Sensor Cleaning...I'm Screwed!

2»

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Okay...So I think I'm the stupidest guy in this forum for sure.

I decided to take Gus's advice and figured...what do I have to loose? So I took the wet swab and rubbed it on the filter over and over again, in every direction, with a pretty good amount of force. Then I used the dry swab and noticed that several of the marks had disappeared. After a while (~20 minutes!), the larger "scratches" started turning into smears, and after several cycles of wet and dry, I had a crystal clear lens!

This wasn't dirt, but more like something had solidified to the glass and after cleaning it again and again, it eventually broke down and smeared all over the place.

Before starting this thread, I had cleaned it several times, wet and dry, with no results. I also cleaned it a couple more times during the thread.

Thank you all for your patience and advice!:D

I must ask - in the picture, how can you tell if it's dust or scratches? What are you looking for?

All easy to have hindsight but from a bloke whom wears glasses.. it didnt look like scratches but more a glue or oil. Anyone who wears glasses knows what i mean...sorta like getting spider web on them...you can scrub them with solvents for ages & it still wont move.
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    gus wrote:
    This is the whole thing that i cant get my head around. I have cleaned my filter once..yes once in 14 months. I shot a thousand in this last month swapping lenses over & over when the dust died off a little. I seriously dont know how people get so much crap in there headscratch.gif I open mine when its windy & raining...when its smokey..i ignor any advise but its just fine..it really is. I do give it a blow with my rocket blower every few months or so. Sure i could prob see some spots there if i did a f22 but i cant see anything in photos. Sometimes i wonder if all this cleaning is actually adding to the crap in there.

I'm with you! I never cleaned it. Then I got tired of cloning a couple of spots so I blew it out. Then, a couple weeks later I had three spots so I blew it out again but instead of no spots...I had 7-8 spots! It seemed that the more I blew, the worse it got.

Does anyone else use compressed air? I heard it's not recommended. I'm currently using a large bulb blower.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I'm with you! I never cleaned it. Then I got tired of cloning a couple of spots so I blew it out. Then, a couple weeks later I had three spots so I blew it out again but instead of no spots...I had 7-8 spots! It seemed that the more I blew, the worse it got.

Does anyone else use compressed air? I heard it's not recommended. I'm currently using a large bulb blower.
    Its an arguable point..sorta like a 'my master is better than your master' type argument. I wont use it....i just use a hand pump rocket blower. Most compressed air got to be compressed by going through a compressor & they have a small amount of oil in the air for lubrication. Thus the oil will atomise & go where ever the air does.
    edited June 2, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Its an arguable point..sorta like a 'my master is better than your master' type argument. I wont use it....i just use a hand pump rocket blower. Most compressed air got to be compressed by going through a compressor & they have a small amount of oil in the air for lubrication. Thus the oil will atomise & go where ever the air does.

That's a good thought.

Although, I worked a lot with industrial compressors and we were always able to filter the air which we considered "instrument air". I would imagine they would do the same for the compressed air cans but who knows. ne_nau.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Rick - Thank you for the offer!

I'm planning on sending this off to Canon first thing Monday Morning...I think.

Next time your up in Bakersfield let me know and we'll get together!

Thank you again - Kevin

I can come out tomorrow (Friday). Let me know if this works for you. I need to be back in Los Angeles by 5pm for a concert however so it'll need to be around 10am or so

wellerphotography at gmail dot com
  • FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    ahhhhh, sounds like you have it fixed now? cool! disregard then please.
    I can come out tomorrow (Friday). Let me know if this works for you. I need to be back in Los Angeles by 5pm for a concert however so it'll need to be around 10am or so

edited June 2, 2006

Thank you Rick but I'm actually in Yuba City, CA. :D I have a shoot on Sunday and I'm visiting some family as well. I won't be in Bakersfield until Tues. or Wed.

- Kevin
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Here's a pic of the sensor...:cry

72846541-L.jpg
    If those were scratches on the hot mirror, I think it would be time to turn this camera into a full-on IR :):

But yeah, I'm glad you were able to resolve it.
    edited June 2, 2006
    ahhhhh, sounds like you have it fixed now? cool! disregard then please.

Thank you anyways, I really appreciate your offer!

- Kevin
    edited June 2, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    If those were scratches on the hot mirror, I think its time to turn this camera into a full-on IR :):

But yeah, I'm glad you were able to resolve it.

