PS CS2 colorspace issue

The MookinatorThe Mookinator Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2006 in Finishing School
after returning home this memorial day weekend, i discovered that PhotoShop CS2 decided that it wasn't going to render the images from my Digital Rebel XT properly anymore. (or any of the pictures i've taken in the past month or so) when i open the picture in a image viewer (such as MS picture viewer, or firefox) it looks fine. but when i open it in CS2 it's displayed in a strange 256color mode. editing the photo doesn't change this display property, but once it's saved, the above mentioned image viewers display the EDITED image normally. ideas on where to start? i've tested my camera and setting the colorspace to either sRGB or AdobeRGB doesn't fix the problem, nor did uninstalling and reinstalling PS CS2. thank you.

~Mike

EDIT: this is also happening with my Canon A510 digicam. although with the digicam the results are mixed, some of the pictures are posterized while some are normal. as above, once edited and saved, the pictures are normal.

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    after returning home this memorial day weekend, i discovered that PhotoShop CS2 decided that it wasn't going to render the images from my Digital Rebel XT properly anymore. (or any of the pictures i've taken in the past month or so) when i open the picture in a image viewer (such as MS picture viewer, or firefox) it looks fine. but when i open it in CS2 it's displayed in a strange 256color mode. editing the photo doesn't change this display property, but once it's saved, the above mentioned image viewers display the EDITED image normally. ideas on where to start? i've tested my camera and setting the colorspace to either sRGB or AdobeRGB doesn't fix the problem, nor did uninstalling and reinstalling PS CS2. thank you.

~Mike

Hello Mike, welcome to dgrin!
    No ideas right now, but I'll let you know if anything comes to mind. Hopefully one of the Canon/PSCS2 folks will chime in with an answer!
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 31, 2006
    Mike,

I also welcome you to Dgrin wave.gif

Go into CS2 and Click on Edit then Color Settings. Working Spaces for RGB should be set to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". Color Management for RGB should be set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles". Conversion Options Engine "Adobe ACE", Intent "Relative Colorimetric". Click on the Advanced button. Make sure the "Desaturate Monitor Colors by" box is NOT selected and "Blend RGB Colors using Gamma" is set to 1.00

This should get your color spaces with CS2 squared away. If there is still a problem, you'll want to make sure you are not saving in Adobe RGB. This can happen easily if you are converting RAWs and select the wrong color space in Adobe Camera RAW.

Let us know if this helps :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • The MookinatorThe Mookinator Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2006
    sadly, that doesn't seem to fix it. here's an example of what i'm talking about, plus what my colorspace settings are currently. (warning 680K pic)
    http://halfahemi.com/uploads/adobeproblems.jpg

~Mike
  • Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Hi Mike

I took a look at your settings and compared them with mine. While I don't know whether it'll make a difference, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try mine out and see whether that makes a difference. I've never had a problem with this set up.

http://www.ospreyphotography.com/gallery/cpg135/albums/userpics/10001/cs2colorsettings.jpg

Cheers, Helen
    www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.