Options

Easy Slideshow/Movie Program?

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited May 30, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I'm looking for an basic program that will take a slug of pictures, throw them into a movie format with delay, and add some music. Any suggestions?

Currently, I throw all the images into iPhoto, export them as a Quicktime Movie, then pull all the photos back out. The PDF Slideshow in Photoshop is okay but a little boring!

Because my Mac is pretty old, iMovie is just too much and takes too long.

Thanks!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    well, until your second paragraph I would have said iPhoto. Worked fine for me, the last one I did. What version of iPhoto do you have?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    well, until your second paragraph I would have said iPhoto. Worked fine for me, the last one I did. What version of iPhoto do you have?

Great article! iPhoto version is 4.0.3. Still haven't updated!

The only thing that keeps me from using iPhoto is having to import all of the pictures. Also, it pulls the music from iTunes which causes all kinds of AAC problems when played on another computer. umph.gif

I like the iDVD idea you mentioned. (If I only had a DVD Burner!):D
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2006
    [quote=THE TOUCH... having to import all of the pictures. [/quote]

that's the main reason why I upgraded the iLife apps; the latest version will "import" into it's library without moving the actual files. I was able to have it just "import" the directories I needed, build the slideshows then empty the iPhoto library without really mucking with my photos at all.
    Also, it pulls the music from iTunes which causes all kinds of AAC problems when played on another computer. umph.gif

I'm not sure what's happening to you here. iPhoto "sees" the music that's in the iTunes library, sure, but I made sure I used non-protected and royalty-free music for the slideshows I was building (the music ends up inside the qt movies). All my music's still happy in iTunes and on my iPod, and no problems on any other computer.

Anyway, I'm sure there are other slideshow apps on the Mac, I just don't know of 'em. Perhaps others here have alternative solutions for you
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I'm looking for an basic program that will take a slug of pictures, throw them into a movie format with delay, and add some music. Any suggestions?

Currently, I throw all the images into iPhoto, export them as a Quicktime Movie, then pull all the photos back out. The PDF Slideshow in Photoshop is okay but a little boring!

Because my Mac is pretty old, iMovie is just too much and takes too long.

Thanks!

Quick...get to your nearest PC and use XP's free MovieMaker...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Great article! iPhoto version is 4.0.3. Still haven't updated!

The only thing that keeps me from using iPhoto is having to import all of the pictures. Also, it pulls the music from iTunes which causes all kinds of AAC problems when played on another computer. umph.gif

I like the iDVD idea you mentioned. (If I only had a DVD Burner!):D

Not sure how you're getting the AAC errors, Like Steve said, make a quicktime movie, self-contained goodness.

I haven't tried it, but you may want to check this one out.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2006
    STEVENV wrote:
    that's the main reason why I upgraded the iLife apps; the latest version will "import" into it's library without moving the actual files.

Sounds like I need to upgrade - that would make it easier.
    STEVENV wrote:
    I'm not sure what's happening to you here. iPhoto "sees" the music that's in the iTunes library, sure, but I made sure I used non-protected and royalty-free music

All my music is bought from iTunes so it's AAC protected. I exported a Quicktime Movie, gave it to a Costumer, and it made them download iTunes then told them they would have to authorize the music - only negative about iTunes - the copyright security is too good! I think I can burn the song/s as an audio CD then import it back into iTunes and it will work...I think. But that's a pain.
    PHOTODOUG wrote:
    Quick...get to your nearest PC and use XP's free MovieMaker...

NEVER!!! HAHA rolleyes1.gif
    DAVIDTO wrote:
    I haven't tried it, but you may want to check this one out.

Thanks for the link. From the description, I think it's just a slideshow viewer - views movies but doesn't make them.

Thanks guys! Sounds like the iPhoto upgrade will help me out.

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    All my music is bought from iTunes so it's AAC protected.
    Well then, from a strictly leagal standpoint you probably souldn't be including it in a project that you're selling. If you google for Royalty Free Music there's a lot to be found and used without entanglements.
    [end of sermon]
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Personally I have not seen a better slide show maker than ProShow Gold or Producer. For ease of use and the ability to save as just about any format works well for me.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    I also like Photodex Pro Show Gold. Free trial download. Just finished a 6th grade graduation slide show. Was very easy to work with and had no problems. Then I read the directions in the book and found out what it is capable of! There are some sample shows here: http://www.photodex.com/sharing/spotlight/
    Have Fun!
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:

NEVER!!! HAHA rolleyes1.gif

c'mon, we got a clock, wizards and things...but we can't speak japanese.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    c'mon, we got a clock, wizards and things...but we can't speak japanese.

uh...bonjourno? Hello?... rolleyes1.gif

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Well then, from a strictly leagal standpoint you probably souldn't be including it in a project that you're selling. If you google for Royalty Free Music there's a lot to be found and used without entanglements.
    [end of sermon]

Awesome - I never thought of that!

Thanks Steven!

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2006
    mushy wrote:
    Personally I have not seen a better slide show maker than ProShow Gold or Producer. For ease of use and the ability to save as just about any format works well for me.
    I also like Photodex Pro Show Gold. Free trial download. Just finished a 6th grade graduation slide show. Was very easy to work with and had no problems. Then I read the directions in the book and found out what it is capable of! There are some sample shows here: http://www.photodex.com/sharing/spotlight/ Have Fun!

Thank you guys! I'll give it a shot!

- Kevin
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    Adobe's lightroom has a slideshow function that uses music. Maybe give that a look. (It is free after all mwink.gif)
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/