Meet Sarah

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
edited June 2, 2006 in People
This is my oldest daughter Sarah. This was shot about 2 1/2 months ago, while I was setting up for my other daughter and her boyfriend, who never did show up. I wasn't finished with the lights, there is no background light or hair light for example, but I wanted to test the ratio between key and fill. Sarah reluctantly agreed to pose.

I wasn't sure I wanted to show it here, but the more I look at it, the better I like it.

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This is my oldest daughter Sarah. This was shot about 2 1/2 months ago, while I was setting up for my other daughter and her boyfriend, who never did show up. I wasn't finished with the lights, there is no background light or hair light for example, but I wanted to test the ratio between key and fill. Sarah reluctantly agreed to pose.

I wasn't sure I wanted to show it here, but the more I look at it, the better I like it.

ziggy53

Nice shot Ziggy.

You did a good job of short lighting her face to reduce the roundness. I might suggest a little heavier ratio and letting the broad side go darker, which would further reduce the heaviness of her cheek. The hand pose make the cheek heavy thing worse, but it works for the mood. A higher camera angle could do more as well. The color is good, maybe a little pink but a healthy pink. A hairlight would add a lot, but as you said she was just acting as an unenthusiastic exposure aid.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    Ziggy.
    This is a nice picture.
    At a more detailed look one can see she is not that happy about beeing shot...ne_nau.gif
    But parents insist and they - sometimes - obbey. :):
    My daughter is Sara also.
    Regards thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This is my oldest daughter Sarah. I wasn't sure I wanted to show it here, but the more I look at it, the better I like it.

And I have a daughter Sarah as well ... (we both have beautiful Sarahs ... and I suspect Sara is equally as comely.

Gary

Oh Yeah ... nice photo Ziggy53 ... and most importantly ... pretty good lighting.

My Sarah (prom time) -
    72778215-L.jpg
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    And my daughter Sarah.. hehe

RJW_2509.jpg
    edited June 1, 2006
    I will show you may Sara when I'll have a picture of her.
    The problem now is that my back-up CDs are not with me...ne_nau.gif
    Nice Saras !!!...
    edited June 1, 2006
    Here I post a picture of my daughter Sara, by her mother.
    I photoshoped a little ...:):
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    Hi, ziggy
    Your daughter Sarah is pretty.
    Great photo!clap.gif

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited June 2, 2006
    Hi, ziggy
    Great photo!clap.gif

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    Thank you for the comment
    Regards thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 2, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    Nice shot Ziggy.

You did a good job of short lighting her face to reduce the roundness. I might suggest a little heavier ratio and letting the broad side go darker, which would further reduce the heaviness of her cheek. The hand pose make the cheek heavy thing worse, but it works for the mood. A higher camera angle could do more as well. The color is good, maybe a little pink but a healthy pink. A hairlight would add a lot, but as you said she was just acting as an unenthusiastic exposure aid.

I agree about the lighting ratio. I don't understand about how a higher angle would help. Do you have any examples?

"unenthusiastic exposure aid" to say the least. All my kids hate when I photograph them.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited June 2, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    And I have a daughter Sarah as well ... (we both have beautiful Sarahs ... and I suspect Sara is equally as comely.

Gary

Oh Yeah ... nice photo Ziggy53 ... and most importantly ... pretty good lighting.

My Sarah (prom time) -
    72778215-L.jpg

"...we both have beautiful Sarahs" Yes we do, don't we. I mean all the young ladies featured in this thread are so beautiful. It kinda makes me want to change the thread name to, "Meet our beautiful Sarahs and Saras".

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited June 2, 2006
    And my daughter Sarah.. hehe

RJW_2509.jpg

I can honestly say that I don't usually respond to just any "FatNakedGuy", but this image makes me reconsider (in your case, but just yours.):):

Another beautiful Sarah! I guess the name Sarah really means, "Beautiful Eyes", because that's what I notice most in each and every one of these images first.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited June 2, 2006
    Here I post a picture of my daughter Sara, by her mother.
    I photoshoped a little ...:):

Another beautiful Sara!

I wonder if this is the angle Blurmore was referring to? None the less, a wonderful image.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited June 2, 2006
    Hi, ziggy
    Great photo!clap.gif

Take Care,
    Chuck,

Thanks Chuck!

I think all these girls deserve a round of applause.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Great pics guys! thumb.gif

I love the pouty teenager. Mine gets pretty tired of being my guenea pig. "Nia, I need to do a lighting check, could you come here please" In she come with that slow shuffling walk of a pouty teen... Ah! So much fun! Occaisionally I do it just to torment her! rolleyes1.gif

This thing with all the Sara(h)'s has been fun!

We should keep this going. Maybe Saturday we can have Stephanie's, Sunday we could have Mary's, Monday could be Angie's, and on, and on...

I have a Jordan and a Nia, maybe I can get Nia when she's not pouting!

OHH! Even better Idea, we should all post pics of our kids that we have taken, but the catch is they HAVE to be pouty and mad about getting their pics taken. I have DOZENS of those!

Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I guess the name Sarah really means, "Beautiful Eyes", because that's what I notice most in each and every one of these images first.

Thanks,

ziggy53

"Princess" with beautiful eyes.

Gary

PS- My daughters (The Girls), Sarah and Amy love to have their pixs taken. So if you need experimental material just give them a call. (I don't have any studio lights ... if I did I'm sure The Girls would be pouting by now also.
    G
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited June 2, 2006
    Bakat wrote:
    ... we should all post pics of our kids that we have taken, but the catch is they HAVE to be pouty and mad about getting their pics taken. I have DOZENS of those!

Kat

Kat,

Go for it!

Start a thread and I'll be there. I have some most unflattering stuff of my kids.mwink.gif

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited June 2, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Another beautiful Sara!

I wonder if this is the angle Blurmore was referring to? None the less, a wonderful image.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Thank you Ziggy !
    As I wrote before the credits are for my wife. She took the picture.
    Nice of you.thumb.gif