Options

Canon Converters

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited November 2, 2004 in Accessories
Now I have more spare time, I would like to take wildlife shots at home. I bought a 100-400 is but have found that the subject is still a blob in the middle of the frame. The birds seem to be a little weary of things being pointed at them, so I wondered if anyone has any erxperience of the 1.4x or 2x converters and their compatability with the 100-400 lens. I know that the converters work well with prime L glass lenses but I am not in that league. I know that the auto focus may not work, but at that distance it will be set at infinity. So how does the F/ stop addition of 1 -2 stops affect the shot and does tghe camera compensate or does the operator have to dial in the compensation?

The definition in the kestral has been lost at that range
F/5.6 1/2000 sec ISO 200

TIA

Stan

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    TC's
    Stan wrote:
    Now I have more spare time, I would like to take wildlife shots at home. I bought a 100-400 is but have found that the subject is still a blob in the middle of the frame. The birds seem to be a little weary of things being pointed at them, so I wondered if anyone has any erxperience of the 1.4x or 2x converters and their compatability with the 100-400 lens. I know that the converters work well with prime L glass lenses but I am not in that league. I know that the auto focus may not work, but at that distance it will be set at infinity. So how does the F/ stop addition of 1 -2 stops affect the shot and does tghe camera compensate or does the operator have to dial in the compensation?

The camera compensates for the TC because the TC tricks the camera into thinking the aperture is 1 or 2 stops slower than it is in the lens. Thus things are automatic.

The 1.4 TC: This tele extender can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS zoom lenses.

Whether you can still auto-focus or not depends on the camera body. Some will only auto-focus at f/5.6 or less, others at f/8 or less.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    The camera compensates for the TC because the TC tricks the camera into thinking the aperture is 1 or 2 stops slower than it is in the lens. Thus things are automatic.

The 1.4 TC: This tele extender can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS zoom lenses.

Whether you can still auto-focus or not depends on the camera body. Some will only auto-focus at f/5.6 or less, others at f/8 or less.
    From what I've read the 1.4x doesn't degrade sharpness to any great degree. My shots with the 100-400 and the 1.4 look very sharp. I've read that the 2x degrades sharpness some, but in my limited use it is not terribly evident.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2004
    Thank you for the replies.

I wondered if it was worth buying the 1.4 or 2x converter for the 100-400 but if the increase is only from 400 to 560 with the 1.4...?

However as a wish list..., I think Andy said a lens is for life, a camera will go in the bottom drawer (or words to the effect) so for the time the 1.4 is probably the way to go until I can afford the price of a small car for a prime lens rolleyes1.gif dreaming
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Thank you for the replies.

I wondered if it was worth buying the 1.4 or 2x converter for the 100-400 but if the increase is only from 400 to 560 with the 1.4...?

However as a wish list..., I think Andy said a lens is for life, a camera will go in the bottom drawer (or words to the effect) so for the time the 1.4 is probably the way to go until I can afford the price of a small car for a prime lens rolleyes1.gif dreaming

i use the 1.4x. no degradation that i can see... though my f/2.8 becomes f/4 :) i use the conv with my 70-200L at yankee stadium during game 7 the other day...

you won't be disappointed :D
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i use the 1.4x. no degradation that i can see... though my f/2.8 becomes f/4 :) i use the conv with my 70-200L at yankee stadium during game 7 the other day...

And I thought 1.4 meant f/ stop to you, :D I love your street photography #

thanks Andy
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2004
    andy wrote:

This is all your fault, Andy, you posted a thread to photomigration (who don't have a link to dgrin) and now I want to do what they do with VERY short DOF but I don't think that 1) I'm that good and 2) can afford it. I like that they put their Lens set, ISO, F/, Shutter speed and Flash on the picture
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    I think your biggest help will be to learn to use a blind.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2004
    ysr612 wrote:
    I think your biggest help will be to learn to use a blind.

Are you teaching?
    What is it?
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    it is like a tent you get in it and wait for your subject to come near you. To shoot wildlife well takes a lot of time and patience (more then I have). I have not done it but I used to have friends that did.

I was not trying to be flip.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2004
    I thought you meant some post processing gizmo :D None taken.

I can hide from the birds, but then I shoot them... pigeons mainly. If you walk through a wood, the pigeons fly up, and it disturbs all the other wild life. What I want is a window mounted tripod set up, to shoot from a car, so as not to disturb the subject too much
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    So how does the F/ stop addition of 1 -2 stops affect the shot and does tghe camera compensate or does the operator have to dial in the compensation?

Stan
    There is less light hitting the metering so that part of the conpensation is automated by physics, same as with extension tubes.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph