Options

All Thumbs Hover Blowup

LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
Some title eh?

The closest thing I could find to what I'd like was in the "Pimp Your Ride" thread. Therein, hovering over a thumbnail places a larger image into a designated location.

Has anyone come up with a way to have an "All Thumbs" layout wherein the viewer, when hovering over a thumbnail, is shows a blow-up (medium) of that same picture? This would be a way to more expediently browse a large group of photos, I think, and would entail the blown-up version being 'placed' (or, hovering) over the root thumbnail pic.
We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
... come along.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    So I'm thinking this will require javascripting, so it may need to be moved to the 'other' forum.

Along those lines, I'm thinking about the process... css would call up a javascript for 'hover' (over pictures? I don't know the tag for this) in the "all thumbs" galleries. The javascript would need to pull the name of the current photo, truncate whatever ending designates 'thumbnail' (-T?) and replace it with "-M" (or, "-M.jpg"), and set the display area (I think). Am I on the right track? I'm probably missing a lot, but I'm trying to think this through completely before attempting to write any code.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    So I'm thinking this will erquire javascripting, so it may need to be moved to the 'other' forum.

Along those lines, I'm thinking about the process... css would call up a javascript for 'hover' (over pictures? I don't know the tag for this) in the "all thumbs" galleries. The javascript would need to pull the name of the current photo, truncate whatever ending designates 'thumbnail' (-T?) and replace it with "-M" (or, "-M.jpg"), and set the display area (I think). Am I on the right track? I'm probably missing a lot, but I'm trying to think this through completely before attempting to write any code.
    Remember CSS doesn't "call" anything, it just styles, so there is no way that CSS code can call for a javascript function ( i think ), you can do it in html. I have no idea if it is possible, it will be a hack for sure. thumb.gif
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 24, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    So I'm thinking this will erquire javascripting, so it may need to be moved to the 'other' forum.

you are on exactly the right track.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    ... This would be a way to more expediently browse a large group of photos...

LeDude, good luck with this task as I think this would be a great addition to the All Thumbs style. I know it is something I'd implement on my site.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    LeDude, good luck with this task as I think this would be a great addition to the All Thumbs style. I know it is something I'd implement on my site.

I'm pretty slow to figure these things out, but I at least I see a light at the end of the tunnel here... check out this site for what I'm looking at right now: LINK
    ... come along.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 26, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    I'm pretty slow to figure these things out, but I at least I see a light at the end of the tunnel here... check out this site for what I'm looking at right now: LINK
    that's not gonna work

1) you'll need access to the html...which you dont have
    2) you'd need the thumbnails to be the ultimate size you wanted to display, which they're not

you're gonna need to do a straight up javascript hack to get this working.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    that's not gonna work...
    you're gonna need to do a straight up javascript hack to get this working.

yes... I've discovered that now... it does function within an html only page... but it is not integrated with the All Thumbs, so it could be created manually this way I suppose, but that would be ridiculous.

alright, atleast I'm learning now ;)

oh yes... and if there's anyone who wants to display images and have them blown up all within a photo or gallery description, I can describe how... let me know (its basically a copy-paste from this page

thanks for the help,
    Rich
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    <*script>
    /*
    Simple Image Trail script- By JavaScriptKit.com
    Visit http://www.javascriptkit.com for this script and more
    This notice must stay intact
    */

var w=1
    var h=1

if (document.getElementById || document.all)
    document.write('s.gif
    ')

function gettrailobj()
    {
    if (document.getElementById) return document.getElementById("trailimageid").style
    else if (document.all) return document.all.trailimagid.style
    }

function truebody()
    {
    return (!window.opera && document.compatMode && document.compatMode!="BackCompat")? document.documentElement : document.body
    }

function hidetrail()
    {
    document.onmousemove=""
    document.getElementById('ttimg').src='img/s.gif'
    gettrailobj().visibility="hidden"
    gettrailobj().left=-1000
    gettrailobj().top=0
    }

function showtrail(width,height,file)
    {
    if(navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('opera') == -1 && navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('safari') == -1)
    {
    w=width
    h=height