I haven't checked into this whole IR thing. I saw it mentioned in some threads but never followed up on it.

Is there a thread that goes into details about it? I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't know anything about it!:D

- Kevin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited June 2, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Okay...So I think I'm the stupidest guy in this forum for sure.

... after several cycles of wet and dry, I had a crystal clear filter!

Don't beat yourself up for solving your problem! Persistance paid off. I am so happy that's all it was. Now you will know what to do and we can call on you for help and an informed opinion relating to similar issues.

You da man!

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Hey Kevin,

Just saw this thread ... man that was a close one ... I am constantly changing lenses lenses ... so I need to clean the sensor filter about once every two weeks or so. Never had your problem. I use Eclispe and a pec pad. That glue/oil had to come from somewhere ... I'd try a new wet/dry swab on a filter just to see if somehow the substance came from your cleaner fluid or applicators.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:

No, don't use a can. Propellant spits out. you don't want that on your sensor filter.

Rocket blower never worked for me, just moved the crap around.

I use the Visible Dust brush. Insanely pricey, but it works, so far at least.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Yikes!
    You guys are scaring me! I'm never going to clean my sensor!!! :uhoh
    edited June 2, 2006
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    I think this is a good example of why to not use compressed air. I suspect that's where it got so bad. I have only had to clean my sensor once in 18 months. The spots were very tenacious & took about 8-9 attempts to get rid of, ut did eventuially go away. I use the Copperhill kit & it works well.
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    IR Threads
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I haven't checked into this whole IR thing. I saw it mentioned in some threads but never followed up on it.

Is there a thread that goes into details about it? I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't know anything about it!:D

I think you have to do a search to find more about it ... I just had my old Dreb modified for IR-only photography. You can also go to lifepixel.com and get a nice tutorial on the subject.

Congrats on the sensor!!! clap.gif
    edited June 2, 2006
    So after several cleanings, this is what my sensor looks like. Is it possible to get it completely clean? I'll try some of the other cleaning recommendations when I get back home. I tried my palm blower again and it blew all kinds of stuff on the filter!

73063496-L.jpg

- Kevin
  • silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Sensor cleaning is starting to resemble cult behavior rather than a science. We've got tape, fluids, wipes, brushes, compressed air, uncompressed air, and vacuums. I may have missed some other method. There's an "authority" for each method, who swears by the superiority for their favorite. I've seen some rather ugly forum arguments on the relative merits of this or that cleaning system. You could spend hundreds of dollars if you bought all the various cleaning methods that are promoted.

In addition, the effect of particles or smudges on the sensor can often be corrected in photoshop, so how clean does a clean sensor have to be? :):
    I was always puzzled by the fact that people have a great deal of trouble and pain when and if they are forced or feel forced to change a belief or circumstance which they hold dear. I found what I believe is the answer when I read that a Canadian neurosurgeon discovered some truths about the human mind which revealed the intensity of this problem. He conducted some experiments which proved that when a person is forced to change a basic belief or viewpoint, the brain undergoes a series of nervous sensations equivalent to the most agonizing torture. -Sidney Madwed
    edited June 2, 2006
    silica wrote:
    Sensor cleaning is starting to resemble cult behavior rather than a science. We've got tape, fluids, wipes, brushes, compressed air, uncompressed air, and vacuums. I may have missed some other method. There's an "authority" for each method, who swears by the superiority for their favorite. I've seen some rather ugly forum arguments on the relative merits of this or that cleaning system. You could spend hundreds of dollars if you bought all the various cleaning methods that are promoted.

In addition, the effect of particles or smudges on the sensor can often be corrected in photoshop, so how clean does a clean sensor have to be? :):

I'm with you. This is one of those times where you wish there was only ONE solution.

As far as correcting, it's no problem to clone them out but when you have a 100-300 quanity shoot, you get a little tired of cloning out the same little dots! :D

- Kevin
    edited June 3, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    So after several cleanings, this is what my sensor looks like. Is it possible to get it completely clean? I'll try some of the other cleaning recommendations when I get back home. I tried my palm blower again and it blew all kinds of stuff on the filter!

