Lens suggestions needed

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited May 24, 2006 in Cameras
I may have a shoot coming my way of a local restaurant. They want some interior shots and some food shots for their website. What lenses would you suggest? I have access (via a friend) to the 35L, 16-35, 24-70, and 85L. I also have my 50/1.4. Any other suggestions or past experience to share? This would be my first real paying gig, so I want to be prepared. TIA.
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    If you really wanted to be prepared......bring em all. But also make sure you practice with them and you know what you are getting from each lens.thumb.gifGood luck.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 24, 2006
    Think about lighting and reflectors, as opposed to more lenses. Your selection sounds fine.

You MIGHT think about a macro lens, if food close ups are the order of the day. A screw on front element macro adapter like the 500D from Canon is probably more than adequate with the 24-70 or the 50 prime.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited May 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Think about lighting and reflectors, as opposed to more lenses. Your selection sounds fine.

You MIGHT think about a macro lens, if food close ups are the order of the day. A screw on front element macro adapter like the 500D from Canon is probably more than adequate with the 24-70 or the 50 prime.

15524779-Ti.gif with everything Pathfinder is telling you. The interiors are going to be challenging for lighting control. Allow ample time for that part of the shoot, maybe a couple of days, depending on their needs. Do some preliminary scouting and test shots prior to the actual shoot to get best use of production time and discover problem areas beforehand.

The food stuff is usually much easier to shoot in a studio. Making food look palatable and enticing is an art form of its own. It's not unusual to see multiple lights on just the subject and then more for a carefully controlled background.

Have you seen any samples of what the client expects? Do you know the intended distribution medium? If it's printed flyers, for example, you need to work with the printer to discover their preferences and settings.

What time of the day are you allowed to shoot? This will impact ambient light, and may impact the effect the customer is after.

Best of luck,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums