Heaven & Lucky

LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
edited May 25, 2006 in People
I took some quasi-impromptu portraits of two lovely lady bartenders recently. Their names are Gannete and Tadiliche, but I am not sure about the spelling so I have and will use the English meaning of their names, Heaven & Lucky (respectively... as translated by the Ethiopian gentleman sitting next to me at the bar)

Heaven #1
71505543-L.jpg

Heaven #2
71505458-L.jpg

Lucky #1
71505796-L.jpg

Lucky #2
71505359-L.jpg

Let me just say now, that as I took these shots and as I worked on processing them, I had the echoes of DGrinner comments running through my mind. My internal dialogue has been thoroughly permeated with the conversation of critique that occurs here, and it has had a tremendous, positive impact on my photography. For this, my sincerest thanks to you all.

Now, down to business. The first two shots here are flawed, in my mind, for two reasons. First, I did not realize the impact that being at 1.8* from such close range (2-3 ft.?) would have. I really wish the eyes were sharper... ahh, Yuri and Antonio, your presences loom large. Second, I think that if I was able to take the flash off camera and get a different lighting angle, the shot could be better. I particularly do not like the bright spot on the tip of her nose.

The second pair of shots, I think are, well... pretty darned good. The head on flash and lighting have a far more subtle effect, and is tolerable to me. And, although I must give credit to Lucky for this, I think her pose and use of the stairway work well (oooo-the light blue-red-green). That said, I know you all can find something to improve; and, I'm really eager to learn more, so have at it!

peace... love... music,
LeDude

[edit: oops, I forgot... I'd like to know y'alls favs of each subject]
[* gotcha gefillmore, if the study of law has taught me anything it's 'use the right words']
We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
... come along.

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 25, 2006
    nothin' wrong with 1.8, just gotta wait 'til you see the whites of their eyes; then the rest would be oof but gotta have the eyes in focus-

repeat twenty times daily- 'focal point on the eyes'-

like the lucky shots-

and not to be picky (but probably am), isn't it opening up to 1.8, not stopping down (unless you're at 1.2 then go to 1.8)-