73063496-L.jpg

Be careful using bulb blowers:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=136991&postcount=111

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited June 3, 2006
    Another thing about bulb blowers, never use then in a dusty environment. They will suck in the dusty air and then blow it directly where you point it. If you are trying to clean your sensor, you may be making it worse.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    I think most of this is just- god knows what. However, I don't think you have any scratches. perhaps too much sensor cleaner on the swab mixed with mulch, mud and splat. I would suggest a dry brush blown with air to clean and charge the fibers. Clean 5-6 times blowing the brush each time. Then swab lightly at first, only two drops on swab. May take 3-5 times. Slow approach here. Do not blow can air in the camera. You will get splat.
    Another thought, after cleaning all loose dust, clean with a little more pressure on the swab. Very light strokes won't get those stuck on goobers.
    Bob
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:

73063496-S.jpg
    I just saw this thread - I've been busy (actually taking pictures for a change).

I'm surprised no-one pointed you to this thread

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=244195

In direct anwer to your question, have a look at my post on that thread

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=244195&postcount=162

It shows before and after pictures. The before looks a lot like your current shot.

After going down that road, I can say that the Cooper Hill kit is both inexpensive and effective. If you read the instructions they supply on-line and practice a few times with a CD jewel case, you should probably do all right getting the sensor filter cleaned up.
  • graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Thank you all for your comments.

I'm planning on going back to the camera store first thing in the morning and getting a refund on this kit! I can't believe how easy I went from a little problem to a really big problem!

The dry swabs are so big that they only fit one way. Even worse, the wiping surface isn't even straight so when you wipe, your only using ~1/10th of the swab!

That's nice to hear that I'm not actually touching the sensor, but either way, I have to send it to Canon.

FYI - The picture IS NOT the mirror, it is the sensor/filter.

I got a big shoot on Sunday so I don't want to risk anymore damage.

Wether it's streaks, particles stuck on the filter, or actual scratches, I think I'll play it safe and send it to Canon first thing on Monday. I'll try anything and everything possible before I do though!

So...What does everyone else do to clean their sensors??? Where did I go wrong???

Thank you all - it's great to have all of this support!!!:D

i use that super soft brush and a blower. i've never had stuff stuck to my sensor luckily clap.gif clean enough for me, usually theres one spot, but i just remove it in photoshop anyways hehe:):
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    You guys are scaring me! I'm never going to clean my sensor!!! :uhoh

my photography teacher in high school gave me advice: best way to keep it clean...don't get it dirty in the first place. sounds dumb, but i'm very quick and protective of my gear when swapping lenses...or just replacing the lense cap.
    edited June 3, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Another thing about bulb blowers, never use then in a dusty environment. They will suck in the dusty air and then blow it directly where you point it. If you are trying to clean your sensor, you may be making it worse.

ziggy53

ziggy53 - thanks for the link - I think that's exactly what happened. When I cleaned it yesterday, I had one little spec left after several cleanings so I figured I could just blow it off. So I shot the blower into the camera 5-6 times, looked at the glass and it was covered in spots!

- Kevin
    edited June 3, 2006
    I just saw this thread - I've been busy (actually taking pictures for a change).

I'm surprised no-one pointed you to this thread

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=244195

In direct anwer to your question, have a look at my post on that thread

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=244195&postcount=162

It shows before and after pictures. The before looks a lot like your current shot.

After going down that road, I can say that the Cooper Hill kit is both inexpensive and effective. If you read the instructions they supply on-line and practice a few times with a CD jewel case, you should probably do all right getting the sensor filter cleaned up.

Thank you Scott. I'm glad I'm not the only one cleaning my sensor 20 times in one night!

I think I'm satisfied with my current results until I can get another kit from someone like Cooper Hill.

- Kevin
    edited June 3, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    my photography teacher in high school gave me advice: best way to keep it clean...don't get it dirty in the first place. sounds dumb, but i'm very quick and protective of my gear when swapping lenses...or just replacing the lense cap.

Unfortunatly, it's still going to happen. I rarely change lenses and if I do I'm extremely careful as well but I'm constantly cleaning my sensor. Of coarse, I'm in Bakersfield, we live in the dirt.:D

- Kevin
  • trademachertrademacher Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2006
    Sensor Cleaning
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    ziggy53 - thanks for the link - I think that's exactly what happened. When I cleaned it yesterday, I had one little spec left after several cleanings so I figured I could just blow it off. So I shot the blower into the camera 5-6 times, looked at the glass and it was covered in spots!

I've been there before and I tried the cleaning to no avail. I ended up taking it to the store where I bought it and in no time it was cleaned .No charge either.They know I'll be back and I have. Nothing better than small town service.