Patched Portals

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited June 7, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges

Comments

• sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    clap.gif

surely you know by now I am a deserted building nut of the broken windows persuasion ..........

I LOVE it :D
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    I really like it and think it will be a real contenda'. I wonder if it might not be just a little dark (can't tell too well on this POS monitor I have at work).
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 1, 2006
    I really like it and think it will be a real contenda'. I wonder if it might not be just a little dark (can't tell too well on this POS monitor I have at work).
    i agree. great shot but a little dark. and it needs to be straightened just a smidge.

nice work angelo!
    Pedal faster
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 1, 2006
    clap.gif

surely you know by now I am a deserted building nut of the broken windows persuasion ..........

I LOVE it :D

Yeaaaa, thank you :D
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    very nice thumb.gif - I think this works well for the contest.
    edited June 1, 2006

You may be right. I'll work on brightening up. Thanks thumb.gif
    edited June 1, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i agree. great shot but a little dark. and it needs to be straightened just a smidge.

nice work angelo!

Hey thanks -

actually I can't straighten the image any more than I already have. If you notice there are competing level lines. If I level the horizontal lines of the building I'll throw the lamp post off vertical. I think this version is the lesser of two evils.
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    I'm not sure if you've lightened the photo or not yet. I kind of like the dullness of the light. In the instant study, I think it adds a certain feel to the shot. Somewhat speaking to the decay, disaffection, and abandonment.

Definitely a keeper, either way.thumb.gif
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    this grab anyone as interesting?
    I like so much your photo that I do not resist the temptation of critizing it.

Can you shoot again ?

If you do, get more of the building to the sides and up.

Take the picture with a wider angle or at a longer distance with a tele.

I think, because of the deformation of perspective regards mm of lens, may be the 85mm or up would be better ...

Theses lenses don't curve the lines so much but stack everything...

Then, crop with the rule of the 3.eds placing the lamp vertical on the third vertical left side or puting the stairs on the
    third vertical right side.

Test.

See what you like best or show us if you wish.

Did I explain myself ? Hope so.
    http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut023.htm = for the rule of thirds and
    http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/tilt.shtml
    about tilt

Did I overdo it ?
    Regards. thumb.gif

All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Looks good to me Angelo
    Old building,nice bricks,nice windows,cool fire escape what more do you need ? :D
    Antonio has some good ideas also.

Fred
  • trossnageltrossnagel Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    I love it - VERY creative...
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey thanks -

actually I can't straighten the image any more than I already have. If you notice there are competing level lines. If I level the horizontal lines of the building I'll throw the lamp post off vertical. I think this version is the lesser of two evils.
    Hi Angelo I don't know if you have photoshop . If you do there is a way to sort out all the competing lines so they all look correct.

Firstly pull down & across rulers so that you have horizontal & vertical rulers to act as guides & then straighten u p the pic so that the horizon is straight. Once you've done that go back to the transform tool & select the distort tool. Pull a corner of the pic carefully so that the vertical starts to look straight & hey presto you should have apic where everything is as it should be. You can also use the perspective transform tool as well, but distort is "freer" in what it will allow you to amend. If you check out my "Out and About" Gellery & have a look at the pic of a painted salamander going up a wall, I used this technique to get it staright as the perspective was really skewed on it because of the way I'd had to take the pic

Also if you hold down the shift keey while dragging the corner, it will move in a straight line rather than all over the place.

Hope that helps
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    I really like it, great stuff. :):