Girl reading

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited June 4, 2006 in People
There are 2 stories behind this photo. First one: very simple - the book is a gift for "children's day", something we used to celebrate on 1st of June back in Poland, and kept the tradition here in Australia within our family.

Second - a bit more dramatic. This is a first photo with my new Tamron 28-75. I bought it via a well known forum (not here). I paid promptly, the money was accepted and ... nothing. The seller vanished, did not return any emails etc. You can imagine my frustration and anger. I lodged the complaint with both the forum and Paypal and the moment his account was locked he miraculously emailed me back. Claiming he does not check his emails often and he is sending the lens (1 week later). This is from USA to Australia so more waiting, and finally today it arrived and I'd say looking just at this very first photo I am going to have fun with it.

misia-reading-IMG_2089.jpg

Since there were 2 stories here is a second, "creative" version of the same:
misia-reading-IMG_2089bw.jpg

Comments

• Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    paranoia is starting to set iin -145 views and not one comment. Is it that bad and you are so polite? Don't be - I can take criticism. Laughing.gif - can I?
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Sometimes people don't reply. Sometimes they do. Never take it personal. :D If you want actual critiques you can always try the whipping post forum.thumb.gif

My observations:

The book as a subject is not very exciting. Even without the selective color, it is more colorful than the child and dominates the shot. Thus it becomes more of a subject than a compliment to the shot of the girl. It pulls me away from her and once I'm there, I get bored.

I would try differnet angles and more with the girl enjoying the book. Try to capture her excitement and interest in reading the book with her being the main subject and the book as a secondary compliment to the shot.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    Nice to hear that PayPal came through for you. I also have this lens and totally love it.

If you want comment/critique, ask for it. People will say something then. Like Khaos say, if you really want to be beaten up a bit, get one of your very best photos and post it to the Whipping Post, but read the rules first - it's just good etiquette to know and follow the rules.

I agree with Khaos. The selective colorization is a fun technique but should be used to help emphasize the subject/focus. In the color version, it looks, on my monitor, as if you have some yellow cast going. Is this intended?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 3, 2006
    yes, too much yellow in the first-

nice photo otherwise-

don't care much for the second- I do like some selective coloring but this doesn't work for me and there's something to the bw conversion I'm not excited about (some posterization? the contrast? sorry-not sure)-

anyway, thanks for posting and chill out about no responses--it happens-

I think I'll start a thread on how to optimize responses to a post-

ha! watch me not get any responses!!-
    edited June 4, 2006
    Thanks for the input. I have removed the yellow cast from the first photo. I must admit it does look more natural. I am leaving the B&W as is because I like it.

I do know many people look at the photos and never comment - I was not really all that upset or paranoid, Laughing.gif. I am quite an easy going person.
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    Thanks for the input. I have removed the yellow cast from the first photo. I must admit it does look more natural. I am leaving the B&W as is because I like it.

I do know many people look at the photos and never comment - I was not really all that upset or paranoid, Laughing.gif. I am quite an easy going person.

Hi Ted

Thats a difficult shot to take - thats why I've yet to attempt one. I think its a good shot - really nice and clean but if there was a way to make it look more candid then it would be much better. Like Khaos pointed out I think the books title is quiet distracting.

Cheers

HArjTT

thumb.gifD
    edited June 4, 2006
    HArjTT, thanks for understanding - this was not an easy shot.

Take a person and place a noticeable subject in their hand and immediately you have 2 forces pulling against each other. Perhaps this should be a subject of one of the challenges to see how well people deal with such situation.
    harjtt wrote:
    Hi Ted

Thats a difficult shot to take - thats why I've yet to attempt one. I think its a good shot - really nice and clean but if there was a way to make it look more candid then it would be much better. Like Khaos pointed out I think the books title is quiet distracting.

Cheers

HArjTT

thumb.gifD