden?
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited May 30, 2006
    af points and focus confirm light
    the focus points are still there and visible just not operational with an old manual lens-they work fine with an eos dedicated AF lens.

the main reason i got a focussing screen is that the focus confirm light/dot does not work with manual lenses on the 20d and also for macro as well as getting finer control over my lenses.

there is an m42 screwmount to eos adapter with some electronics on it which mimic an af lens and enable the focus confirmlight to operate but it is some way off and i dont know how much it will cost -even with this there will still be the af problems at 1:1 macro and beyond

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 30, 2006
    Does the Katz eye focusing screen with the fresnel and spit image viewfinder affect the light metering - specifically the Evaluative metering ability on the 20D??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 30, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Does the Katz eye focusing screen with the fresnel and spit image viewfinder affect the light metering - specifically the Evaluative metering ability on the 20D??

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Katz-Eye-Focusing-Screen-for-the-Canon-20D--prod_20D.html

Read the first paragraph for their evaluation of the effect on exposure.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • MnRMnR Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2006
    Hi,

The 20D as I understand it has two screens. You only replace the one and leave the focus points in the camera. The 300D has only one screen and the focus points will Not show on the Katz eye screen.

MnR
    edited May 30, 2006
    thanks
    thanks-it confirms that i did the right thing by purcahsing a 20d

• jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    No screen yet for 30D
    I asked Katz Eye about whether or not the 20D screen can be used on the 30D; they said they're still experimenting with it, and as yet they wouldn't recommend it but that they should have more information within a few weeks. They say they will certainly have a screen for the 30D one way or another.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    I normally use center-weighted and have not seen any significant change in exposure from the stock screen--which answers the actual question. The 20D does have the focus points on a separate screen & they are left alone & work normally.