Image processing time out of control

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited May 29, 2006 in SmugMug Support
In the past, getting images uploaded and processed to the point where they would display in a gallary was very short, on the order of seconds (20 or 30 - real cool :clap)

Today, I have uploaded four or five images to a gallary

http://scottquier.smugmug.com/gallery/1504802/1/72169280

and after more than 30 minutes, only two of them are showing up (the balance are still showing the "Processing Image" thumbnail.

I understand that everyone needs to stand in line and wait their turn. But, 30 minutes is getting a little out of control, especially as one of the reasons I selected smugmug was for the quick response time. Are you just growing at a pace faster than you can support? Or what?

TIA for your quick response

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 29, 2006
    In the past, getting images uploaded and processed to the point where they would display in a gallary was very short, on the order of seconds (20 or 30 - real cool clap.gif)

and after more than 30 minutes, only two of them are showing up (the balance are still showing the "Processing Image" thumbnail.

I understand that everyone needs to stand in line and wait their turn. But, 30 minutes is getting a little out of control, especially as one of the reasons I selected smugmug was for the quick response time. Are you just growing at a pace faster than you can support? Or what?

We had a specific problem at our datacenter this morning. This isn't normal and we're working hard on a fix.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    In the past, getting images uploaded and processed to the point where they would display in a gallary was very short, on the order of seconds (20 or 30 - real cool clap.gif)

I feel your pain! I'm having a bad day too! Not happy at all, as you will see if you read my post. Lets hope they fix it soon!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    I'm having the same problem except that now going to my smugmug site freezes Internet Explorer before I can even check to see if the downloads have been completed. :uhoh Glad to know that the problem isn't on my end.

Virginia

Email
  • Kyle JonesKyle Jones Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 29, 2006
    image processing taking a while today
    I uploaded an image earlier today and I'm still seeing "Processing image" as the thumbnail. It's been at least 20 minutes. How long does the Smugmug team consider acceptable for an image to become available? Gallery -> http://kylejones.smugmug.com/gallery/1423475/6
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 29, 2006
    Kyle Jones wrote:
    I uploaded an image earlier today and I'm still seeing "Processing image" as the thumbnail. It's been at least 20 minutes. How long does the Smugmug team consider acceptable for an image to become available? Gallery -> http://kylejones.smugmug.com/gallery/1423475/6

Kyle,

Check out Sheaf's response in this thread.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    d'oh, i kept deleting and uploading the same images over and over again thinking I was doing something wrong.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • marieboyermarieboyer Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Me too! This is my third time loading a new gallery. So, when the fix comes, will I need to reload this gallery again or will "processing image" become the actual image? Just curious. Thanks.
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    d'oh, i kept deleting and uploading the same images over and over again thinking I was doing something wrong.
    edited May 29, 2006
    marieboyer wrote:
    Me too! This is my third time loading a new gallery. So, when the fix comes, will I need to reload this gallery again or will "processing image" become the actual image? Just curious. Thanks.

The images should eventually process, so you won't need to upload them again.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited May 29, 2006
    Wiw, thanks for the quick reply. Okay, I will leave it alone until morning! Smugmug is otherwise perfect; it deserves to have a few snagmags.
    Sheaf wrote:
    The images should eventually process, so you won't need to upload them again.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    marieboyer wrote:
    it deserves to have a few snagmags.

rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    marieboyer wrote:
    Wiw, thanks for the quick reply. Okay, I will leave it alone until morning! Smugmug is otherwise perfect; it deserves to have a few snagmags.

You're right a few snagmags are to be expected, I just wish we would have been warned ahead of time...like when the situation became apparent. I guess I can play with PS for awhile, and see if I can learn something new.......
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited May 29, 2006
    I should make something clear right now. I expect most, if not all, of the photos to be processed as normal, just hours behind schedule. However, I would advise against deleting them from your hard drive before you make sure we have them processed. umph.gif
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited May 29, 2006
    Mine are up!!! Thanks.
    Sheaf wrote:
    I should make something clear right now. I expect most, if not all, of the photos to be processed as normal, just hours behind schedule. However, I would advise against deleting them from your hard drive before you make sure we have them processed. umph.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:

I advise NEVER deleting them from your own system, even though SmugMug keeps 4 copies of your priceless photos in 3 states.

Belt+suspenders+suspenders+suspenders+suspenders deal.gif
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    All of mine seem to be uploading and processing fine, just slower than normal.

I have about 25 or so more to upload, would it be wise to just hold off so the system can catch up with itself or should we keep uploading?
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM