Nothing changed here...

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited May 31, 2006 in SmugMug Support
You know when I first tried SmugMug I used the universal loader, without ANY problem. Now it's nothing but. I know you've heard it before, but I'll feel better when you hear it again:D .

I just tried loading some pics, via the universal drag and drop method, and 75 pics in (2-3mb each) it timed out. Some message similar to this: (java.connection.timeout.connection lost.) is what I got.

When I first started I could upload all night, while I slept, now about 2-3 hours is it, and only 75 pics, with highspeed internet. :scratch

Something has changed, and it wasn't my system, nor do I believe it was everyone else's system, so I doubt it has anything to do with our browsers, our servers, our firewalls, our anti-virus systems.

I know SmugMug is working on their top secret fix to this problem, but as a pro-account customer, who is giving a percentage of my sales to SmugMug, and paying for the hosting as well, I'm not very happy right now:cry . If I can't get the pic's loaded I lose money, then SmugMug loses money, then I lose customers, then SmugMug loses customers.

I would hope that every effort is being made to correct this problem. You would think that SmugMug would have it's own loader, or make darn sure the one they offer lets account holders get their pic's on line, in a timely fashion. The potential customers at the race I covered yesterday are expecting pic's by tomorrow at the latest. I'm not too sure it's going to happen at this rate....it's terribly slow going. Not exactly how I planned to spend my holiday...baby sitting an uplaoder. Oh well what choice to I have:dunno .

I feel better.......but only a little a bit:D .
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 29, 2006
    I'm sorry, I really am. You are correct though, we are working very hard on the problem and it's our top priority.

We're a bit mystified as to what the problem is and how it occurred, since we made no changes to the uploader itself.

Have you tried any of the other uploaders or doing it in slightly smaller batches?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    I'm sorry, I really am. You are correct though, we are working very hard on the problem and it's our top priority.

We're a bit mystified as to what the problem is and how it occurred, since we made no changes to the uploader itself.

Have you tried any of the other uploaders or doing it in slightly smaller batches?

Wow, it failed again. This is what the message in the box said this time, it's different from the last failure: (java.nex.socketexception:software caused connection abort. socket wire error). I have no clue what that means..ne_nau.gif

I tried to look at my gallery to see what was what, and it wouldn't open. It's just thinking. Before I could see 75 pics...now I can see 6! Yippie!! The rest of the boxes are black holes!!headscratch.gif

There are a few boxes that show the image processing, but I doubt it, I really doubt it.

I guess I will go try a different provider...I mean uploader.
    edited May 29, 2006
    I tired logging out and looking at the gallery that I have been laboring with ( http://leiningerphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/1504177 ) Try taking a look at it, see if you see anything. It just keeps "thinking" on my PC.headscratch.gif
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 29, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I tired logging out and looking at the gallery that I have been laboring with ( http://leiningerphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/1504177 ) Try taking a look at it, see if you see anything. It just keeps "thinking" on my PC.headscratch.gif

We are having issues at our datacenter this morning. Please be patient.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited May 29, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    We are having issues at our datacenter this morning. Please be patient.

I'm trying...believe me. But yesterday was the first round of a 10-round motocross series, with the biggest rider turn out in years. And now I can't get my pic's up. Worse yet when you go to my Smug Galleries you can't see them either, not all of them anyway. You go from one page to the next and it re-directs you to the SmugMug free trial site...so I give up. I'm walking away, taking a deep deep breath.......
  • joffunjoffun Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I'm trying...believe me. But yesterday was the first round of a 10-round motocross series, with the biggest rider turn out in years. And now I can't get my pic's up. Worse yet when you go to my Smug Galleries you can't see them either, not all of them anyway. You go from one page to the next and it re-directs you to the SmugMug free trial site...so I give up. I'm walking away, taking a deep deep breath.......

Same problem here & has beeen since Friday night (UK time). Uploads get aborted & keep getting redirected to Smugmug splash page when browsing. Also - smugmug (mine & others sites) seems very slow.

I thought there might be more comments on dgrin about it, as I guess I'm not alone on this :):
    edited May 29, 2006
    joffun wrote:
    Same problem here & has beeen since Friday night (UK time). Uploads get aborted & keep getting redirected to Smugmug splash page when browsing. Also - smugmug (mine & others sites) seems very slow.

I thought there might be more comments on dgrin about it, as I guess I'm not alone on this :):

They said they thought it was fixed on another thread...but it ain't! My galleries are still acting up, especially the one I was trying to load today. My iternet connection freezes up when I try to open that gallery.

