Lacking Local Lenses

limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited May 27, 2006 in Cameras
Hi gang! Am I ever glad the semester is over!
Anyhow, B&H was wonderful and sent me a brand new 30D which I have finally been able to fully enjoy but my main issue right now concerns lenses.

I have a wedding to shoot in June and need a nice long zoom. I was hoping Sigma's 70-200 macro would be out before then, but it does not look like that is going to happen. I had the 70-200DG and it was somewhat disappointing, and that was the case with a few of their others that I have tried. However, I don't have much $$ to throw at it right now and having a macro at that range would be extremely handy, especially since I don't want to pop for a dedicated macro right now. Plus I've heard they are putting some pretty nice glass in the macro revision.

To tide me over I was hoping to rent a canon for the events but there seems to be nowhere nearby that does that anymore. I'm in the Milwaukee WI area and with Helix gone; I really don't know where to look. If anybody has any suggestions or knows somewhere in the area by chance I'd love to hear.

My 2nd dilemma is "somewhat" easier to solve... I have this beautiful 17-40 F4L that just won't cut it, I need the 2.8 so I'm considering the Tamron 17-50 but I'm not dead set on it either. I really wish the Canon's 17-55 was not such a price jump because that it out of the picture so to speak. Anyhow I'll put the 17-40 up on the flea market as soon as I have a plan of action.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 27, 2006
    Not to get this thread off the track, but I had no idea Helix ever had a store up your way. Bummer! They were the place to rent a lens. There's a bunch of them by me.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky