Options

Fishing with a camera

ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited May 27, 2006 in Wildlife
For Mother's Day, I took my wife up to Pine Mountain Lake for the weekend. We rented a cabin on the water and checked out the area. Since it was her weekend, I left my fishing gear at home (except my Pentax Optio WP waterproof fishing camera).

Sunday morning, while everybody was grabbing a shower or sleeping in a bit, I went down to the dock and checked out the early morning activity.

Thanks to my polarized sunglasses, I could easily see more than a dozen fish in the water near the dock. I laid down on the dock's deck where I could reach the water.

I stuck the camera in the water hoping to get lucky if I waited a while. Imagine my surprise when, despite the camera beeping as I periodically focused it to prevent it from turning itself off, several of the small fish came right up to check out the shiny silver thing in their playground.

They got close enough that I had to switch to macro mode. Because the camera was held under water and my head was still on the dock, I couldn't really see what the camera was pointed out. All I could do was guess, and shoot repeatedly.

Here are some of the better shots. No editing (yet)...just showing what the camera can do underwater when the bluegill come right up to say, "hi".

69697988-M.jpg

69698458-M.jpg

69698209-M.jpg

That last one was taken with the fish maybe an inch or two from the lens looking right into the camera.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 26, 2006
    That's pretty neat, Thwack. I really need to pick up one of those WP camera's for snorkelling.

Speaking of polarized sunglasses... I put a polarizer filter on a telephoto lens the other day and shot me a fish while standing on the shore. :):

IMG_4161.jpg

Look how small those buggers are compared to the leaf on the bottom.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Nice shot! I have a circular polarizing filter for my old Canon G2 I think. I wish there was a reasonable way to attach it to the WP. They make a world of difference!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Good work, those are hard shots to get. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"