I have a son named Matt

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited June 2, 2006 in People
My daughters Heather and Lauren and Son Andrew have had their pics numerous times on this forum and many others. My son Matt doesnt like me to take his picture....
It hasnt been easy raising Matt, actually its been quite difficult......
When Matt was born, i had all the hopes and dreams all parents have.... Going to college, highest grades, good friends; but those dreams have changed..............I now hope that Matt finds happiness and develops a good sense of morals and values............
Cant even begin to tell how many "not good days" he's had since he was very young. School is not his thing, not sure what is actually....
I havent had has many of those opportunities dads like to have celebrating their son's achievement.....been to busy trying to keep Matt on the "right side" of things.

But he did it!!! As part of "our agreement" i wanted matt to participate in a sheriff's cadet program. My thinking was it would help him build character and appreciate what law officers do.... he didnt want any part of this!
But he did it!!! He actually finished the 5 month program and graduated as a sheriff's cadet!! So now I can celebrate!!!! I BROUGHT MY 20d BUT FORGOT THE RECHARGED BATTERY!
I had my R1 in the car but it isnt fast enough in low light - but at least i got something to have....
Some wil look at this pic and think - not much to look at. I look at his pic and see 17 years of struggling turned out good. I think Matt is going to be ok......

72095413-M.jpg

troy

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Congratulations, Troy. And Matt of course!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 29, 2006
    troy-

congrats to you for your perserverence and love-

and congrats to matt for graduating-

best of luck in the future-

george
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Matt is a lucky young man to have you for a father. Congratulations to you both!! And thank you for sharing Matt's story. It is an inspiration for parents everywhere.

Virginia

Email
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Congratulations to you and Matt, Troy! A good day for both of you!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Congratulations to Matt and to Troy for being by his side. As a parent, I know this is a very special shot and it doesn't matter what equipment was used. Thanks for sharing, Troy. He looks like a neat young man. thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    congrats Matt and Troy great
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Troy,
    That is awesome! I have a 14 yr old that has always been... a challenge. Your story gives me hope.

When I got divorced 13 years ago I gave all the pics in the photo album of my ex husband to my ex. Which consitiuted every picture except maybe 3. There was no photographic evidence of my existence for the previous 5 years. Why; because, I hate having my picture taken! I hate it with a passion! But I learned then it's better to have imperfect pictures than no pictures at all.

Congratulations, I am certain that pic will mean a great deal to you thru the years.
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Thanks for sharing that story, and kudos to you for your perseverence in your sons upbringing. I fear many parents would have simply given up, faced with the same difficulties. Personally, I know many parents have simply given up. Your son looks proud of his accomplishment, and you both deserve applause for the moment.

Best regards,

Wiz
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Congrats Troy on getting him on the right path. Shame Shame Shame (add more gomer pyle shames) for not having a charged battery :)

He looks very official in that uniform
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    What a great story. Very moving, Troy.

Congratulations to you and to Matt. I can feel your pride from here.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Thx for sharing Troy.

I am sure that there will be lots of times in his life that he will make you proud.

I gave my parents fits, I was a violent child with pour judgment and a habit of picking friends pourly as well. I gave my parents no relief.

After getting married I improved, and I quit drinking I think I got myslef together.

I am sure that he will find his path and things will get better.

He is lucky to have parents that care.

Brian
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    What a great story. Very moving, Troy.

Congratulations to you and to Matt. I can feel your pride from here.

thanx Sid,
    He's come a long way....... As a parent I have to remember that sometimes our "dreams" are better off be left as "our" dreams and let the kids make their own. Then Our job becomes how to best direct them.......

troy
  • MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    Troy... What an amazing story! I look at this picture and I instantly saw pride in your sons face. Whether he shared it or not, it is his non-verbal emotion that I think you captured, and to me that showed pride! No matter if the picture is taken with the perfect camera, with the perfect light, blah blah blah, it is perfect because it shows his accomplishment and it will always be a reminder of what he did for you and in turn did for himself.

Congratulations!
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com
    www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    MyView wrote:
    Troy... What an amazing story! I look at this picture and I instantly saw pride in your sons face. Whether he shared it or not, it is his non-verbal emotion that I think you captured, and to me that showed pride! No matter if the picture is taken with the perfect camera, with the perfect light, blah blah blah, it is perfect because it shows his accomplishment and it will always be a reminder of what he did for you and in turn did for himself.

Congratulations!

Thanx Lissa!! Your words are very encouraging for the future...

thanx again!

troy