Butterfly closeups

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited May 26, 2006 in Holy Macro
Managed to get some closeups of the normally timid holly blue butterfly today due I think to the high winds around at the moment here.
First 2 pics are uncropped, second 2 pics are crops from the first 2 pics. Taken with my MPE-65 lens

Brian V.

152396844_2de17127c1_o.jpg

152404095_f28554af9f_o.jpg

152396845_1d228daa0d_o.jpg

152404096_e38ea19998_o.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 24, 2006
    Your stuff never ceases to amaze me, Brian. clap.gif I was wondering though...do you ever have nightmares with huge bugs closing in on you? Or are those just sweet dreams for you? rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Those are sweet.

I have to wonder, what's with the filiments coming out of the eyes. I had always assumed that insect eyes were just a series of exposed lenses and, other-wise, smooth. Can you provide some background/information on what we are seeing here. Thanks.

Photography, just another opportunity to learn something new by better observing the world around us.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Your stuff never ceases to amaze me, Brian. clap.gif I was wondering though...do you ever have nightmares with huge bugs closing in on you? Or are those just sweet dreams for you? rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    Thanks Richard :)
    No - No nightmares yet :)
    Brian V.
    edited May 24, 2006
    Those are sweet.

I have to wonder, what's with the filiments coming out of the eyes. I had always assumed that insect eyes were just a series of exposed lenses and, other-wise, smooth. Can you provide some background/information on what we are seeing here. Thanks.

Photography, just another opportunity to learn something new by better observing the world around us.

Thanks Scott :)

As I suspect you know many insects have compound eyes which is what you can see here but as I found out last year most bugs that are associated with flowers have hairs coming out of their eyes- including flies, butterflies, hoverflies and bees. The hairs are very fine and virtually transparent- they only show if the lighting is just right. I can only assume this is an adaption to stop pollen sticking to the surface of the eye- ie it sticks to the hairs and can be rubbed off :)
    Brian V.
  • SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    holy moly, your pictures are amazing!
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Thanks Scott :)

As I suspect you know many insects have compound eyes which is what you can see here but as I found out last year most bugs that are associated with flowers have hairs coming out of their eyes- including flies, butterflies, hoverflies and bees. The hairs are very fine and virtually transparent- they only show if the lighting is just right. I can only assume this is an adaption to stop pollen sticking to the surface of the eye- ie it sticks to the hairs and can be rubbed off :)
    Brian V.
    Yeah, you're right in assuming I knew about the compound eyes (I'm getting more feeble all the time, but still just barely able to remember grade-school education, most of the time :D - humor is so difficult in this format!!). And if I didn't know about compound eyes, your wonderful photos would make that fact abundantly clear.

Your explaination for the fine hairs makes a lot of sense, especially in light of the fact that they only show up on insects that are likely to be putting their faces in places where their eyes are likely to get dusted/dirty.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Amazing as always i really love your work
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited May 25, 2006
    Sushant wrote:
    holy moly, your pictures are amazing!
    Thanks Sushant :)
    Brian V.
    edited May 25, 2006
    Amazing as always i really love your work
    Thanks Awais- your comments are much appreciated.
    Brian V.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 25, 2006
    Brian,

Does National Geographic know about you? I mean I think they should. These are truly spectacular images and equal some of the best I've seen. (... and I'm pretty old too.)

Bravo sir, bravo.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Ziggy's got a point... the crop on the second one just blows me away. The textures and color are just great.
    Chris
    edited May 26, 2006
    Thanks for the comments Ziggy and Chris.
    Hope NG don't know about me- they'd probably want macro bug shots from Mount Everest or something :)
    Brian V.