Lost Thread! (yucky Shadows!!)

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited May 29, 2006 in Finishing School
My PS skills are notoriously deficient and I've been avoiding the issue for a long time. This weekend, however, I'm in a situation that I can't seem to "quick-fix" and need your help. Recently someone (I thought it was Andy) posted a thread with my specific problem. I thought I book-marked it but have searched and searched and can't find it. It was a mini-tutorial to help a member with a problem. The shot was of a large group of high school girl athletes and the problem was that there were weird gray colors in the shadows, specifically the leg area and some in the hair. Can anyone remember where this is at??? It was very detailed about how to go about fixing this. I am working up the shots below for my brother of his 3 granddaughters. I am having some weird looking shadows, mostly on the forehead of the middle child. I have posted some crops to show. I shot this in RAW and the shadows show in the original image. I have other shots the same day of her and her grandmother and both have similar skin tones and I have similar problems for both. They both have a gray undertone with dark skin as opposed to my other niece (on the left) who has warmer, ruddier tones. It was overcast and no flash, so it wasn't the best situation. I don't know if that was the cause of the problem or if I had an improper setting on the camera??? :dunno It may be worse in this shot from the reflection (green) from the leaves over-head. I have not worked with the shadow/highlight tool and (believe it or not) really haven't worked with much in the way of masks. I am just beginning to work in LAB....only on chapter 1!!! If someone can direct me to the thread I'd be most appreciative and any comments as to why this happens would also be appreciated. I have seen this recently in another post and the "why" part was never really answered.
Thanks for your help!

72051440-L.jpg

Even a diffusing plug-in did not help.
72051188-L.jpg

super crop
72050992-L.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2006
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    edited May 28, 2006
    Thanks for responding so quickly, Andy. This is a really good thread but not the one I was thinking of. But I have read it, and like all the other threads I read, I have benefited from reading it!!! I'm still looking........It was a thread that actually showed step by step fixing a shot. Oh well....I may have to zip this one off to my sister-in-law to fix. She's much better at PS than me, and works for a printing company!!! Thanks again. Oh, by the way, the Canon 580EX is in my shopping cart at B&H....:D
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 28, 2006
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited May 29, 2006
    That's the one!!!!
    Thanks David, that's the thread I've been looking for....not only are my PS skills questionable, but I guess I fail at "searching" as well! :uhoh I didn't remember it being a LAB thread. That's even better since I'm just getting started in LAB. Thanks again! thumb.gifclap.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 29, 2006
    If you're messing around in LAB, you're way ahead of me. LAB, it's what's for dinner.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited May 29, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    If you're messing around in LAB, you're way ahead of me.

Not really, David....I'm only on Chapter 1 and I'll probably be there for a while trying to absorb it all!!!

That's hillarious!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    S-
    I am signing up at a community college to help resolve my PS deficiency. It is a distant ed class so you work at home and email in the homework. The professor has a class (optional) once a week for those that prefer a mnao-y-mano discussion. Just a thought.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited May 29, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    S-
    I am signing up at a community college to help resolve my PS deficiency. It is a distant ed class so you work at home and email in the homework. The professor has a class (optional) once a week for those that prefer a mnao-y-mano discussion. Just a thought.

Hi Gary...sounds like a good idea. I was just thinking about that possibility last night. It's slow going learning on your own with no one there for immediate answers. Sometimes my understanding of what is being said (in a book) fails me. Good advice and quick responses abound on this site, but I don't always know the right questions to ask! Learning PS is slow-going and it's impossible to learn it all. I just want a good basic knowledge so I can get on to other more important things, like getting the shots! :D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops