Options

Camera broken: scared, sent to Canon

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 25, 2006 in Cameras
The error 99 came on, but instead of working again with the usual "tricks", the shutter kept firing and the error 99 never went away.

Canon said I would have to send it in. No idea of the cost, from "no charge" to "no idea".

All I have to do is let the camera look at a battery and the shutter starts running away with the camera. NO looking at menus, no anything, just shutter action.

I tried cleaning the contacts.

No rentals in Charleston and have to save money in case I have to PAY for this repair. The shipping alone is more than I have.

Not happy here.

But what have your experiences been with cameras and canon repair? I am not in warranty. My warranty ran out in February.

I can't even imagine why the man said there might be no cost.

I have had a few error 99s in the past, they always were resolved easily, so I had no idea that this could be so devastating.

No idea what to do for the next few weeks....................

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    But what have your experiences been with cameras and canon repair? I am not in warranty. My warranty ran out in February.

While I don't have experience with Canon's DSLR repair, my wife dropped and jammed the lens mechanism on her Digital Elph. She was well outside of warrantee, and we even told them that it was the result of a drop, yet Canon fixed it for no charge. We were very pleasantly surprised.

I would guess, with the camera just out of warrantee and the problem being a known issue with the body, that you will have an excellent chance of Canon taking care of it for no cost other than shipment to them. Nothing's guaranteed, of course, but they seem to try to do well by their customers.

I hope it works out that way, best of luck.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 24, 2006
    Canon's repair service gets high marks. I spoke with a pro in Bryce who said exactly that.

And I agree, Ginger.

I had a shutter replaced in 1DsMKII by them recently, at no charge also.

Be sure and let us know your opinion, in a few weeks, when you get your camera back.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

No idea what to do for the next few weeks....................

ginger

Use the time to improve your PS Skills, go back and pick fifty of your best shots and rework them with your improved skills.

Cull your junk, toss it! Make Room on your hard disk. Defrag. Upgrade software. Read a book. Knit.

Have some seafood.

Watch the birds, at dawn, with no camera but a great cuppa Joe.

deal.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Thanks all. I hope, mostly based on what you all say, but also the fact that it is an error 99, I was taking photos right up until the shutter went crazy. I hope there is no charge.

Andy, I agree with cleaning up my files. Plus, the most important thing I could do is to work up, print, and deliver the photos I have promised to people.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Wishing you the best results, Ginger.

Dust off your old P&S camera - you still have daily photos to shoot mwink.gif (just kidding, don't get too stressed - nikon treated me right on a repair last year and canon fixed an out of warranty point and shoot for me and charged just a few bucks a few years ago - mainly just the shipping).
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen