Help! Annoying Photoshop problem -- Mac

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited June 1, 2006 in Finishing School
OK, I forget why, exactly, but I had to reinstall my system. Since it was an "older" system, it created a "previous system folder" for me. Pretty much everything worked fine, with just a few visits to the old system folder for a few preferences...

But photoshop has lost the connection to -- if I double click on an icon, photoshop will open, but it will NOT open the file.

I have to go to photoshop, file, open. This, as you can imagine, is one big pain and time waster.

I checked and found one recommended file to drag from the old system and put in the new system folder, restarted my machine... but it's still not opening double clicked files -- and if I drag the file's icon to the photoshop program icon in my "dock" it won't open the file either.

Anyone know what file I'm missing and need to put in the new system file?

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    I think all you need to do is choose a file, get info, change open with to PS and choose change all. You would need to do this for jpg, tiff, cr2 files etc. Then you could just double click and they will open in PS.

Do they open in preview now?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    3 things to try:

1) repair your disk directory with Disk Utility on your install disk. Or better yet, run Disk Warrior.

2) reinstall PS

3) I forget the filename I need to tell you for this one, so I'll get back to you.

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited May 31, 2006
    Found it. Try moving or deleting the file com.apple.LaunchServices.plist from your library.

User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist

This will force your Mac to forget what opens what. There are utilities to work with this, like Default Apps. But I would just drag it out and see what happens. You can always drag it back in.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Huh?

Waitadamnminute.

"Macs just work." That's what I was told. That's why I bought one.

What's all this User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist business? umph.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited May 31, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Huh?

Waitadamnminute.

"Macs just work." That's what I was told. That's why I bought one.

What's all this User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist business? umph.gif

Sid, have you had a problem yet? No? Well, then...

So, to take you seriously for a minute and answer your question: occasionally preference files can become corrupted. You're best off just deleting them. I'm not sure if that's the problem here, that's why it's #3 on the list, but any file ending in .plist is a preference file. This one controls your prefs for what application opens a certain file type. If it's corrupted, it can cause problems such as this.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    OK, I'll try that...
    I've already done disk utility, repair permissions, yada, yada, yada. Everything works fine EXCEPT my Adobe products! Go figure.

Yes the files will open in Preview -- but only if I drag them to the preview icon... but at least they open.

I didn't drag that "launch" thingie... I'll try that.

Wow, I didn't expect so many answers so quickly. Thanks everyone.

I knew OS9 a lot better, and could usually trouble shoot anything. But OSX is a bit daunting...:):
    edited May 31, 2006
    But did you reinstall PS?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid, have you had a problem yet? No? Well, then...

So, to take you seriously for a minute and answer your question: occasionally preference files can become corrupted. You're best off just deleting them. I'm not sure if that's the problem here, that's why it's #3 on the list, but any file ending in .plist is a preference file. This one controls your prefs for what application opens a certain file type. If it's corrupted, it can cause problems such as this.

Oh, I see. It only counts if I have a problem, eh? lol3.gif

Naw, just reinforcing my point: all computers have issues, doesn't matter who makes them. No Kool-Aid here. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited May 31, 2006
    No
    DavidTO wrote:
    But did you reinstall PS?

I actually own a legal copy -- but do you think I can find the original disk?
    edited May 31, 2006
    I could download a demo
    Dee wrote:
    I actually own a legal copy -- but do you think I can find the original disk?

and install it on the desktop -- 30 day demo.

Would that fix the problem? Then trash the demo?

I know this is just a silly little file somewhere..... as I said, everything else works except the adobe products, photoshop and illustrator.
    edited May 31, 2006
    OK it's fixed...
    Dee wrote:
    and install it on the desktop -- 30 day demo.

Would that fix the problem? Then trash the demo?

I know this is just a silly little file somewhere..... as I said, everything else works except the adobe products, photoshop and illustrator.

I installed the demo on my desktop -- and now dragging the icon works... a normal jpg opens in preview, which is fine. Half the time I don't want to open photoshop.

I'd still love to know what that silly file is though! :):
    edited May 31, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I installed the demo on my desktop -- and now dragging the icon works... a normal jpg opens in preview, which is fine. Half the time I don't want to open photoshop.

I'd still love to know what that silly file is though! :):
    WIll that help reset your version of PS? What happens when the trial period is over?
    Sid.
    edited May 31, 2006
    It doesn't "de-install"
    wxwax wrote:
    WIll that help reset your version of PS? What happens when the trial period is over?

I think Windows has an uninstall feature? I'm not sure if Mac OSX has that or not. If I just drag the demo off my hard drive (it's on the desktop) and trash it, that will not take out all the little bits of files it puts in the system, my user folder, or user library folder... so it should be fine now.

Anyone know for sure?
    edited June 1, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    No Kool-Aid here. naughty.gif

Give it time.

Dee was mucking about with her install, doing things that are not standard. PEBCAK. :D

Dee, glad you got it sorted out.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 1, 2006
    Oh dear...
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh, I see. It only counts if I have a problem, eh? lol3.gif

Naw, just reinforcing my point: all computers have issues, doesn't matter who makes them. No Kool-Aid here. naughty.gif

Are you a graphic designer with a gazillion fonts open, a gazillion shapes and patterns loaded into photoshop? Do you have mail, chat, two browsers, drop zip, iView Multimedia and suitcase -- all open at the same time?????

If not, relax! Keep a limited amount of fonts installed and that takes care of most of your problems, according to the IT guy at a design studio.

And of course any computer can have a problem, hard drives fail, motherboards pass on, one too many power outages will wreck something...

But I do have to say, despite my grumbling at UNIX in OSX (just because I can't muck about as easily) it is more stable. And I get to play with GIMP and other cool stuff.

I hope you'll enjoy your Mac. Any change takes some getting used to, so hang in there.

If you wind up hating your Mac, I'm sure there are people here in the forum who'd be happy to take it off your hands :):
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    If I'm reading this thread right, the problem and solution are covered in this post, or the tech note referenced in the post. It's one of the top issues listed when you first go to the Photoshop user forum page.
    edited June 1, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I hope you'll enjoy your Mac. Any change takes some getting used to, so hang in there.

If you wind up hating your Mac, I'm sure there are people here in the forum who'd be happy to take it off your hands :):
    I'm sure I'll like it too! thumb.gif Just like I liked my last new computer. naughty.gif

In truth, if the latest (human error induced) crash hadn't left my monitor mysteriously flickering, I probably wouldn't have bought the Mac. But I'm willing to pay a premium, this time, to test the "it just works" claim. If it delivers, I'll stay with my plan to get an updated Macbook Pro when they upgrade it with more memory and speed (in 12 months or so) and turn the Macbook into my traveling laptop.

We shall see! The pressure's on Apple, I wonder if Steve Job's sweating? naughty.gif
    Sid.
    edited June 1, 2006
    Thank you...
    colourbox wrote:
    If I'm reading this thread right, the problem and solution are covered in this post, or the tech note referenced in the post. It's one of the top issues listed when you first go to the Photoshop user forum page.

I actually found that link thru google, but was hoping the plist exchange would work -- moving files from previous system to current system folder... I was trying to avoid either taking a week to find my original disk, or waiting an hour to download a demo...

However, moving the file did not work. So I downloaded the demo, installed it on the desktop -- and that did the trick.
    edited June 1, 2006
    My mom...
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm sure I'll like it too! thumb.gif Just like I liked my last new computer. naughty.gif

In truth, if the latest (human error induced) crash hadn't left my monitor mysteriously flickering, I probably wouldn't have bought the Mac. But I'm willing to pay a premium, this time, to test the "it just works" claim. If it delivers, I'll stay with my plan to get an updated Macbook Pro when they upgrade it with more memory and speed (in 12 months or so) and turn the Macbook into my traveling laptop.

We shall see! The pressure's on Apple, I wonder if Steve Job's sweating? naughty.gif

Was talked into getting a Windows box by her friends who promised they'd be able to help her.

Well, a lot is her fault. She just has a rigid mental block against using a computer, period. But she bought the Windows box... and of course ran into problems of all sorts I couldn't even understand! Her friends couldn't even get her on the internet!

When I visited her last year I tried to get her windows box working, get online thru the senior citizen's internet thru the library... struggled with that. Had to visit the library to clairfy what was needed. Finally got the internet working. Then I had to struggle with setting up other stuff and I just found it extremely difficult, having been a Mac user since the Apple IIe.

I can do simple stuff in Windows -- real simple. But I had trouble locating a zip disk! How to make someone feel real dumb pretty quickly!

It's odd because some things are pretty similar, but just trying to get the network going, and the e-mail going drove me nearly crazy. I'd forget some place to enter some important stuff, or would click in the wrong place. It was a nightmare for me. I was almost beginning to get the hang of it when I had to leave.

A lot of things I DON'T like in the new OSX I found strangely familiar in Windows and that made me get a real queasy feeling in my tummy! I hate all this "business" stuff they've incorporated, like users, for instance. Drives me nuts.

I do see the reason for it, when I contracted at one design house... and I had my own user name and my own desktop and files... that was nice not having to wade thru everyone else's stuff... but all this admin password, permissions stuff drives me up the wall!

I hope it's been an easier transition for you to go from Windows to Mac then it would be for me to go from Mac to Windows. I mean I can be funtional, as long as the machine is turned on and everything's all set up. But the minute there's a problem I'm lost.

Where I used to work we had to hire an IT guy to get the Windows machines all fixed, and talking to each other, and sharing printers... and then trying to get them to talk to the Mac. The Mac was able to talk to them... and share the printers! Some things we wished for, were just never fixed.

Anyway, I hope you can make friends with your Mac and that it works out for you.
    edited June 1, 2006
    thumb.gif Thanks Dee.

I haven't received the machine yet, I'm thinking it will show up early next week.
    Sid.