// followmouse()

gettrailobj().visibility="visible"
    gettrailobj().width=w+"px"
    gettrailobj().height=h+"px"
    document.getElementById('ttimg').src=file
    document.onmousemove=followmouse
    }
    }

function followmouse(e)
    {

if(navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('opera') == -1 && navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('safari') == -1)
    {

var xcoord=20
    var ycoord=20

if (typeof e != "undefined")
    {
    xcoord+=e.pageX
    ycoord+=e.pageY
    }
    else if (typeof window.event !="undefined")
    {
    xcoord+=truebody().scrollLeft+event.clientX
    ycoord+=truebody().scrollTop+event.clientY
    }

var docwidth=document.all? truebody().scrollLeft+truebody().clientWidth : pageXOffset+window.innerWidth-15
    var docheight=document.all? Math.max(truebody().scrollHeight, truebody().clientHeight) : Math.max(document.body.offsetHeight, window.innerHeight)

if (xcoord+w+3>docwidth)
    xcoord=xcoord-w-(20*2)

if (ycoord-truebody().scrollTop+h>truebody().clientHeight)
    ycoord=ycoord-h-20;

gettrailobj().left=xcoord+"px"
    gettrailobj().top=ycoord+"px"

}

}
    <*/script>
    <*img onmouseover="showtrail(200,300,'largeimage.gif');" onmouseout="hidetrail();" src="smallimage.gif" width="67" height="100" style="padding-top:10px;" />

" Just change the showtrail() arguments to your own image's height, width and name."

So I'm a big cheater and found this here. But, cheater that I am, I'm a little uncertain as to how to implement it in Smugmug... little help?

If the above quote is correct, then all I need is the javascript portion that creates variables with these values actively. In other words, I need the code that returns the h, w & n of the image over which the user is hovering.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    What command will get me an image's properties? I need the width, height and url. A secondary question: I am assuming this will be done onMouseOver... is there a preferable method (e.g. onLoad)?
    ... come along.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 31, 2006
    Hey LeDude,

I have started some work on this hack. Currently, it's only working properly on IE with Th or Ti images,

Check it out on my website below.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey LeDude,

I have started some work on this hack. Currently, it's only working properly on IE with Th or Ti images,

Cheers,

David
    SUWEEET clap.gif excellent job David
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    SUWEEET clap.gif excellent job David
    Dev is da devoboboBOMB!

clap.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey LeDude,

For some reason it doesn't work very good in Maxthon, which uses the IE engine - the script seems to crash after successfully hovering a few times over the photos.
    Works in plain IE, but only if you don't scroll the page down! When you scroll just a little it doesn't work until you go to the top of the page. ne_nau.gif

Great job so far,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    Works in plain IE, but only if you don't scroll the page down! When you scroll just a little it doesn't work until you go to the top of the page. ne_nau.gif
    i know there is some issues, i really haven't had a chance to have a close look at the code.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    i know there is some issues, i really haven't had a chance to have a close look at the code.

devbobo, Andy is right, you is da devboboBomB! I am spending some time to look closely at your code...can't say I'm gonna be much help debugging, but I will learn quickly on this app; so, a double thanks!

-LeDude
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    devbobo wrote:

oh yes... and in my research so far I have read about folks having to deal with the whole z-axis thing differently for IE and other browsers; this was an issue with a CSS version of a pic blowup app
    ... come along.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    That is very, very cool. Yep, on FF the spacing isn't right. I will be watching this with great interest, I think it's a great idea.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey LeDude,

Cheers,

David

cheers mate... it seems to be working much faster now, did you alter the script?

I had broken down the whole thing in notepad (carriage returns, spacing, etc.) to take a closer look... but I don't think I saved it. So, I'm starting over and trying to read through the whole deal. I really appreciate you getting this started. Hopefully, I can learn a bit here and help refine the code.

-LeDude
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    cheers mate... it seems to be working much faster now, did you alter the script?

Hey LeDude,

I was messing around with the code to see if I could get it working in FF. Not sure that it should be faster ne_nau.gif

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos