Options

BMW in the desert

johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited November 5, 2004 in Other Cool Shots
I had a great shoot this evening out in the desert near Lake Mead, east of Las Vegas. Thought you all might enjoy a pic.

bmw540i.jpg
Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    I'd try a little shadow/highlight to open the shadows at lower front of the car .
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    I like the shot.

If that is your car, you are one lucky person. BMWs drive like no other car in the world and the M5 is probably one of the greatest cars ever!

Hutch
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    Very nice. Is it all natural light, or did you add anything?
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    It's actually a 540i that I shot for work. Great drive out and back though. I'm a total BMW guy and ride an R1100S motorcycle year around and have owned a number of other BMWs so am very familiar with their obvious superiority ;)

It's predominantly natural light with a manual handheld flash up close to create the fill on the wheel and front corner.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    It's predominantly natural light with a manual handheld flash up close to create the fill on the wheel and front corner.
    I was thinking that from the splash on the ground. I really like this, it's very well done. thumb.gif Something for me to strive to.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    Personally I hate cars and car ads, but hey, I do like this shot.
    You need to come over and take one of my PT cruiser.
    Great shot in a great place. I like the lighting. The yellow line is nice with the background browns.
    Can go straight into the Beemer catalogue... if you would ask me
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    Beautiful Shot!!!
    I agree about BMW's being great cars. I am stationed in Germany and own a '91 BMW 520i and I love that car. I paid next to nothing for it and it still runs like a champ. I only wish they would make their American versions of their cars the way they are made for the european market. SOOOO much better performance wise. Oh well though, thats the price we pay for emissions laws. I will be selling the BMW when I return to Germany though to buy an Audi. BMW's are great though.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 2, 2004
    I had a great shoot this evening out in the desert near Lake Mead, east of Las Vegas. Thought you all might enjoy a pic.

bmw540i.jpg
    Oh my gosh that shot takes my breath away!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I love the car, the setting, the light....
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited November 2, 2004
    JohnnyD,

I got all hot and bothered because I thought'd be a bike shot :D
    Hook line and sinker--it's a great shot.

Baldy, (sorry for hijack) what ever became of those indoor car shots
    you were planning? Were you able to do that?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    I agree about BMW's being great cars. I am stationed in Germany and own a '91 BMW 520i and I love that car. I paid next to nothing for it and it still runs like a champ. I only wish they would make their American versions of their cars the way they are made for the european market. SOOOO much better performance wise. Oh well though, thats the price we pay for emissions laws. I will be selling the BMW when I return to Germany though to buy an Audi. BMW's are great though.
    That used to be the case, like in your 91 car, but for the most part, the BMW's we get here are are now identical or at least within 5-10 HP of the Euro version. For example, the E46 M3, we finally got the same engine that was in the car sold over there. The only difference really was the location of the cats, which can easily be swapped to make your US M3 Euro spec. Shame they didn't do that with the E36 M3 (95-99), we got a stroked 325 esentially.

Doug
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I'd try a little shadow/highlight to open the shadows at lower front of the car .
    i second that (my new favorite PS tool).

Something about that 5-series is so photogenic. I've seen a million of those eyeball shots with just the running lights, but they always make me say "ah". Nice shot Johnny!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i second that (my new favorite PS tool).

Something about that 5-series is so photogenic. I've seen a million of those eyeball shots with just the running lights, but they always make me say "ah". Nice shot Johnny!
    Kind of a cool tripod, shutter priority trick I did with the E46 M3 here at work...

dde_animation.gif
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    It's actually a 540i that I shot for work. Great drive out and back though. I'm a total BMW guy and ride an R1100S motorcycle year around and have owned a number of other BMWs so am very familiar with their obvious superiority ;)

I stand corrected. A 540i is still one of the best cars in the world.

I just traded an 03 330CI for a new 350 Z. I had some mechanical issues with the BMW, but you cannot take anything away from them for the way they drive. They are the best driving cars in the world.

Hutch