Canon to stop making film cameras

jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
edited May 30, 2006 in Cameras
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-05-25T125117Z_01_T118988_RTRUKOC_0_US-JAPAN-CANON.xml&archived=False

I bet I caught your attention with the headline. The article has been corrected to mediate the tone from such an absolute, but I would bet heavily that the original story was correct and the update was the result of Canon's PR department freaking out. In any case it looks like they're doing the same thing Nikon is -- stop investing in film, but keep producing existing film models as long as people are buying them.
jim frost
jimf@frostbytes.com

Comments

• SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Can't say I blame them -- I'm surprised average people are still buying film.
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    SuperJared wrote:
    Can't say I blame them -- I'm surprised average people are still buying film.

Canon still makes 1V series film bodies. think they are around $2000 or so. Plus the Elan 7NE and EOS 3
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Canon still makes 1V series film bodies. think they are around $2000 or so. Plus the Elan 7NE and EOS 3

That's why I said "average". Most people aren't going to get one of those for a point-and-shoot. :):
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    SuperJared wrote:
    That's why I said "average". Most people aren't going to get one of those for a point-and-shoot. :):
    There could be several reasons why average people still buy a film camera, even a film SLR. Primary is likely to be the initial cost of entry. Entry-level film bodies are dirt cheap. Secondary could be fear of computers, or simply they know and understand film.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-05-25T125117Z_01_T118988_RTRUKOC_0_US-JAPAN-CANON.xml&archived=False

I bet I caught your attention with the headline. The article has been corrected to mediate the tone from such an absolute, but I would bet heavily that the original story was correct and the update was the result of Canon's PR department freaking out. In any case it looks like they're doing the same thing Nikon is -- stop investing in film, but keep producing existing film models as long as people are buying them.

Well, they would not be making an announcement for the fun of it, so it has to be an absolute thing.
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    There could be several reasons why average people still buy a film camera, even a film SLR. Primary is likely to be the initial cost of entry. Entry-level film bodies are dirt cheap. Secondary could be fear of computers, or simply they know and understand film.

There are "disposable" digitals for very little money and some low-resolution models for as little as $20. As for fear of computers, several people I know simply take the media to the camera store for printing and never use a computer at all. Thus I don't think either of these is much of a factor any longer.

I think, though, that the real factor destroying cheap film cameras is the ubiquitous cell phone camera.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    any idea on when they're gonna quit makin' them as far as production goesne_nau.gif if thats the case then here before long i better pick up that Elan 7N i was wanting before they quit sellin' them.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited May 27, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    any idea on when they're gonna quit makin' them as far as production goesne_nau.gif if thats the case then here before long i better pick up that Elan 7N i was wanting before they quit sellin' them.

Your better off picking up an EOS 3. Pretty nice film body
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    They aren't going to stop manufacturing existing film cameras. They are just going to cease development of new models.
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    I had a friend fill in for me and shoot a football game with his film camera. I bought the film and developed it with the photo cd. $7.50 for 5 rolls of film and $43.00 to develope:jawdrop

I can't imagine what the cost would have been if I had to shoot the whole season in film.

In the end, only 3 pictures sold. Not cost effective. At least for me.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited May 30, 2006
    johno wrote:
    I had a friend fill in for me and shoot a football game with his film camera. I bought the film and developed it with the photo cd. $7.50 for 5 rolls of film and $43.00 to develope:jawdrop

I can't imagine what the cost would have been if I had to shoot the whole season in film.

In the end, only 3 pictures sold. Not cost effective. At least for me.

peace.
    johno~
    You were using cheap film. Try shooting Velvia or Sensia or negative like NPx you are looking at $4.00+ a roll of 36.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses