Got my first press pass

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited June 1, 2006 in Sports
Got my first press pass last night to shoot Sheffield Eagles V Hunslet Hawks i was just shooting for fun until the official photographer didn't turn up so i was a bit flustered hope i didn't let them down. What do you think
C+C welcome
equipment 10D + 300f4 or 200f2.8 iso 400- 1600 on manual

71809065-M.jpg

71820306-M.jpg

71820328-M.jpg

71820317-M.jpg

71820322-M.jpg

71809050-M.jpg

71808955-M.jpg

71794221-M.jpg

71794224-M.jpg

71794248-M.jpg

71794198-M.jpg

71794236-M.jpg

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 27, 2006
    Really nice Gary and I'm sure the Pro will not only be happy with your shots, he's likely worried about losing his job to you clap.gif

I really like the shots in the Sun. Real good color. 5 of the 1st 6 look a bit too cool (#3 look fine), making the skintones too ruddy, IMO. You may also want to consider some selective NR on some of the backgrounds that look a bit "crispy". Hey, you know me. I can't let you off scot free....Laughing.gifmwink.gif

Congrats on the Press Pass iloveyou.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Congrats Gary
    Agree with Steve's comments. Great shots and dare say the Pro may be a little nervous. Hope this leads to bigger things.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Really nice Gary and I'm sure the Pro will not only be happy with your shots, he's likely worried about losing his job to you clap.gif

I really like the shots in the Sun. Real good color. 5 of the 1st 6 look a bit too cool (#3 look fine), making the skintones too ruddy, IMO. You may also want to consider some selective NR on some of the backgrounds that look a bit "crispy". Hey, you know me. I can't let you off scot free....Laughing.gifmwink.gif

Congrats on the Press Pass iloveyou.gif

Steve

Thanks Steve
    I can count on you to tell me the truth :D
    how do i make 5 + 6 a better
    edited May 27, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    Agree with Steve's comments. Great shots and dare say the Pro may be a little nervous. Hope this leads to bigger things.
    Thanks Tassie
    No it can't, because they play on a Friday night at 8.00pm when i should be in the pub
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Super nice
    Hey Gary,
    I just keep staring at #3 and #9. I just love the wider angle on #3 to show off your lens bokeh.

As always, great faces - I like your shots - they look the way I would like to do if I had the cash.

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
    edited May 27, 2006
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Hey Gary,
    I just keep staring at #3 and #9. I just love the wider angle on #3 to show off your lens bokeh.

As always, great faces - I like your shots - they look the way I would like to do if I had the cash.

Mike

Thanks Mike #3 is with the 300F4L non IS iso 400
    # 9 is with the 200mm F2.8 iso 1600
    edited May 27, 2006
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Hey Gary,

Mike

I don't have the cash, lenses are much cheaper in the US, wish could afford a 300 f2.8
    edited May 29, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Thanks Steve
    I can count on you to tell me the truth :D
    how do i make 5 + 6 a better

Gary,
    If you shot these in RAW, it could be as easy as increasing the white balance temp. I'm not usre about the colors in the stadium. The stands look pretty bluish in those pics.

71820322-M.jpg

60973981.jpg

71809050-M.jpg

original.jpg

On both of these I brightened them 1/3-1/2 stop using a levels adj layer. I then used a warming filter (81) at about 40%. I then used Scott Kelby's "skintone adjustment". Image>Mode>CMYK>Ctrl M (to bring up a curves layer). With the eyedropper select a representative skin area where the Magenta value is quite a bit higher than the Yellow value. Select Magenta from the Curves dropdown. Depress Ctrl and shift while you have the eyedropper over the selected area and left click your mouse. This will give you a marker. Reduce the Magenta output value so that when you increase the Yellow value, it will be greater. For example, say the reading is M 45, Y 36. You'll want to reduce Magenta by about 6 and increase Yellow by 5 or 6. That way when you are done, the Yellow is a slightly greater value. Once you have decreased the Magenta value, you need to select Yellow from the dropdown and increase it accordingly. Then back to Image>Mode>RGB and you are done :D

Hope this helps some and I may have gone a little too warm with the 5 pic, but it does illustrate the difference well ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Good Job on going pro at the last minute :) Its usually really hard for people to get shots with the action coming towards them, so you should be commended on that.

The nits are I think you need a bit more shutter speed on some of those and more focal length would of helped but other that that, very nice.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited May 29, 2006
    Gary,
    If you shot these in RAW, it could be as easy as increasing the white balance temp. I'm not usre about the colors in the stadium. The stands look pretty bluish in those pics.

