Options

Vivitar 105mm, f2.8 used as macro lens

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
edited September 21, 2008 in Holy Macro
Meet my latest lens, the Vivitar 105mm, f2.8, M42 mount.

71544466-D.jpg

I'm not actually sure why I bought this lens.

It doesn't really replace anything I have. It's an old manual focus lens, that I have to use via an adapter, so it's not too convenient to use. It was pretty cheap at $41 USD; yeah that's it, it was cheap.

Besides, I just had to find out what the heck it is, because it's another of "those" lenses that just aren't documented anywhere. It's an "underdog" lens.

OK, so I got the thing, now what to do with it?

First, it was dirty. Not too bad, mostly simple dust.

Next, I tried it on the Canon dRebel XT. It was pretty much as expected, nothing spectacular, but a nice, prime lens of medium tele focal length.

What I really did need was a macro lens in the 100-200mm range, so I tried it that way. Close focus is not close at all, and early tests with an extension tube set were dismal, it just didn't work. But then I thought, "y'know, I've got that Minolta close-focus auxilliary lens that works pretty well on the Minolta A2, and it's got the same threads as the front of this lens, do you think maybe ...?"

So here's a test with the close-focus lens attached:

71544415-D.jpg

and here it is with a short (22mm) extension tube as well:

71544416-D.jpg

Not too shabby! These are resized for the Web, but not cropped in any way.

Here is the lens assemblage,

71544425-D.jpg

and here is an exploded view, with the lens alone up top, and then left to right, the EF-M42 adapter, the extension tube and then the Minolta close-focus lens which went up front.

71544422-D.jpg

Finally, the lighting used, which was 2-Sunpak 611 flashes, set on manual, 1/128th power, with paper diffusors taped to the front of each flash, and then a paper tube surrounding the subject to further reduce the output from the flashes and give a "light tent" effect.

71544461-D.jpg

71544459-D.jpg

What do you think?

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    I loved the closeups and nice setup
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    I loved the closeups and nice setup

Thanks Awais. Always nice to hear from you. I hope things are going well.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    I should add that both were hand-held shots. I was just too lazy to set up a tripod or copy stand.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Nice job and nice shots
    Looks like a cool setup

Fred
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Nice job and nice shots
    Looks like a cool setup

Fred

Thanks Fred. I have some shots planned to test it some more. It looks like it'll be good enough to work until I get a "good" macro lens.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 26, 2006
    You sure have a creative eye for a bargain lol3.gif nice work thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You sure have a creative eye for a bargain lol3.gif nice work thumb.gif

Erik,

"If never you try, then never you will know."

Yep, that's a ziggy original.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Great Close Ups
    Excellent Ziggy. I am so impressed with everything. What you have achieved with that dime is fantastic and the way you did it. Keep it going.
    Bob
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What do you think?

ziggy53

Nice setup. And I love the tone and detail of that dime. Some of those older Vivitar lenses were excellent and manufactured by stellar houses in Japan during the mid-70s. I have a fabled 70-210mm push/pull zoom macro Vivitar made by Komine. Pretty heavy, but they'll dig it up in 10,000 years.

Being a Pentax shooter, I have a small stable of M42 lenses I dip into. I like their color renditions and can shoot in full AV mode on my *DS. My favorite is a 40-year old Mamiya/Sekor 60mm, f2.8 1:1 macro, a preset no less. Incredible bokeh and color. I purchased it from an interesting gentleman who runs a quirky camera repair shop. It took me a few months to learn to exploit the frontal preset aperture capability and now I just love it. My faithful Tamron 90mm SP macro is being neglected. Oh well.
    I'll post some fun shots with the Mamiya pretty soon.
    M
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Interesting setup and good shots.
    Love the diffusers :)
    Brian V.
  • Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    nice work, love your light tentclap.gif
  • Options
    anoni_mooseanoni_moose Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2008
    Re: Vivitar 105mm, f2.8, M42
    Howdy All!
    First postrolleyes1.gif

Nice looking version of what appears to be a Vivitar TX(possibly a T4) lens made by Tokina(ser. #37xxx). This is evident by the tell tale O-L(open-lock) lever.

See this site for some good info on the Vivitar T4 & the later TX lenses;
    http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/t4_for_two.htm

Once you have confirmed the type of mount drop me an email at
    mefus2000@gmail.com

Regards...
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Ziggy, I got one of these as well, with a Nikon mount to them instead. Only problem is, is that I think it may have fungus infection. Did you wind up keeping this lens or passing it off later on? Debating on whether I want to pursue cleaning up the lens. Mine was made only a few away from yours.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Meet my latest lens, the Vivitar 105mm, f2.8, M42 mount.

71544466-D.jpg

I'm not actually sure why I bought this lens.

It doesn't really replace anything I have. It's an old manual focus lens, that I have to use via an adapter, so it's not too convenient to use. It was pretty cheap at $41 USD; yeah that's it, it was cheap.

Besides, I just had to find out what the heck it is, because it's another of "those" lenses that just aren't documented anywhere. It's an "underdog" lens.

OK, so I got the thing, now what to do with it?

First, it was dirty. Not too bad, mostly simple dust.

Next, I tried it on the Canon dRebel XT. It was pretty much as expected, nothing spectacular, but a nice, prime lens of medium tele focal length.

What I really did need was a macro lens in the 100-200mm range, so I tried it that way. Close focus is not close at all, and early tests with an extension tube set were dismal, it just didn't work. But then I thought, "y'know, I've got that Minolta close-focus auxilliary lens that works pretty well on the Minolta A2, and it's got the same threads as the front of this lens, do you think maybe ...?"

So here's a test with the close-focus lens attached:

71544415-D.jpg

and here it is with a short (22mm) extension tube as well:

71544416-D.jpg

Not too shabby! These are resized for the Web, but not cropped in any way.

Here is the lens assemblage,

71544425-D.jpg

and here is an exploded view, with the lens alone up top, and then left to right, the EF-M42 adapter, the extension tube and then the Minolta close-focus lens which went up front.

71544422-D.jpg

Finally, the lighting used, which was 2-Sunpak 611 flashes, set on manual, 1/128th power, with paper diffusors taped to the front of each flash, and then a paper tube surrounding the subject to further reduce the output from the flashes and give a "light tent" effect.

71544461-D.jpg

71544459-D.jpg

What do you think?

ziggy53
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2008
    Anybody else use this lens? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2008
    Nightowlcat,

I kept the lens. It's an inexpensive and high-quality solution. I still have Pentax screw-mount film cameras that can use the lens natively. I am not sure that I would recommend the cost of repairs to remove mildew.

I just recently got the Canon 77mm, 500D and it mounts on the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM. I have yet to really test the combination but early snapshots look pretty good. I'll also get the required ring to use the 500D with the EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy. I'm just leaving it out in the sun for now to see if things clear up any. Just got my power back up after a week without, thanks to Ike.