Help not showing shooting data

Steve SSteve S Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited May 27, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I've clicked "Don't show shooting data" in my gallery customization, but it's still there. In fact, when I hover over my thumbnails, it actually strobes the shooting data. The strobe effect is the most annoying aspect of this whole problem. Having the shooting data show below the pics isn't as bothersome. I've written the admins, and they don't seem to know what's going on. Can anyone help me here?

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Steve S wrote:
    I've clicked "Don't show shooting data" in my gallery customization, but it's still there. In fact, when I hover over my thumbnails, it actually strobes the shooting data. The strobe effect is the most annoying aspect of this whole problem. Having the shooting data show below the pics isn't as bothersome. I've written the admins, and they don't seem to know what's going on. Can anyone help me here?
    the shooting data i am seeing is not the shooting data, but shooting data that ended up in your comment.... Do you do anything in your workflow that could cause the data to end up in your iptc comment?

Does it show on all your photos? check your photos that you still have on your computer to see if you have it on there aswell.

Oh, and welcome do dgrin wave.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Steve S wrote:
    I've written the admins, and they don't seem to know what's going on. Can anyone help me here?

IIRC, I answered your question when you wrote the help desk. Somehow, your shooting data (exif) is showing up in the caption field of your file.

There could be folks here with similar gear, setups, software - so, please detail your camera, and your workflow - I'm sure we can get you sorted, somehow.
  • Steve SSteve S Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    thnx Ivar/Andy,
    Andy wrote:
    IIRC, I answered your question when you wrote the help desk. Somehow, your shooting data (exif) is showing up in the caption field of your file.

There could be folks here with similar gear, setups, software - so, please detail your camera, and your workflow - I'm sure we can get you sorted, somehow.

fwiw, I'm shooting Nikon equip & using Nikon Transfer to copy the files over to my puter. From there, I edit/convert my raw (nef) files in Nikon Capture, then do my final edits in PS/CS2, then finally, do a "Save As" to preserve the shooting data, (vs a "Save For Web", which destroys the exif). Would love to get to the bottom of this dilema! Also, am totally dreading the re-uploading of the files I've already put on Smugmug once the solution is found!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Steve S wrote:
    fwiw, I'm shooting Nikon equip & using Nikon Transfer to copy the files over to my puter. From there, I edit/convert my raw (nef) files in Nikon Capture, then do my final edits in PS/CS2, then finally, do a "Save As" to preserve the shooting data, (vs a "Save For Web", which destroys the exif). Would love to get to the bottom of this dilema! Also, am totally dreading the re-uploading of the files I've already put on Smugmug once the solution is found!
    Nikon is quirky - we'll need to hear from some fellow Nikon shooters about how they deal with this. It's not on our end, though we'll try to help for sure!
  • Steve SSteve S Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Think I found the fix!
    Andy wrote:
    Nikon is quirky - we'll need to hear from some fellow Nikon shooters about how they deal with this. It's not on our end, though we'll try to help for sure!
    I unchecked "Add additional IPTC information to all files" and starting with this file upload, it doesn't strobe the info or show below the pic. YAY! Now I gotta do something about all those bloody files I uploaded when this pref was checked! eek7.gif
    71791703-O.jpg
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Steve S wrote:
    I unchecked "Add additional IPTC information to all files" and starting with this file upload, it doesn't strobe the info or show below the pic. YAY! Now I gotta do something about all those bloody files I uploaded when this pref was checked! eek7.gif
    71791703-Ti.jpg
    As far as smugmug goes, you can add/remove/change captions per gallery, you don't have to do that one by one. For your own files at your computer, same thing; there is software that mass-edits iptc captions. (ie adobe bridge, but i think pretty much all software that uses iptc tags )
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Steve S wrote:
    ... Now I gotta do something about all those bloody files I uploaded when this pref was checked! eek7.gif

If you're using Windows, see this thread for some IPTC editors that may be of help
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=31449

e.g., ThumbsPlus, PixVue, XnView, etc.

Good luck.