Options

How do I use StarExplorer on a 2nd Smugmug Account?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
I've been using StarExplorer for a long time now on my main SmugMug account. I now have a 2nd SmugMug account and want to use StarExplorer on that account to. I've got 1500 images across 50 galleries to upload.

StarExplorer seems to be hardwired to my first SmugMug account. How do I recofnigure it for my 2nd account so I can use it there?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    [quote=jfriend
    StarExplorer seems to be hardwired to my first SmugMug account. How do I recofnigure it for my 2nd account so I can use it there?[/quote]

I believe you will need to purchase another license for a few extra bucks. Check thier web page...
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Alternatives to StarExplorer?
    jfriend wrote:
    I've been using StarExplorer for a long time now on my main SmugMug account. I now have a 2nd SmugMug account and want to use StarExplorer on that account to. I've got 1500 images across 50 galleries to upload.

StarExplorer seems to be hardwired to my first SmugMug account. How do I recofnigure it for my 2nd account so I can use it there?

Wow, it looks like I've really got myself into a bind. I'm a paid "pro" user of StarExplorer. I "assumed" I could use it on any of my SmugMug accounts. Now I find that is not the case. Further, Nikolai (the author of StarExplorer) seems to be out of town until next week so I'm unlikely to get any questions answered from him until then.

Meanwhile, I have 1500 images across 50 galleries I need to upload to my second SmugMug account (the one StarExplorer won't work with). I don't really want to pay for another StarExplorer and I don't think Nikolai intends to make me buy something more just to use the same Pro version of the software with my 2nd account.

So, I'm wondering what my options are to get through this bind until Nikolai gets back?
    • What other uploaders can do unattended uploads of several GBs of images across 50 galleries?
    • Does anyone know if I find a clean machine that has never had StarExplorer on it (or I uninstall my licensed copy from a machine), will I be able to do my upload using the 30-day trial version of StarExplorer?
    • Any other ideas?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Wow, it looks like I've really got myself into a bind. I'm a paid "pro" user of StarExplorer. I "assumed" I could use it on any of my SmugMug accounts. Now I find that is not the case. Further, Nikolai (the author of StarExplorer) seems to be out of town until next week so I'm unlikely to get any questions answered from him until then.

Meanwhile, I have 1500 images across 50 galleries I need to upload to my second SmugMug account (the one StarExplorer won't work with). I don't really want to pay for another StarExplorer and I don't think Nikolai intends to make me buy something more just to use the same Pro version of the software with my 2nd account.

So, I'm wondering what my options are to get through this bind until Nikolai gets back?
    • What other uploaders can do unattended uploads of several GBs of images across 50 galleries?
    • Does anyone know if I find a clean machine that has never had StarExplorer on it (or I uninstall my licensed copy from a machine), will I be able to do my upload using the 30-day trial version of StarExplorer?
    • Any other ideas?

download another copy, and use the temp license he's published on the front page of his website? Then, when Nik is back from Utah, next week, you can sort out the details?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Can you run two StarExplorers from different directories?
    Andy wrote:
    download another copy, and use the temp license he's published on the front page of his website? Then, when Nik is back from Utah, next week, you can sort out the details?

Thanks Andy, that's what I was thinking about. Do you know if I can just install a 2nd copy with temp license in a different directory and it will use it's temp license? Or do I have to deinstall my current licensed version first? I guess I can just try it tonight.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Thanks Andy, that's what I was thinking about. Do you know if I can just install a 2nd copy with temp license in a different directory and it will use it's temp license? Or do I have to deinstall my current licensed version first? I guess I can just try it tonight.
    I'm sorry - I really don't know - Nik's not made a Mac version yet :D
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Figured out a work-around
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry - I really don't know - Nik's not made a Mac version yet :D
    Good luck!

I found a work-around. You can't just install a 2nd copy on a different account, but I was able to find a way to change accounts. This should get me over my current hurdle until I find the supported way to do this when Nik gets back.
    --John
    HomepagePopular