I guess I need to go for yet another walk.....:tiptoe
  • cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Well, This is the first time it happened to me. I just uploaded some images got an error then when I went to see which images were missing the browser hung and had to be restarted. Once I get to my site I still can't browse more than a page or two before browser locks up again. :bash
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
    edited May 29, 2006
    5:38pm (central) I am giving the universal uploader another shot, so I guess we'll see how long it takes to boot me off.....actually I hope it doesn't.

I was able to get into my galleries without getting redirceted to the SmugMug free trial page....so that's a plus.

I know, I know stuff happens. I read in another post how it would be nice to be in the know when this stuff happens. Some sort of alert would be nice. E-mail clients? Have an error page we can check? There has to be a better way than posting in here and waiting for a reply...even if said reply is quick.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    To paraphrase Kermit:

It's not easy reading green.

And more to the point: why?
    Jeffro wrote:
    5:38pm (central) I am giving the universal uploader another shot, so I guess we'll see how long it takes to boot me off.....actually I hope it doesn't.

I was able to get into my galleries without getting redirceted to the SmugMug free trial page....so that's a plus.

I know, I know stuff happens. I read in another post how it would be nice to be in the know when this stuff happens. Some sort of alert would be nice. E-mail clients? Have an error page we can check? There has to be a better way than posting in here and waiting for a reply...even if said reply is quick.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited May 29, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    To paraphrase Kermit:

It's not easy reading green.

And more to the point: why?

Ask Smuggy! :D
    edited May 30, 2006
    same old, same old....
    New day, same problem....universal loader wont load. It stopped after 52 pic's this morning. Any advise?ne_nau.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    New day, same problem....universal loader wont load. It stopped after 52 pic's this morning. Any advise?ne_nau.gif
    Why don't you use another uploader for now? I'm sure the univ uploader will be back to normal soon.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    I'm using the Sendtosmugmug utility & while the massive upload is taking forever (started late Monday morning & still grinding away), it is still making progress.
    edited May 30, 2006
    Update??
    I'm using the Sendtosmugmug utility & while the massive upload is taking forever (started late Monday morning & still grinding away), it is still making progress.

Ok I tried the Internet Explorer up loader, and it doesn't appear to be working either. Here is waht the gallery looks like that I just finished attempting to upload to...

Attachment not found.

I have no idea what is causing this. Still a back log of pictures perhaps?ne_nau.gif

I'm getting complaint e-mails from potential customers as well, galleries not loading, causing their system to lock up. Same thing I was getting yesterday.

Any progress on the Universal Loader? Any idea when things will be back to normal?

I noticed the gradiant theme is now being used with the uploader page, is there any chance that has anything to do with some of the problems? I know it's a stretch, but I'm getting frustrated.
    edited May 31, 2006
    Happy-happy-joy-joy!
    Well maybe the crisis is overclap.gif ! I ran the universal uploader last night....while I slept, and it worked!:D I'm going to continue with it today.

Even with all the trouble I had getting my pic's on-line, I do want to thank everyone at SmugMug for working hard to solve the problem, and for putting up with all of us nervous, complaining, and frustrated customers!thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Well maybe the crisis is overclap.gif ! I ran the universal uploader last night....while I slept, and it worked!:D I'm going to continue with it today.

Even with all the trouble I had getting my pic's on-line, I do want to thank everyone at SmugMug for working hard to solve the problem, and for putting up with all of us nervous, complaining, and frustrated customers!thumb.gif
    Hi Jeffro, thanks for posting!
    Everyone is working hard at this so we appreciate your words of encouragement.

Cheers!
    edited May 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Jeffro, thanks for posting!
    Everyone is working hard at this so we appreciate your words of encouragement.

Cheers!

I just finished another gallery upload...via the universal uploader...without any problems what so ever!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Andy....I figure if one takes the time to complain he too must take the time to compliment, when it's needed as well.
    edited May 31, 2006
    I had a few more problems with the Universal Loader (UL) today..:cry . Lost connection, system error, timed out...whatever. I went into my add/remove programs and removed the Java application. Then I tried the Universal Loader again, loading the Java application again. I had no problems with the first load. It seemed to be at the correct speed, and had no errors listed. All the photo's were there too!clap.gif

I'm not sure it's gonna stay that way, but so far, so good. If you're still having trouble with the UL I would try removing the Java application you have just like I did.....it sure can't hurt.

Good luck!