71820322-M.jpg

60973981.jpg

71809050-M.jpg

original.jpg

On both of these I brightened them 1/3-1/2 stop using a levels adj layer. I then used a warming filter (81) at about 40%. I then used Scott Kelby's "skintone adjustment". Image>Mode>CMYK>Ctrl M (to bring up a curves layer). With the eyedropper select a representative skin area where the Magenta value is quite a bit higher than the Yellow value. Select Magenta from the Curves dropdown. Depress Ctrl and shift while you have the eyedropper over the selected area and left click your mouse. This will give you a marker. Reduce the Magenta output value so that when you increase the Yellow value, it will be greater. For example, say the reading is M 45, Y 36. You'll want to reduce Magenta by about 6 and increase Yellow by 5 or 6. That way when you are done, the Yellow is a slightly greater value. Once you have decreased the Magenta value, you need to select Yellow from the dropdown and increase it accordingly. Then back to Image>Mode>RGB and you are done :D

Hope this helps some and I may have gone a little too warm with the 5 pic, but it does illustrate the difference well ne_nau.gif

Steve

Thank's Steve, but it has gone straight over my head, can this be done in Elements 3, over here CS costs over £500
    edited May 29, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Good Job on going pro at the last minute :) Its usually really hard for people to get shots with the action coming towards them, so you should be commended on that.

The nits are I think you need a bit more shutter speed on some of those and more focal length would of helped but other that that, very nice.

Thank's Bob
    Just wish i could afford the 300 F2.8
    edited May 29, 2006
    Laughing.gif Gary....and after getting cramps in my hands from all that typing rolleyes1.gif

I am pretty sure the CMYK skintone adjustment, and the levels correction (just not sure whether you can use an adjustment layer, or any layer for that matter ne_nau.gif ), can be done with Elements. You just have to get out of RGB and into CMYK. All the rest should work as I have outlined.

So if you are using E3, does that mean you are not shooting RAW? If this is the case, you can download Raw Shooter Essentials for free and use it to convert your RAWs then bring them into E3 for final tweaking :D It is sooooooo much easier to correct wb using just about any RAW conversion program.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 30, 2006
    Laughing.gif Gary....and after getting cramps in my hands from all that typing rolleyes1.gif

I am pretty sure the CMYK skintone adjustment, and the levels correction (just not sure whether you can use an adjustment layer, or any layer for that matter ne_nau.gif ), can be done with Elements. You just have to get out of RGB and into CMYK. All the rest should work as I have outlined.

So if you are using E3, does that mean you are not shooting RAW? If this is the case, you can download Raw Shooter Essentials for free and use it to convert your RAWs then bring them into E3 for final tweaking :D It is sooooooo much easier to correct wb using just about any RAW conversion program.

Steve

E3 will sdjustment layer but i can't find CMyk, i do shoot raw sometimes but i can never get them as good as shooting JPG, E3 will convert raw. i shoot JPG because the 10D takes so long to write to the CF card with raw
    edited May 31, 2006
    Got an email from the media guy to say he is very happy with the shots, 6 are going in the next program and could he have some for the club web site
    He also said i could come down and shoot anytime and if i wanted to get into any other
    sports in sheffield he could get me in sounds good coz where they play is one of the best athletic tracks in the UK and there is an olympic swimming and diving pool
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Got an email from the media guy to say he is very happy with the shots, 6 are going in the next program and could he have some for the club web site
    He also said i could come down and shoot anytime and if i wanted to get into any other shorts in sheffield he could get me in sounds good coz where they play is one of the best athletic tracks in the UK and there is an olympic swimming and diving pool
    thumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif

congrats gary,
    edited May 31, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    thumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif

congrats gary,

Thank's Shay
    edited May 31, 2006
    Gary,
    I echo Shay's comments. Good on you buddy! thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif

I have followed your progress for quite awhile and your results have gotten better and better. If you make enough from this type of shooting to get the 300 F2.8, your results may be so good, that your head will get so big it won't fit in the forum anymore lol3.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 31, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    ...No it can't, because they play on a Friday night at 8.00pm when i should be in the pub

These are fantastic shots. I want to say I admire your resolve to hit the
    pub but I would be torn by the opportunity...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 1, 2006
    Gary,
    I echo Shay's comments. Good on you buddy! thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif

I have followed your progress for quite awhile and your results have gotten better and better. If you make enough from this type of shooting to get the 300 F2.8, your results may be so good, that your head will get so big it won't fit in the forum anymore lol3.gif

Steve

There is not much money to be had over here for these sort of shots
    i'm looking at the Tokina 3002.8 and 4mp 1D
    edited June 1, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    These are fantastic shots. I want to say I admire your resolve to hit the
    pub but I would be torn by the opportunity...

Thank's Ian but the pub wins if i don't get paid