Hot Lenses - Summerproofing Ideas?

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited May 27, 2006 in Cameras
Summer is on the way folks, and this question has been on my mind since purchasing my Canon 20D and assorted lenses. I like to take my camera with me everywhere I go every day of the year. If I don't, you can bet I will miss a great shot. And I never know which lens I will be using, so all of those have to come along as well. Where I live is not the desert or the hottest place on the planet, but days often are in the high 80's and 90's. Thankfully, we no longer have to worry about keeping film cool! However, I am wondering what effect indirect heat has on cameras and lenses and what kind of care do you practice with your equipment on a daily basis. I have been hauling it all into my office in the morning, back to the car for an hour lunch, then back in the office. I find I am beginning to leave it at home, which I was afraid of. I always carried my point and shoot in my purse, but this is a tad less convenient. How do the people who work with cameras on a daily basis protect from heat? Do you leave your equipment in the trunk of your car for any extended period? How long do you feel is reasonable? I do realize you shouldn't leave a battery in your camera and I can easily tuck that in my purse. Any info or ideas for keeping equipment safe is appreciated.

Comments

• LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Don't leave your gear in the trunk! That's like leaving an infant in the car in the summertime with the windows rolled up.
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Your trunk will not get that hot even in direct sun. I have my gear in it and it sits in the sun all day while I'm at work and it gets warm, but not hot. Inside the car is another matter because the sunlight enters directly via the windows and heats it up very high. So keep it in the trunk and don't worry.

Of couese if you have a SUV, van, or truck, the above won't help you.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Liza wrote:
    Don't leave your gear in the trunk! That's like leaving an infant in the car in the summertime with the windows rolled up.

Batteries, lenses, cf cards, and the camera, and no issues. This stuff doesn't breathe.:D

I only recommend bringing it in when it gets cold and condensation can occur and also the cold really affects batteries.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liza

Khaos wrote:
    Batteries, lenses, cf cards, and the camera, and no issues. This stuff doesn't breathe.:D

I only recommend bringing it in when it gets cold and condensation can occur and also the cold really affects batteries.

Thanks Liza, I certainly wouldn't want to leave my "baby" in the trunk if it causes any harm!

Thanks, Khaos...2 very differing views!!! Anyone else????? How about you Pros?
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Hi Saurora -

If it helps, I live in Bakersfield CA and my gear stays in my SUV year round, even through the brutal summers. I would guess that the temp in the car could easily get to 120 deg. Also, if it's in a camera bag, it will always be cooler - sealed hard cases work awesome at keeping things cool!

Get tinted windows to prevent direct sunlight! :D
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Hi Saurora -

If it helps, I live in Bakersfield CA and my gear stays in my SUV year round, even through the brutal summers. I would guess that the temp in the car could easily get to 120 deg. Also, if it's in a camera bag, it will always be cooler - sealed hard cases work awesome at keeping things cool!

Get tinted windows to prevent direct sunlight! :D

I guess if you can do it in Bakersfield than it should be no problem in Orange!!! Thanks! :D
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    I live in a place that gets seriously hot ..the city see's up to 107 f in the shade in summer ....i do everything that sounds wrong re heat & camera stuff & my gear is perfect.
  • AtruckerAtrucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    I do live in the desert. I leave it in the car while out and about and it's mostly well over 100 degrees when out shooting and it seems to function just fine.
    60780708.jpg
    I have abandoned my search for Truth and am now looking for a good Fantasy.