Silly question...

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited May 25, 2006 in Cameras
What in the world does ISO stand for? After 2 months of having this DSLR of mine, I still don't know what it stands for. All I can find on the web is "International Standards Organization".

What does an international organization have to do with the standards of how we set our ISO settings?:dunno :rofl Seems to me it would make more sense if it stood for "Image Sensor Optimizer".icon10.gif However, I do notice the higher the ISO, the fuzzier the picture becomes.

Sorry for not knowing DSLR or even FSLR stuff, but I've been busy, and I can't find just anything in the manual nor on the web.:rolleyes If it does stand for international standards organization, then why such a name?

Thanks!
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    What in the world does ISO stand for? After 2 months of having this DSLR of mine, I still don't know what it stands for. All I can find on the web is "International Standards Organization".

What does an international organization have to do with the standards of how we set our ISO settings?ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif Seems to me it would make more sense if it stood for "Image Sensor Optimizer".icon10.gif However, I do notice the higher the ISO, the fuzzier the picture becomes.

Sorry for not knowing DSLR or even FSLR stuff, but I've been busy and I can't find just anything in the manual, nor on the web.rolleyes1.gif If it does stand for international standards organization, then why such a name?

Thanks!

ISO is interenational Standards Organization I believe. ASA is American Standards Association and they both are used in reference with Film Speed or the sensitivity to light, which is probably more accurate.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    That is correct. It's just a large organization that maintains various standards & this happens to be one of them. They are kind of like an international UL, or ASTM, or CSA, etc, etc. The actual official name is in French, but ends up abbreviating to ISO & translating to International Standards Organization.